What is your Favourite Melbourne game?

Remove this Banner Ad

2002 Semi against Adelaide. Was an amazing game. We were down by 60 odd points early in the second quarter, then staged an incredible comeback and at 3/4 time were 22 points up. But the effort expended in that 90 point turnaround left us buggered, and they eventually beat us by 2 goals. Was a terrific game and I remember Yze had a blinder.
I rekon Travis played out of his skin that night to get us back in the game, could be wrong though.. that is certainly in the top five for my most exciting even though it ended disappointingly

Also absolutely loved 98, even though I was only 10.. we belted Richmond in front of 90,000+ in round 22 when they thought they were finals bound and the wiz took THAT MARK.. then we belted Adelaide (eventual premiers), St kilda and i still think we should of beat North.. we were flying that year, that really was our chance at a flag..

2000 QF against Essendon. The 1998 and 2000 seasons in general #memories.

2006 Elimination Final for me, I was at the game with my dad in a corporate box filled with St Kilda supporters who had been giving us a serve all match. In the end my dad and I were completely smashed returning fire and ended up stumbling around town celebrating after the match.

I think it was the only time I went to the footy with my old man since I was an adult and it was a ripper of a night!

1994 Semi against Footscray for me. Lyon and Schwarz were massive - Lyon 10 goals 4 and Schwarz 2 goals plus a dozen or more marks - and they were both taken off for most of the last quarter. From memory, Footscray had a few players out (Hawkins and both rucks?), but started clear favourites. Game was tight early in the third then Lyon and Schwarz just went mental and we kicked 10 in a row.

Some of my favourites already up there, I'm going something different. Round 14 2002 vs Brisbane at the Gabba. 6 goals down at quarter time against the reigning premiers (and eventual premiers) and still 6 goals down early in the 3rd quarter then the Dees piled on 13 of the next 16 goals. Neitz kicked 7. I remember this as well because I saw a bit of the first quarter before taking my 7 year old cousin to see scooby doo the movie. I came home to be pleasantly surprised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last game of the season - Melb v Footscray at Whitten Oval 1987.
Needed to win and needed Hawks to beat Cats (Hawks red hot favourites) to make the finals for the first time since 1964.
We were 1 goal down at 3/4 time. Stormed home kicking 4 goals to their 1.
Robbie Flower turned it on in the second half.
Garry Lyon broke his leg.
Hawks won - just.
Pandemonium. Tears. Massive abuse to Simon Beasley. Euphoria. More tears. More abuse to Simon Beasley.
FINALS!
upload_2015-3-23_14-46-3.png
Thanks to Demonwiki fort the pic and stats.

Round 7, 2011 against Adelaide. It's the biggest win I've ever been to and I even bought it on DVD.

The Bailey days produced some massive wins, something I've really grown to miss since he was replaced as senior coach.

2000 prelim v Norf, I think. Vintage Farmer, wet dream forward line, great performance from our blue collar midfield, job done by our ugly bastard backline. I hated North back then. And Essendon. And Collingwood.

Following week was a disappointment.
Was a very relaxing prelim final, it's one of my favourites now for that reason as it seems insane to the modern Melbourne fan. Farmer destroyed Pickett and it was over by half time. What's his name for them kicked a bag too.

1994 Semi against Footscray for me. Lyon and Schwarz were massive - Lyon 10 goals 4 and Schwarz 2 goals plus a dozen or more marks - and they were both taken off for most of the last quarter. From memory, Footscray had a few players out (Hawkins and both rucks?), but started clear favourites. Game was tight early in the third then Lyon and Schwarz just went mental and we kicked 10 in a row.
Again another never in doubt one. They were down a key back and ruck and we smashed the s**t out of them. Jimmy killed them in the ruck, Lyon I don't think played at all in the last, Ox maybe a couple minutes, he 16 marks to that point and they were the contested forward type not the chip around ones. We were up by about 90 in the third, reckon we won by 80 in the end. Then we got killed by the roided up freaks over in Perth.

We've had some exciting finals over the years but I'm choosing to remember a long ago time when we could thump a good team.

Contenders include:

The 89 EF (my first game - sucked in Collingwood fans who took me)
Jakovich murders North in '91
St Kilda final 98
2000 QF
2000 prelim
The Freo comeback
St Kilda final 2006
Sydney 2010 and Adelaide 2011 (both tainted by what followed)
Essendon 2013
Essendon last year

But I can't go past Kardinia Park 2005 for going completely off my teet.

For a non-win I'd take the Queen's Birthday draw.

Actually surprised that nobody mentioned the Freo game yet. The 2010 draw was pretty awesome too, hell i'd take another queens birthday draw this year

Also absolutely loved 98, even though I was only 10.. we belted Richmond in front of 90,000+ in round 22 when they thought they were finals bound and the wiz took THAT MARK.. then we belted Adelaide (eventual premiers), St kilda and i still think we should of beat North.. we were flying that year, that really was our chance at a flag..
North were just too good for us in the PF. They were the stand out team that year by a mile. Unfortunately for them they didn't capitalize on early chances in the GF & the Crows effectively stole the flag that year.
As far as a flag that we could have won goes I believe 1990 was our chance. It was very even that year. We finished 4th but were only one game away from the top. We beat Essendon twice & they finished first, Colingwood beat us & they finshed second, Beat West Coast twice who finished third & won one & lost one against the Hawks who finished 5th. We beat Hawthorn first week of the finals & then got a weeks rest after Collingwood & West Coast had a draw (They replayed all finals back then) Only for Garry Lyon to injure himself at training during the week & West Coast beat by 30 points thus ending our season.

Round 7, 2011 against Adelaide. It's the biggest win I've ever been to and I even bought it on DVD.

The Bailey days produced some massive wins, something I've really grown to miss since he was replaced as senior coach.
Hats off to Dean Bailey he got some great footy from such a mediocre side. ie one week we beat freo by 89 points that team was brilliant then the 88 points loss to Collingwood the next week brought us supporters back to reality. That year I think every Melbourne supporter was diagnosed with manic depression. Sadly these days there's no manic part.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back