Analysis What support has the Club given Hardwick in the coaches box for this year ?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Rusty Trombone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2007
K Mart Car Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
World Donkey Punch Championships
Does anyone know if the club has made any appointments or instigated some sort of system to help Dimma on game days this year?

Personally I thought we might have added a senior assistant to take over the midfield and help Dimma on match days but this hasnt appeared to have happened.

Is there any appointments I have missed as other than Rutten I haven't heard of any further additions to the coaching staff and this seems negligent as the feed back I heard last year was that since Campo and Leppa left Hardwick was treading water in the coaches box and it was an area to be addressed in the off season.

Can anyone shed some light on this as I'm hoping I've missed a couple of appointments?

It's like they know his weakness and are preoared to let it go another year and hope something clicks for him.

Go to the RFC website, look at the staff members, scroll down to the footy department and then report back to us and tell us what you think is missing,

Oh and by the way, Hardwick's a legend, back to back finals and gunning for a 3rd straight.:D
Had a look on that and it looks a bit thin. So as in the OP has anyone heard anything we haven't or know of some sort of implemented strategy to help him or are they setting him up to fail?

St
Had a look on that and it looks a bit thin. So as in the OP has anyone heard anything we haven't or know of some sort of implemented strategy to help him or are they setting him up to fail?[/QUOTE

Strategy has been fixed. Someone in I.T. had a session with Dimma and showed him how to open extra tabs on his spreadsheet. So now he can scroll thru plan B, C and D.
The missing piece of the puzzle. Solved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely, and the proof was with Truck this year. We didn't replace Leppa until we got the 1 we wanted.
Exactly the way it should be. No point getting someone in just for the sake of getting someone in, then missing out on someone you really wanted

Exactly the way it should be. No point getting someone in just for the sake of getting someone in, then missing out on someone you really wanted

We have lost a fair bit of experience over a couple of years now and we aren't sure on how much time Chocco is going to be able to help out. Most clubs have got 1-2 experience assistants to help the senior coach. I would have thought we would have added some one with the experience to replace Leppa or Daly.
So really we haven't added much at all to the senior football department.... but we have definitely added to our development team via the new VFL.

I really think we needed to add someone from a successful rival club to add experience in getting that development program right. Its the main area I see as club we need to improve on. I would have poached someone to fast track that program.

We added an extra 1.9 million in football department spending and most of that would have been absorbed by the VFL side, so this year with no debt and increasing revenue I would imagine that alot of that 1.9 million could be funneled back into the senior squad because of alot of last years spending would have been spent on initial start up costs etc.... plus we would be looking at spending even more.

So going back to the points being made in the OP ..... We do seem light on in the experience stakes and have not addressed that over the off season even though we have the cash to spend.

Does the club have full confidence in the current football department to get it right in year 6? seems so.... and I truly hope so. But if I was in Dimmas shoes I would be asking the question ...Where is my support?

We have lost a fair bit of experience over a couple of years now and we aren't sure on how much time Chocco is going to be able to help out. Most clubs have got 1-2 experience assistants to help the senior coach. I would have thought we would have added some one with the experience to replace Leppa or Daly.
So really we haven't added much at all to the senior football department.... but we have definitely added to our development team via the new VFL.

I really think we needed to add someone from a successful rival club to add experience in getting that development program right. Its the main area I see as club we need to improve on. I would have poached someone to fast track that program.

We added an extra 1.9 million in football department spending and most of that would have been absorbed by the VFL side, so this year with no debt and increasing revenue I would imagine that alot of that 1.9 million could be funneled back into the senior squad because of alot of last years spending would have been spent on initial start up costs etc.... plus we would be looking at spending even more.

So going back to the points being made in the OP ..... We do seem light on in the experience stakes and have not addressed that over the off season even though we have the cash to spend.

Does the club have full confidence in the current football department to get it right in year 6? seems so.... and I truly hope so. But if I was in Dimmas shoes I would be asking the question ...Where is my support?
Lade & Ross Smith have been assistant coaches for a number of years now, Williams & Mellor have also been in the system a while as well. Rutten is the only one who is inexperienced given he has just become a coach, but a decade of playing at the highest level would hold him in good stead. With Chocco I still see him being involved a heap as the cancer he has is on the lower end of the scale if you get what I mean.

As I said no point in going out and chasing someone just so we can add someone for the sake of adding them, personally I would have loved Voss to come across, but given it took a rather large offer from Port to get him to leave the media, I'm glad we didn't go chasing him. Hayes is the other one I wouldn't have minded but he wanted a year out of the game and I can understand that sometimes you need a break to freshen up. Outside of them none of the others really appealed. Neeld has always been a better development coach than head coach but given we already have Chocco in the senior development role I couldn't see him coming across and working under Chocco.

Nonsense on stilts , that's just like a company saying we are not going to have a CFO this year because all the applicants weren't as good as the last one so we'll just wait till next year and see what that brings because there is a couple of guys just about to finish Uni which I'm sure we'll have better success with in the future. Can you tell the staff they won't be receiving any pay this year while we wait for the right replacement !

Lade & Ross Smith have been assistant coaches for a number of years now, Williams & Mellor have also been in the system a while as well. Rutten is the only one who is inexperienced given he has just become a coach, but a decade of playing at the highest level would hold him in good stead. With Chocco I still see him being involved a heap as the cancer he has is on the lower end of the scale if you get what I mean.

As I said no point in going out and chasing someone just so we can add someone for the sake of adding them, personally I would have loved Voss to come across, but given it took a rather large offer from Port to get him to leave the media, I'm glad we didn't go chasing him. Hayes is the other one I wouldn't have minded but he wanted a year out of the game and I can understand that sometimes you need a break to freshen up. Outside of them none of the others really appealed. Neeld has always been a better development coach than head coach but given we already have Chocco in the senior development role I couldn't see him coming across and working under Chocco.

Lots of assistants changed clubs during the off season....... and none were suitable.... Okie dokie. .... I wouldnt want Voss anywhere near our club almost destroyed the Lions with his egotistic arrogant ways.

I reckon the club is saving money because if Hardwick screws up the year again the new coach will bring his own people and we don't want 3 year assistant coach contracts hanging around the place. I reckon Dan Richardson would be making sure the coaching staff contracts are just as in order as the playing groups.

Surely when they reviewed the year this would of been a priority considering how many games we lost by 3 goals or less to teams like Carlton , Bulldogs and Demons.

Nonsense on stilts , that's just like a company saying we are not going to have a CFO this year because all the applicants weren't as good as the last one so we'll just wait till next year and see what that brings because there is a couple of guys just about to finish Uni which I'm sure we'll have better success with in the future. Can you tell the staff they won't be receiving any pay this year while we wait for the right replacement !
We're talking about an assistant coach not a CFO.

Now given you and nut think we should have signed someone, please enlighten the board just who we should have gone out and signed that was a realistic target?

Why would we save a coaching position ?? There isn't a cap on how many coaches you can have .

Footy dept spending cap

Also most guys won't agree to just a 1 year deal while you wait for your preferred guy

All the support he needs
brilliant-ergonomic-chair-for-furniture-design-ergonomic-chairs-2689x2017-rocking-ergonomic-chair-thatsit-balans-by.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back