Sports What is the best form of self defence to learn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Did 3 years of Tai Kwon Do under US instructors and honestly there is sfa that I ever would/could use in a real life scenario. Maybe a few blocks and being able to punch with force without breaking my wrist are the only practical things I would spontaneously use. I would be risking my well being to try any more than that.

Even they emphasised prevention is better than engagement. There is nothing wrong with running.

This is a good point regarding ex military. But only serious types.

Good example: A lot of Israeli's go to Thailand after finishing their mandatory service with the IDF. I've lost count of how many of these blokes end up getting their arses handed to them by Thai "Street fighters" using bottles, knives, pool cues etc. despite being a half of the size of the roided up soldiers.

Last year I'm pretty sure the Israeli ambassadors son got killed and his bodyguards sustained some pretty serious injuries around Koh Pha Ngan. Those guys would have had hands on experience, probably experts in Krav Maga etc. but a few locals who know the place and have been in dozens if not hundreds of fights with large groups of aggressive tourists beat the living hell out of them.
My experience in Thailand is do not mess with the locals. They may be small but there's many, their national sport is a deadly martial art and they go batshit crazy when they get angry. I've seen a few dickhead tourists badly beaten because they thought they could beat up the little Thai guy or do a runner on their bar tab.

Check what is close first. Because if the gym isn't close you won't go.
Then choose a martial art that has proven itself effective in competition.
Then only select a gym that spars on a regular basis (i.e every class).
You will be left with Boxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling, BJJ and Judo.
Any of these will be suitable.

Also type bullshido into google and you will learn everything you need to know about what is good and what is bad when it comes to martial arts.

Unfortunately, those examples you cite are perfect for the sucker punch, the glassing, the coward punch, and no tolerance for talk.

If that's the type of reaction that's "expected" from a simple accidental nudge or spill of a bit of beer, maybe you need to reconsider the type of places you go to and the people you hang around with.

The fact that the OP feels it necessary to know how to defend himself shows that the idiot caveman mindset is prevailing over normal, sane modern human interaction.

Have always found karate is always good but it's not for all. As is kick boxing. You might be interested in those sorts of sports. Even wrestling might be your thing. Good luck with whatever you choose. But yeah try not to hang around the bad crowds.

Wing Chun is pretty good for fast and hard striking, not great on the ground though, but good for beginners in that they teach you the right distance to put between you and your attacker as well as some great locking and control techniques. Maybe BJJ for the ground game and Wing Chun for striking. Don't bother with Taekwondo, you're never gonna pull off mad kicks in a real fight, and if you do there's a real risk of you getting your arse kicked.

Kickboxing or Muay Thai could be good too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back