What the * has happened to this team?

Remove this Banner Ad

With Anderson out for the series.. I'm going to back us in to win the next match. Need our batsmen toift though. Smith had a poor match which didn't help. Not sure what Clarke is doing, losing concentration is a sign of aging and I think he may be nearly done.
Voges has been bitterly disappointing. WI tour showed promise, but I can't see him being selected for our next series. At his age you can't afford to perform like he has. Mitch Marsh hasn't translated his form from before the main series either.

In short. S.Marsh in for Voges and Haddin in for Nevill. Cummins/Siddle in for Starc.

Lyon has been our best performer overall for me. Consistent in his efforts and keeping an end tight. If we can get more out of the place Starc has been taking, and have our middle order actually make any runs we will win the next match.

2-17, with 8 draws. I knew it was bad - 6 consecutive losses on the subcontinent - but those numbers are truly appalling. Of course after this summer when we bully NZ and the Windies, all will be rosy again.

Won't happen. Boult and Southee will expose Australia's middle order, while Williamson, McCullum and Taylor will score enough runs to keep them in the game.

How can you question the selection of Voges?! He was the best batsman in the shield by a mile last year. And I don't think the selectors planed on Haddin's daughter getting crook again... he'd be in the team if not for that.

And maybe we picked an 'older side' because it's our best side..

I'm damned if I know who is going to replace Clark. We don't have batsmen coming through. I don't believe Joe Burns would have done well at Edgbaston considering how poor he's been for Midx.

The Australian batting has long been fragile. Our world class bowlers have made us look like a number one team, but it doesn't take much for the batting to fall apart against quality bowling. That, and not playing well to international conditions.

Voges was picked because he averaged bloody 100 in the shield this season. Yes he deserves to be dropped now, but the bloke was averaging a century FFS. He deserved to be in the team as a result.

Chill.

Bombers was calling all summer for Voges to be selected.

Don't bother with him. He'll changes his mind every week

Chill.

Bombers was calling all summer for Voges to be selected.

Don't bother with him. He'll changes his mind every week
Was more directed to people who didn't understand why Voges was selected. Then again some of those people would probably be crying out for Voges now if we didn't pick him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Batting this awful nah even harris wouldn't save us, harris was the best bowler in the 2013 ashes in england but we still got spanked.

Even pidge and warne needed runs on the board,All out 36 overs is game over no matter how great your bowling might be, maybe it would have been a closer game with harris bowling late on day 1 but we still lose the match in the end.

In all seriousness, I've been disappointed by our tail's batting. Before Starc's half century, they have hardly fired a shot, when you could usually rely on them form 50 to 100 runs. It's not their responsibility, but it did come in handy.

Yeah but they're tailenders for a reason.

Good test bowlers should be able to get them out cheaply more often than not

Our best tailend bat is johnson but isn't he pretty much like our top 6?

Plenty of runs at home and in SA but simply not the same force on pitches that don't suit, our tail just aren't going to make as many runs vs top quality swing.

In all seriousness, I've been disappointed by our tail's batting. Before Starc's half century, they have hardly fired a shot, when you could usually rely on them form 50 to 100 runs. It's not their responsibility, but it did come in handy.
If we're relying on the tail, then we are in even bigger trouble.

Hazlewood looks a proper tailender to me i think he's just had a pretty soft start with the pissweak indian and WI sides.

His average of 34 will be cut in half in a few years which is fine for a number 10.

Our tail scores 50-100 runs on flat decks when the ball isn't swinging. Any cricketer with half-decent batting technique can survive for a while in those sorts of conditions, and if they're big strong guys like Johnson and Starc then they can bludgeon quite a a few runs before they get a ball good enough to dislodge them.

Doing that while exposed to fresh bowlers on seaming pitches and a new (or even newish) Duke is an entirely different proposition. It's not realistic to expect tailenders to survive when the ball is moving around. Consistently combating movement is one of the more sophisticated parts of batting, and bowlers simply don't have the requisite skills.

Last edited:

Both Johnson and Starc have scored 50s in this series which is more than Voges or Marsh or Clarke has.

nothing has changed - plenty of examples over the last 5 years where we've batted like millionaires. my favorite types of collapse are those where we even have a first innings lead but go crazy and fall over without enough to bowl at in a 4th innings.

i was kind of hopeful for voges - it's a bit of a throwback to guys like martin love, hussey, hodge, who spent years and years honing their craft in first class cricket before debuting. remains to be seen if he's even picked for the rest of the tour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back