What the supporters want - A message to Andrew Fagan

Remove this Banner Ad

I personally couldn't care less what Port fans think when it comes to the Crows, but the video I saw of that chant night made me cringe harder than I've ever cringed before. Just plain awful.
Agree 1000%. Was horrible.
Don't worry Fagan thinks a lot like us. He wants genuine organic supporter led activities. Not gimmicky forced crap.

And they learnt from it. They no longer use it.

Some things are trial and error.

Oh yeah, I realise that, but that post was regarding the guy at the meeting with Fagan suggesting it should make a come back. Here's hoping Fagan said duly noted, and ignored.

Probably not far wrong.

Was picked partly at random, but seemed to be mostly people who had already been in touch with the club. Was some newer members, some older long term members, one or two normal people and two from The Pride I think.

It took every ounce of my self control not to slap a few people. One guy introduced himself by saying his name followed by "I am the 19th man". I wanted to leave at that point. He later suggested we bring back the 19th man chants. I died a little as he said it.

Did he bring his flag ?

Sounds like one of the Facebook question sessions or something, everybody having a whinge about something that only concerns them, and only because they haven't bothered reading the FAQ or thinking for themselves a bit "how can we fill the stadium like Port when we keep selling 3 game memberships to people who wont use them every week when we could be selling more 11 game memberships but they are sold out" for example, you feel sorry for the people having to answer them all. I can only imagine what its like to work on the phones at the club at this time of year.

19th Man is a great concept, used poorly, I'd rather change the people in charge of making the idea work, before letting the previous lot come up with a new idea.

It is probably the only thing of its kind in the AFL that people including the media/opposition players and supporters know around the country. Was great in the Collingwood game and after that, but not when they bring it out after losing like "we were disappointing but thanks to the 19th Man again." Associate it with winning only.

I still think Port's match day stuff is over rated though, it works because their supporters embraced it. We had a march to the first Showdown, no body was interested for example. That will probably continue until our form improves. We danced to OTR, they danced to 90s music for the chance to win a couple hundred dollars of yogurt, outside of the start of the game they are pretty much the same. Both clubs will want to improve if they want something that works independent of the result.

Last edited:
I still remember going to the 2012 prelim at the MCG vs the Hawks and being sat right in front of the hawthorn faithful, all pissed as chooks. They all sang songs and chants and it was absolutely brilliant, it fired everyone up, even us I hate to admit, and added atmosphere. Id love if we had one massive congregation of die hard fans at games to fire the crowd up, not a few old blokes dotted around the ground holding a rolled up mag yelling "Adelaide...Adelaide ..."

I still remember going to the 2012 prelim at the MCG vs the Hawks and being sat right in front of the hawthorn faithful, all pissed as chooks. They all sang songs and chants and it was absolutely brilliant, it fired everyone up, even us I hate to admit, and added atmosphere. Id love if we had one massive congregation of die hard fans at games to fire the crowd up, not a few old blokes dotted around the ground holding a rolled up mag yelling "Adelaide...Adelaide ..."

Does this suggest that for AFC, the only really 'die hard fans' are the oldies? If not, why are the 'oldies' so often seen as the only 'face' of the AFC?

Probably not far wrong.

Was picked partly at random, but seemed to be mostly people who had already been in touch with the club. Was some newer members, some older long term members, one or two normal people and two from The Pride I think.

It took every ounce of my self control not to slap a few people. One guy introduced himself by saying his name followed by "I am the 19th man". I wanted to leave at that point. He later suggested we bring back the 19th man chants. I died a little as he said it.

Who the * invited Trigg to the function?

I just hope Fages realises the focus has been all wrong for years. The logo and branding and "entertainment" has been marketed to kids and we've gone to great lengths to not offend the nannas.

What we need to realise is that atmosphere is created mainly by folks 21 - 40 how may drink and swear and God forbid offend someone.

More Philadelphia Flyers, less Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.

I just hope Fages realises the focus has been all wrong for years. The logo and branding and "entertainment" has been marketed to kids and we've gone to great lengths to not offend the nannas.

What we need to realise is that atmosphere is created mainly by folks 21 - 40 how may drink and swear and God forbid offend someone.

More Philadelphia Flyers, less Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.

Um the behaviour codes are not set by the AFC but by the AFL. Every venue has to have that same no swearing etc as part of them being allowed to have AFL games player there.

I'm someone who doesn't drink, rarely swears and yet I can yell and cheer and help create an atmosphere and was part of the Tribe and some other groups trying to create louder atmosphere at games. Drinking (excessive) and swearing and abusing others is not creating a atmosphere that I want to be a part of.

Who said anything about breaching the behavior codes or excessive drinking? The occasional sweary is not a breach, nor is drinking alcohol at the CUB sponsored event.

You're making the same mistake the club makes in thinking anyone who isn't a floppy do-gooder is not welcome. Embrace a bit of mongrel, and spirit in the crowd. It's a good thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember a few years ago there being a group of young, loud, mostly males about the size of the cheer squad except they were positioned on the fence about half way between the northern goals and the members wing at AAMI. From what I recall they all wore matching shirts, which I believe were red, and they pretty much had a few drinks and started chants the whole time, while also being loud and rowdy in regards to general play. They brought with them the type of atmosphere that you might expect to find behind the goals at the soccer. I remember being amazed by it and thinking it was the best idea that anyone at the club had ever had. It only lasted a season or two, and again, if I remember correctly, it was created by a couple of the players. My understanding is that two of the players (Bernie Vince and Taylor Walker come to mind but i could be wrong) had donated a bunch of tickets and had come up with the idea. I had wanted to join when I was a little older, but they disappeared before I had a chance. Does anyone remember this? The group had a name, but I've forgotten what it was. I sit in Eddie's Pocket these days, but if I was given the opportunity to help build a new, rowdy, group of supporters I would dive straight in.

Who said anything about breaching the behavior codes or excessive drinking? The occasional sweary is not a breach, nor is drinking alcohol at the CUB sponsored event.

You're making the same mistake the club makes in thinking anyone who isn't a floppy do-gooder is not welcome. Embrace a bit of mongrel, and spirit in the crowd. It's a good thing.
Really? I'd be genuinely surprised if that's true. I would've thought any foul language, regardless of amount, was unacceptable.

I remember a few years ago there being a group of young, loud, mostly males about the size of the cheer squad except they were positioned on the fence about half way between the northern goals and the members wing at AAMI. From what I recall they all wore matching shirts, which I believe were red, and they pretty much had a few drinks and started chants the whole time, while also being loud and rowdy in regards to general play. They brought with them the type of atmosphere that you might expect to find behind the goals at the soccer. I remember being amazed by it and thinking it was the best idea that anyone at the club had ever had. It only lasted a season or two, and again, if I remember correctly, it was created by a couple of the players. My understanding is that two of the players (Bernie Vince and Taylor Walker come to mind but i could be wrong) had donated a bunch of tickets and had come up with the idea. I had wanted to join when I was a little older, but they disappeared before I had a chance. Does anyone remember this? The group had a name, but I've forgotten what it was. I sit in Eddie's Pocket these days, but if I was given the opportunity to help build a new, rowdy, group of supporters I would dive straight in.

I think Tippett might have been involved, Im pretty sure they were called 'the tribe'

I think Tippett might have been involved, Im pretty sure they were called 'the tribe'

That's it. The best way to get the crowd involved is to have an exciting game with the team playing good football, but a little more of what 'the tribe' brought wouldn't be a bad thing. With enough enthusiasm and energy their attitude can become infectious and can help bring the crowd into the game. Sitting near the hill this year it seemed like smaller, unofficial supporter groups, or just groups of people, were more responsible for bringing the crowd into the game than the cheer squad was. It's great that other people are taking it upon themselves to get people going, but it's a shame that it becomes their responsibility when the cheer squad is failing to do a good enough job. However, it could be that I was just sitting too far away from the cheer squad, but that is how it seemed.

Yup, that is the Tribe which I was a part of. There was a core group of 10 - 20 of us who turned up every week. The rest who got in turned up to the first game, got their free tickets for the year and were never seen again. Most of the guys only had a couple of drinks but were accused of excessive drinking all the time. Also there was some chants that got nixed pretty quickly because there are lines you don't cross. We had a couple of guys from the Reds who brought some of the soccer style chants. Short, snappy and easily remembered chants are the ones that work at AFL games due to the type of game it is.

The best part was making Sam Fisher stay on the other side of the ground because two of the Tribe members were dressed up as schoolgirls. He took one look at them and never was seen on our side after then for the rest of the game :D

The concessional swear word IS a breach. Don't do it. You can chant and bring a fun atmosphere without swearing and even *gasp* without drinking. :rolleyes: I was a part of the Tribe so don't try and make claims you know nothing about. The club does want that intimidating crowd aspect, but we have a very varied supporter base from very young children up to the elderly. It has to be welcoming and inclusive to all.

Sorry but I hate this inference that the only supporters that matter/are the most passionate are the 21 - 40 year old (probably male) who like a drink. I'm none of those things, yet I am loud, proud, love my club and passionate in my support. I know there are issues with silences at times in the crowd but that can also relate to the way the team is performing at times.

Lets be honest, we have to have one of the most quiet supporter bases in the comp! Simple as that, how many times this year we had 45k+ crowds yet you could hear a pin drop

Lets be honest, we have to have one of the most quiet supporter bases in the comp! Simple as that, how many times this year we had 45k+ crowds yet you could hear a pin drop
The pitch of the crowd ebbs and flows with what's going on on field. We can be loud eg Jenkins goal against Collingwood and we can be quiet eg Melbourne or west coast games. We still have a loyal following.

Let's be honest, we have no idea if that's right given we don't attend 11 home games for another club.

I went to the GABBA this season, and that was pretty quiet by the home fans (losing by 100+ doesn't help).

Let's be honest, we have no idea if that's right given we don't attend 11 home games for another club.

I went to the GABBA this season, and that was pretty quiet by the home fans (losing by 100+ doesn't help).

I've been to games interstate and there are times all their crowds go quiet too. This past year we had opposition players, coaches and commentators all noticing the noise that is made by our fans above and beyond the other clubs.

Look you are right mate.....
But the few, matches i have seen in Melb,Geel & even the PAP i never saw them playing simulated crowd noises through the speaker!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back