What the Port Magpies have become.

The Port Magpies are now many things to footy throughout Australia and especially South Australia.

1. -- Most importantly to us it is an opportunity for our AFL players to grow up within the Port Adelaide family
  2. -- Secondly for us it is an opportunity for our AFL players to grow up as Port Adelaide style players
  3. -- Again for us it is an opportunity for our AFL players to continue to receive the same messages throughout their AFL careers
  4. -- Also for us it is an opportunity for our AFL players to recover from injuries within the best environment
  5. -- Lastly for us it is an opportunity for our AFL players to regain form again within the best environment
  6. -- This is a cursory situation, the Port Magpies is a feeder club for the AFL & SANFL clubs

Overall I'll take what we have with open arms. We have the very best set-up for our desires & needs as an AFL club, our players are always Port players, regardless of the competition in which they find themselves.

As for the "feeder club" aspect, whilst it is open for all & sundry to examine & recruit from, ala Ben Newton in AFL circles or Ben Haren in SANFL confines, we are again advantaged because we see first, last, and all things between the Magpie players & their idiosyncrasies, that are not always on show for others on the outside.

Yes, we will lose Johansen, Bruggemann, Raikiwasa, Haren (and I'm sure more to come) to various SANFL clubs, we did have them with us to FIRST see if they could be AFL players for us.

I'll take the over the overwhelming good aspects and accept what else must follow.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Quoting Asgardian ... "This is a cursory situation, the Port Magpies is a feeder club for the AFL & SANFL clubs"

I see it much clearer when I push aside the club's nicknames. There are no Port Magpies feeding other clubs. There is Port Adelaide that by the conditions set is kind of feeding other sanfl clubs but once the last of our juniors have finished their careers at either sanfl or afl level, we will not have an attachment to any junior because they won't exist, and so no feeding happening. We are an AFL club that drafts in players from everywhere and we hire other players to fill gaps. We are trying to keep some resemblance of our sanfl structure but there is less and less interest in non-AFL players because they cannot be promoted to become the next league player. It is not our choice, it is the doing of our enemies. Of the players that are in the Academy team, well the sanfl have it worked out very well, they've made sure that in time these players will be mainly those that would unlikely make it into the grades at other sanfl clubs, so we won't be a feeder. If by some chance we contract a half reasonable player in the future, you can bet that they'll be gone after one season, but the signing of half decent talent in the 15 contracted players will become scarce as the years go by. That's my view.

Corby_says

Senior List
Oct 15, 2008
McLaren Vale, S.A.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Power Reserves in SANFL
The Magpies are dead, killed off by SANFL, if you believe the Magpies exist then you are deluded, the Port Adelaide of the past is gone with NO U16's, NO U18's, No Academy coming soon, NO PAFC ZONE (even in Port Adelaide), NO Representation on the SANFL board and only 15 players contracted to fill about 5 positions in the PAFC Power reserves.

So there we are, only one team the (PAFC in the AFL) to represent our famous players and unsurpassed history of success.

The rest is irrelevant, SANFL a second rate League over which we no longer have any influence or interest (for premierships).

So wave goodby to the SANFL, they have made themselves unimportant to PAFC who now play on the National stage.

ab56452001

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2009
salisbury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Magpies are dead, killed off by SANFL, if you believe the Magpies exist then you are deluded, the Port Adelaide of the past is gone with NO U16's, NO U18's, No Academy coming soon, NO PAFC ZONE (even in Port Adelaide), NO Representation on the SANFL board and only 15 players contracted to fill about 5 positions in the PAFC Power reserves.

So there we are, only one team the (PAFC in the AFL) to represent our famous players and unsurpassed history of success.

The rest is irrelevant, SANFL a second rate League over which we no longer have any influence or interest (for premierships).

So wave goodby to the SANFL, they have made themselves unimportant to PAFC who now play on the National stage.
Well said , sort of still breals my heart though , i even went and watched the last true Maggies game , u18's semi against North 2 seasons ago , even the old cheer squad turned up ! . We all know the history /reasons why the 1997 Maggies were created , but it does'nt make it any easier for me to axcept the loss of local tradition , ah well still got the Power eh !.

Well said , sort of still breals my heart though , i even went and watched the last true Maggies game , u18's semi against North 2 seasons ago , even the old cheer squad turned up ! . We all know the history /reasons why the 1997 Maggies were created , but it does'nt make it any easier for me to axcept the loss of local tradition , ah well still got the Power eh !.

The last true Maggies game was the 1996 Grand Final win over Centrals.

The Etheltonised separatist confusion foisted upon us by the ridiculous but by no means unexpected shortsightedness of the SANFL was a disgrace that we're only just beginning to recover from.

Predicating identity on mascot/guernsey alone is a furphy. The Magpie emblem was only adopted in 1902 - some 32 years after the club's establishment - and it was switched out for the Power emblem in 1996.

With the One Club merger of 2010/11 the club is now whole again and that's all that matters.

ab56452001

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2009
salisbury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The last true Maggies game was the 1996 Grand Final win over Centrals.

The Etheltonised separatist confusion foisted upon us by the ridiculous but by no means unexpected shortsightedness of the SANFL was a disgrace that we're only just beginning to recover from.

Predicating identity on mascot/guernsey alone is a furphy. The Magpie emblem was only adopted in 1902 - some 32 years after the club's establishment - and it was switched out for the Power emblem in 1996.

With the One Club merger of 2010/11 the club is now whole again and that's all that matters.
Disagree , call it Ethelton or watever you want , any team that represented our local/country zone , our original heart and soul so to speak , is a team worthy of support , be it contrived or whatever . Try telling those hundreds of young men that played league or underage for us and gave their heart and soul from 1997 till 2013 that it was all bullshit , a joke so to speak ! , i dont think the squads of volunteers and supporters that followed Pamfc , the sponsors etc , thought the passion was contrived.

Disagree , call it Ethelton or watever you want , any team that represented our local/country zone , our original heart and soul so to speak , is a team worthy of support , be it contrived or whatever . Try telling those hundreds of young men that played league or underage for us and gave their heart and soul from 1997 till 2013 that it was all bullshit , a joke so to speak ! , i dont think the squads of volunteers and supporters that followed Pamfc , the sponsors etc , thought the passion was contrived.

It had its place and function, it just wasn't the Port Adelaide Football Club. Legal arguments and other assorted white collar wrangling aside, the 1996 Grand Final marked the final game where the SANFL was the club's primary objective.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It had its place and function, it just wasn't the Port Adelaide Football Club. Legal arguments and other assorted white collar wrangling aside, the 1996 Grand Final marked the final game where the SANFL was the club's primary objective.

It was Tim Ginever's last hurrah to win another Port Adelaide premiership in '97 and I'm sure it wasn't any less than primary to the crew of people at the club. Hodges and Smith's premierships in the late 90's were a primary objective as well. We were in special circumstances, nothing like it anywhere else, we had a board leading the club to begin an AFL venture and a board leading the club to continue its sanfl dominance, and 5 members from each of that board orchestrated the 2nd AFL licence. I don't see why some still feel that they must attempt to force all Port supporters to devalue the club's sanfl achievements after the AFL entry. It is as odd as the pro Magpies/crows supporters that could not identify with the Power.

SgtSchulz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2014
Bob McLean Sportsbar
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Mark Webber
It was Tim Ginever's last hurrah to win another Port Adelaide premiership in '97 and I'm sure it wasn't any less than primary to the crew of people at the club. Hodges and Smith's premierships in the late 90's were a primary objective as well. We were in special circumstances, nothing like it anywhere else, we had a board leading the club to begin an AFL venture and a board leading the club to continue its sanfl dominance, and 5 members from each of that board orchestrated the 2nd AFL licence. I don't see why some still feel that they must attempt to force all Port supporters to devalue the club's sanfl achievements after the AFL entry. It is as odd as the pro Magpies/crows supporters that could not identify with the Power.
SANFL side should have been called the Power.

there is no splintered brand, there is a powerful brand with much history. do not kid yourselves - there is no identity crisis and there never was. it was everyone elses problem as ozph1870 alluded to.

corby_says: get with the times mate, support Port Adelaide, picking and choosing what parts of history you want to believe only drags us down and stops us from excelling as one.

we wanted to be an AFL club, we have to take the good with the bad. losing our zones is awful but now we get to pull the best talent from all over the state and country, not just our zone. we seem to be fine with drafting guys like Wines and making them into Port Adelaide men but for some reason some people only want Port Adelaide kids coming through the ranks.

I think some are just upset that the Magpies "brand" is "cheapened" by being "just a reserves team". but it's really that mentality that cheapens it for you.

Last edited:
Back