Australia's 'lack of good manners'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I still recall 'Spanky' Roebuck's absurd reaction to the spiteful Sydney Test against India back in 2007-08, when he was so offended by Australia's behaviour that he called for Ricky Ponting to be sacked as captain. Read it again if you've forgotten. That would have been good for a laugh if that had been the end of it. Sadly, quite a few dickheads got dragged along for the ride. And now we have a whiff of that with Greg Baum's piece in the Fairfax press today.

It must have been dictated using one of those electronic voiceboxes that Stephen Hawking uses because I'm pretty sure Mr Baum was stroking his chin while simultaneously tearing the ears off his micro-penis while compiling this piece of s**t.

Look at how absurdly overwrought the whole thing is. Australia's WC victory was somehow diminished by some tepid sledging? Seriously? Oh, 'a stain on the cup', because Australia gave a couple of gentle send-offs. Please, fetch me the smelling salts. I feel a little giddy.

Australia play combative cricket. That's how it is. It's part of the arsenal. As long as it doesn't tip over into vilification or something that produces an unfair advantage, no one associated with Australian cricket should ever apologise for it. The Kiwis, to their credit, don't seem to have any complaints so where does this ridiculous hand-wringing come from?

To begin with, this notion that Australia are the only team who says anything salty on the field needs to be dispelled. Australia are just the most conspicuous because the swagger is integral to them playing winning cricket. It's easier to dismiss it when England do it because it's clearly just false bravado designed to compensate for the fact they're s**t. But with, Australia, the aggression and bullishness isn't just pantomime confidence and, apparently, that makes it unpalatable.

Well, hard cheese. How do these people stand watching AFL or either rugby code? Sometimes players even push each other. My goodness – they make beasts of themselves! How many ways did Hawthorn 'stain the premiership cup' last season?

Within one day of Australia having a world champion cricket team, there's this little nub of people already trying to diminsh the achievement because of 'the manner in which they won', as though they bowled underarm or tampered with the ball. It's professional sport, you dickheads! You're allowed to bully your opponent if they let you. But if winning a World Cup was as easy as telling the batsman he's s**t, everyone would do it. The reality is that sledging is a complete sideshow and has little or no effect on the result.

The Ashes are coming up. I hope Australia go over and pull England to pieces in the most hostile, most aggressive way possible, ending several careers and decimating the entire administration and senior leadership. I hope we burn their house down and leave a really nasty taste in their pouty little mouths. They've spent the last 18 months in a long, languid circle-jerk of incompetence while their tame gimp press try to find a silver lining in a pile of s**t. They deserve nothing less than abject humiliation. Then, as is standard, we'll be treated to the familiar refrain of how 'Australians have no class'. Like that's an insult coming from England, whose entire cricketing culture is built on the idea of class and the establishment knowing best – and is eternally neutered as a result. Let's have another cucumber sandwich and discuss who won the competition of manners while quietly covering up a paedo ring.

In the meantime, Australia should bask in having a champion side again. And Baum should be locked away in a dark little room with only the echoes of 'Spanky' Roebuck's heavy breathing, sexually repressed indignation and sweaty, self-loathing Englishness for company.

Last edited:

You can always tell when Australia is winning ... opposition countries complain about our behaviour. Funny how other countries can dish it out but can't take it huh? Flashback: 2013-14 Ashes series. First Test, Australia 6/132 and looking down the barrel. Trott, Swan, Anderson, just to name a few arrogantly sprouting off, giving batsmen send offs, etc. The moment Australia got on top, there were complaints to umpires about things said to them, and players going home because they couldn't handle the heat. It's time some of these sooks grew up.

Bizarre article - lauds Elliott for his supposed good behaviour, but ignores how he charged up to Warner and got in his face before the first ball was even bowled on Sunday? Riaz' histrionics apparently fine?

Just the standard "one rule for Australia, another for everyone else" rubbish on player behaviour that pops up whenever we've had a bit of success.

It's always funny whenever this happens. Everyone knows we sledge, we admit we sledge, we've done it since we've had a cricket team, yet there is always an uproar when we do it. So while all the 'gentlemen' are angry about the nasty aussies we're the 5 time World Cup winners.

Admire the way NZ and SA play more than the way we do, but who's held the cup 5 times and who's never won it?

Did you miss the SA vs india test series? Both sides went at it non stop.

All the media whinging does make me laugh, nasser of all people crying in the comm box was a classic, he was a notorious sledger and i can remember some brutal encounters between SA and england in his time but i guess that was hard nosed cricket not sledging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will never change. The Pakistani quick getting into Watson was lauded as great cricket but when an Aussies does it the world is going to end. Sledging is a part of life for most people I know. We enjoy taking the piss out of each other and others.

Soft as Darwin butter that article.

Australian cricketers are generally dickheads on the field (and they're not alone) but always shake hands afterwards. As long as it's not racist, physical or otherwise against the laws of the game then they can play how they want.

Their record speaks for itself.

I think you only seem to hear about our 'poor behaviour' when we're on top. You heard all about it back in the Ponting and Waugh days, but not when we were being belted in India and over in the England. Yet they laud India and Pakistan's 'fiery-ness' as a huge part of their game

I still recall 'Spanky' Roebuck's absurd reaction to the spiteful Sydney Test against India back in 2007-08, when he was so offended by Australia's behaviour that he called for Ricky Ponting to be sacked as captain. Read it again if you've forgotten. That would have been good for a laugh if that had been the end of it. Sadly, quite a few dickheads got dragged along for the ride. And now we have a whiff of that with Greg Baum's piece in the Fairfax press today.

It must have been dictated using one of those electronic voiceboxes that Stephen Hawking uses because I'm pretty sure Mr Baum was stroking his chin while simultaneously tearing the ears off his micro-penis while compiling this piece of s**t.

Look at how absurdly overwrought the whole thing is. Australia's WC victory was somehow diminished by some tepid sledging? Seriously? Oh, 'a stain on the cup', because Australia gave a couple of gentle send-offs. Please, fetch me the smelling salts. I feel a little giddy.

Australia play combative cricket. That's how it is. It's part of the arsenal. As long as it doesn't tip over into vilification or something that produces an unfair advantage, no one associated with Australian cricket should ever apologise for it. The Kiwis, to their credit, don't seem to have any complaints so where does this ridiculous hand-wringing come from?

To begin with, this notion that Australia are the only team who says anything salty on the field needs to be dispelled. Australia are just the most conspicuous because the swagger is integral to them playing winning cricket. It's easier to dismiss it when England do it because it's clearly just false bravado designed to compensate for the fact they're s**t. But with, Australia, the aggression and bullishness isn't just pantomime confidence and, apparently, that makes it unpalatable.

Well, hard cheese. How do these people stand watching AFL or either rugby code? Sometimes players even push each other. My goodness – they make beasts of themselves! How many ways did Hawthorn 'stain the premiership cup' last season?

Within one day of Australia having a world champion cricket team, there's this little nub of people already trying to diminsh the achievement because of 'the manner in which they won', as though they bowled underarm or tampered with the ball. It's professional sport, you dickheads! You're allowed to bully your opponent if they let you. But if winning a World Cup was as easy as telling the batsman he's s**t, everyone would do it. The reality is that sledging is a complete sideshow and has little or no effect on the result.

The Ashes are coming up. I hope Australia go over and pull England to pieces in the most hostile, most aggressive way possible, ending several careers and decimating the entire administration and senior leadership. I hope we burn their house down and leave a really nasty taste in their pouty little mouths. They've spent the last 18 months in a long, languid circle-jerk of incompetence while their tame gimp press try to find a silver lining in a pile of s**t. They deserve nothing less than abject humiliation. Then, as is standard, we'll be treated to the familiar refrain of how 'Australians have no class'. Like that's an insult coming from England, whose entire cricketing culture is built on the idea of class and the establishment knowing best – and is eternally neutered as a result. Let's have another cucumber sandwich and discuss who won the competition of manners while quietly covering up a paedo ring.

In the meantime, Australia should bask in having a champion side again. And Baum should be locked away in a dark little room with only the echoes of 'Spanky' Roebuck's heavy breathing, sexually repressed indignation and sweaty, self-loathing Englishness for company.

^^^
Mental images of this poster

nerds.jpg

Who the hell pumps that much hate into what is basically afew blokes hitting a ball around a field?
you need to take a long hard look yourself ,bud.

Australia back on top. Let the outrage begin and my tip is to soak it up.

The cricketing world is never more offended than when Australia is winning. I don't know about anyone else but I really missed us making other nations cry to mummy (umpires, media etc.)

Long may it continue.

I always enjoyed a moral grub like Spanky attempting to teach others good behaviour. A delightful irony.

Apparently a few harsh words and gestures and a bit of yelling is enough to seriously upset professional sportsmen. Perhaps not as much as it upsets the guardians of everyone else's moral code. I really do fear for the standard of modern journalism in general, it's so geared to forcing opinions down everyone's throat that its nearly impossible to find news anymore. And when you do find "news" its some least common denominator car chase in bum* USA.
I can't watch the news on TV anymore, don't start me on current affairs type programs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back