What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope to see a Triangl logo on Western bulldogs merchandise soon - as a platinum partner sponsorship!

The Horse certainly has the kanga now to do it!
Hope they looked after their friends who gave them $25k

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-13/your-teams-best-attributes
WESTERN BULLDOGS
CLUB
AFL AVERAGE
Time in forward half - differential +5:25 (1st) N/A
Scoring accuracy 60.9% (2nd) 58.3%
For a young and fairly inexperienced side, the Western Bulldogs can hold their heads high knowing they rarely cough up the ball when they aren't under pressure. Young midfielder Jack Macrae had another stellar year in 2014, and was the club's most efficient player, averaging 19.6 effective disposals per game. Veteran Matthew Boyd and Charles Sutton medallist Tom Liberatore were the next best, averaging 17.4 efficient disposals per game. Under former coach Brendan McCartney in season 2014, the Bulldogs played a highly contested game style so it's no surprise they led the competition in groundball-get differential. Liberatore was the Bulldogs' No.1 contested player, and was ranked seventh overall in the league, while the likes of Luke Dahlhaus and Boyd consistently work hard at ground level to win the ball to the Dogs' advantage. – Nat Edwards

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-13/your-teams-best-attributes
WESTERN BULLDOGS
CLUB
AFL AVERAGE
Time in forward half - differential +5:25 (1st) N/A
Scoring accuracy 60.9% (2nd) 58.3%
For a young and fairly inexperienced side, the Western Bulldogs can hold their heads high knowing they rarely cough up the ball when they aren't under pressure. Young midfielder Jack Macrae had another stellar year in 2014, and was the club's most efficient player, averaging 19.6 effective disposals per game. Veteran Matthew Boyd and Charles Sutton medallist Tom Liberatore were the next best, averaging 17.4 efficient disposals per game. Under former coach Brendan McCartney in season 2014, the Bulldogs played a highly contested game style so it's no surprise they led the competition in groundball-get differential. Liberatore was the Bulldogs' No.1 contested player, and was ranked seventh overall in the league, while the likes of Luke Dahlhaus and Boyd consistently work hard at ground level to win the ball to the Dogs' advantage. – Nat Edwards

Interesting , for all those that want to banish Boyd. To my eyes is still a very good AFL player.

But he gets it avg 30ish times so from 17.4 efficient ones there are 13.6 that are shite. That's why people crack the shits

Yeah ok , but the grunt work and hard running cant be underestimated. He does have some shockers ( most weeks ) I will agree,
But watch Heppell play and tell me he is any better , Nobody dos'nt think he is a good player ?

I think it depends on where the shite ones occur. Often boydy will turnover a kick right as the team is marching forward and it goes back over our heads before there is a chance to get back. It is more obvious with an inexperienced line up. Boydy still butchered it during our go,den run but he had mates who could cover for him hence no one really complained. Having said that, we have more ball butchers now than we had then so that make it look even worse for Matty

I think it depends on where the shite ones occur. Often boydy will turnover a kick right as the team is marching forward and it goes back over our heads before there is a chance to get back. It is more obvious with an inexperienced line up. Boydy still butchered it during our go,den run but he had mates who could cover for him hence no one really complained. Having said that, we have more ball butchers now than we had then so that make it look even worse for Matty
Sorry, you can't convince me Grassman. A player of his experience shouldn't turn the ball over like he does ........ his turnovers are simply horrid!

Boyd was not in the top 100 players for average clangers in 2014. The category was led by Dustin Martin and Gary Ablett, followed closely by the likes of Lance Franklin, Trent Cotchin and Nat Fyfe.

Boyd will be more important than ever next season. I have full confidence that it will also be one of the most influential years he will ever have in our jumper.

Off topic but during our first nab cup game I saw Boydy run up and pull honeychurch aside at a quarter time break. He spent a good few minutes explaining the previous passage of play that honey was involved in. Was very warming to know that guys like him are leading our club.

As you can see, I love Boydy. Mess with him mess with me.

Boyd was not in the top 100 players for average clangers in 2014. The category was led by Dustin Martin and Gary Ablett, followed closely by the likes of Lance Franklin, Trent Cotchin and Nat Fyfe.
People like to focus on the one or two Boydy stuffs up a game and ignore the rest. I'm not sure why. The fact is that every inside mid bar Pendlebury (and Libba) butchers it a bit, even under very little pressure. But the good usually far outweighs the bad.

People like to focus on the one or two Boydy stuffs up a game and ignore the rest. I'm not sure why. The fact is that every inside mid bar Pendlebury (and Libba) butchers it a bit, even under very little pressure. But the good usually far outweighs the bad.
It's because the guys like Pendles and Libba, Martin, Fyfe etc. All have some "wow" factor to them. So people get transfixed on that.

Boyd doesn't have that, oftentimes his kicks aren't overly damaging but they still find the target. But there's nothing to distract the viewer from the couple of shocking kicks he makes, and so the focus switches to that.

There's also the established stigma of him being a turnover merchant which is never going to go away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boyd cops too much criticism, he carried the club on his back though some matches as well. He's a ball winner & a leader, we need him to fill Griffens shoes

There is butchering the ball and then there is handing it over cleanly to the other side after our entire team starts running forward. The pressure he puts on our backline is disgraceful.

The eye test King, the eye test. I'll always trust what my eyes tell me over stats. And they're telling me boyds disposal absolutely rips this team.

His 2 way running will be big for us this year though. He's important to us, but I'm hoping his position is genuinely challenged this year.

The eye test King, the eye test. I'll always trust what my eyes tell me over stats. And they're telling me boyds disposal absolutely rips this team.

His 2 way running will be big for us this year though. He's important to us, but I'm hoping his position is genuinely challenged this year.

I am a big believer in the eye test as well fronk , just that I don't see Boyd a lot worse than many other mid fielders in the comp. I am willing to concede his clanger count is up there , but at times it can be put down to exhaustion.
One thing that never gets mentioned is his very , very good disposal to a leading forward or one in space 60 metres away to set up certain goals. The Adelaide game I think last year a perfect example.

I am a big believer in the eye test as well fronk , just that I don't see Boyd a lot worse than many other mid fielders in the comp. I am willing to concede his clanger count is up there , but at times it can be put down to exhaustion.
One thing that never gets mentioned is his very , very good disposal to a leading forward or one in space 60 metres away to set up certain goals. The Adelaide game I think last year a perfect example.
I think his hand balling is excellent. But I do think he undoes a lot of his great work with poor disposal by foot that puts too much pressure on our mids to run the other way (which theyre not quite capable of yet) when they've run hard forward.

Id like to see him kicking the ball less and try and use his creative hands more this season.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-12-17/beveridges-men-locked-in
The Western Bulldogs have made changes to the coaching structure for 2015, headlined by Chris Maple’s appointment as Head of Development.

After six years as Development Manager and a successful maiden season in the VFL - culminating in a premiership, Chris Maple will lead the Club’s player development program in 2015.

The Club also announced Development Coach Ashley Hansen as VFL Coach for season 2015.

Lowe said Hansen, a former West Coast premiership player, was a valuable contributor to Footscray’s premiership success as midfield coach and will take the reins as Development and VFL Coach this week.

The Club has bolstered its midfield coaching line with Joel Corey to work alongside Steven King as Assistant Coach, focussing on stoppage systems. King will continue as Assistant Coach (midfield).

Daniel Giansiracusa has been named Assistant Coach (forwards), while former teammate Rohan Smith will enter his third season in 2015 as Assistant Coach (backs).

Brett Montgomery will continue his role as Senior Assistant, while Craig Jennings has been appointed Opposition Analyst.

Jennings spent ten years at Essendon in a similar role where he built a strong reputation in the industry for his game insights.
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-12-17/beveridges-men-locked-in

Probably the wrong thread but Congrats to Hansen on getting the head coaching job for Footscray.

Anyone know much about Craig Jennings?

Edit: found this SEN interview he did early this year

Please don't start me on Boyd again. For once and for all, no one can be critical of his running, his toughness or his love for the club, but as the others have said above, his ability to grab the ball, run 10m, pick out a target 15m away and in the clear and then shin it straight to an opposition player by himself (and most likely out of his team's defensive structure) which then causes a goal against, is extraordinary. It happens all the time.

I guess my summary is that he can make opposition players who are slow to get back, not guarding a man or a space, look extraordinary by kicking it straight to them and letting them stroll into the 50 unmarked.

As I've said a thousand times, if the game was only hand balling, he'd be a star, but his kicking is appalling.

That's my post for the month done ;)

Please don't start me on Boyd again. For once and for all, no one can be critical of his running, his toughness or his love for the club, but as the others have said above, his ability to grab the ball, run 10m, pick out a target 15m away and in the clear and then shin it straight to an opposition player by himself (and most likely out of his team's defensive structure) which then causes a goal against, is extraordinary. It happens all the time.

I guess my summary is that he can make opposition players who are slow to get back, not guarding a man or a space, look extraordinary by kicking it straight to them and letting them stroll into the 50 unmarked.

As I've said a thousand times, if the game was only hand balling, he'd be a star, but his kicking is appalling.

That's my post for the month done ;)
If you take 'Boyd' out of that first paragraph I swear you could've been talking about Judd, Dangerfield or Fyfe...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back