What shits ya!

Remove this Banner Ad

hate it when you are at a job interview , or meeting somebody for the first time and you mistime the handshake, end up grabbing a few fingers or giving a wet fish..

its the worst! First impressions are hard to shaker, immediatly you are not a solid bloke cause you shake hands like that. But, it wasnt my normal shake, give me a re try!

hows that one when they talk to you for the first minute and dont let go, its just a constant up down up down - is he going to let go soon? its getting awks now.
Yeah, that blows. Especially when they try and strong arm you and stare like a maniac right into your eyes.

i knwo you should never judge on first impression but that soft handshake, i dunno, its hard to get past!

Oh my goodness, that is an absolute pet hate of mine. If I feel a weak handshake it makes me squeeze a bit harder, just to let them know their first impression is a bad one.

Oh my goodness, that is an absolute pet hate of mine. If I feel a weak handshake it makes me squeeze a bit harder, just to let them know their first impression is a bad one.

but when you go in there ready for the normal grip and they only offer you the bend half hand, you nearly crush it by accident, the power play is unintentional

but when you go in there ready for the normal grip and they only offer you the bend half hand, you nearly crush it by accident, the power play is unintentional

Yep, and I go slightly harder when I feel no resistance being offered. * them, it is rude I reckon. It's an indictment on them and their old man. I reckon I was about 5 when dad told me to give a firm squeeze when shaking hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what does that say for all these fist tappers and side saddle hand shakers?

I read somehwere the handshake and the salute first came about to show you were unarmed back in the wild west days, wonder how true it is

But in Braveheart, the Irish and the Scots shake hands at the Battle Of Stirling when the Irish turncoat on the Brits.

Are you saying a movie isn't an accurate reflection of historical events? Now I believe in nothing man.

You piqued my interest, so I did some google detective work, seems like handshakes are as varied as any other cultural nuance, the Japanese like it soft and gentle, Westerners like a nice firm one, Chinese let the handshake linger for a while, and there are ancient Greek(300-500BC) statues and carvings depicting handshakes, so it's an old practice.

I will throw in my 2 cents, I'm not terribly worried by a limp handshake, but I believe if you shake a persons hand you should look them in the eye, when people deliberately avoid eye contact I consider it disrespectful(Of course some people are just shy, so while not deliberate it's still a tad rude)

I will throw in my 2 cents, I'm not terribly worried by a limp handshake, but I believe if you shake a persons hand you should look them in the eye, when people deliberately avoid eye contact I consider it disrespectful(Of course some people are just shy, so while not deliberate it's still a tad rude)
Handshake must be firm otherwise it's just awkward. Nothing worse than the other person who just sticks their hand out there but does nothing with it.

I find it near impossible to maintain eye contact in conversation, feel like their eyes are burning a hole thru me. I understand it comes across as being disingenuous but I can't help it!
Nah fair enough in the conversation, it feels uncomfortable to stare into someone's eyes at length, I just meant the eye contact in the initial handshake, definitely more comfortable speaking with someone beside you while you're both observing somethng - like at the footy or in a car.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back