Status
Not open for further replies.

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's almost the dumbest comment I have heard in years! I actually used to like Rohan Connolly and thought he gave a very good analysis except when his Essendon bias would come out, but that comment alone has changed my opinion of him.

Obviously he has not even seriously looked at the Bulldogs list and he calls himself an AFL expert. I would have thought Bob Murphy may have been up there given our lack of experience or possibly Stringer given his impact on our forward line and potential in the midfield or even Morris or Roughhead given our lack of tall Defenders but not Boyd who hasn't even played a game and isn't even getting big money this year as he is still on his rookie contract.

Libba for mine. None of our other mids besides Boyd has the brute inside contested ball winning ability that Libba has, and Libba tops it off with impeccable disposal by hand and a ferocious attack on the man when he doesnt win the ball.

ExRoyboy

Premiership Player
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
Libba for mine. None of our other mids besides Boyd has the brute inside contested ball winning ability that Libba has, and Libba tops it off with impeccable disposal by hand and a ferocious attack on the man when he doesnt win the ball.
Agreed.... Not sure why I left him out, just thinking about major gaps that we don't have much depth in. We do have a lot of mids with ball getting ability but not many with Libba's skill level in that regard and tackling skills.

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Does Mooney not like Minson? :O
I don't think it's a matter of liking or not liking him personally. If his view is similar to mine, then he'll see Minson as a player of limited ability, especially around the ground. He's been valuable for his physical presence in the close quarter and contested phases of the game while we've had many young players to look after. As the team matures and more focus goes on to moving the ball around he'll become a liability. He may be wrong about Campbell taking over this year but would be close to mark if he said next year imo.

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I understand what is being said by Mooney going forward all afl rucks like Minson that lack the ability to be a threat in front of the goals and to make impact around the ground are going to be over taken by guys who can and simply won't be picked up.

Dav1d

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 31, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't think it's a matter of liking or not liking him personally. If his view is similar to mine, then he'll see Minson as a player of limited ability, especially around the ground. He's been valuable for his physical presence in the close quarter and contested phases of the game while we've had many young players to look after. As the team matures and more focus goes on to moving the ball around he'll become a liability. He may be wrong about Campbell taking over this year but would be close to mark if he said next year imo.
Yeah, I just thought it might be a bit much to ask Campbell to be ready this year by round one
which is what the team was titled as

not sure how Roughead goes up forward, but it'll be interesting to see if it is tried & against which side

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah, I just thought it might be a bit much to ask Campbell to be ready this year by round one
which is what the team was titled as

not sure how Roughead goes up forward, but it'll be interesting to see if it is tried & against which side
Yes I wouldn't discount it (Campbell no 1 ruck) completely but tends to the optimistic. Roughie I agree with him but I think we'd have to recruit a good ready made KPD this year for it to happen. If the Lonergan thing had happened, it would be interesting to see where Roughie ended up this year.

paulveed

Club Legend
Jan 3, 2010
traf e
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
liverpool
For goodness sake fellas. Before an injury troubled season last year, Big Will was THE All Australian ruckman, as
judged by the industry. That hardly makes him the semi redundant hack he is being portrayed as here. What it means
is, he was better than every other ruckman in the league in 2013.
Sure his game has limitations, but sh1te so does every other single man or boy playing the game. Not the same limitations,
but they ALL have some just the same.
Of recent times the club has seemed to have had a habit of crucifying it's own ruckmen, by trying to play week in and
week out with just one. Clearly enough, we don't have the other cattle required to make that work. Whether it is Will,
TC or anyone else in the role of first ruck, they need suitably skilled support, not just throwing anyone over 190cm into
the space when Will needs a break.

If Will's body holds up, and he is given proper support this season, I think he is capable of again being a dominant force
for us, and maybe even for a couple more seasons.
I hope so anyway.
But it worries me how readily our own supporters seem to want to deride and pension off our own.
It's not a good look.

TempleKelvington

Cancelled
Sep 23, 2009
Out searching for omens pointing to our next flag.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's almost the dumbest comment I have heard in years! I actually used to like Rohan Connolly and thought he gave a very good analysis except when his Essendon bias would come out, but that comment alone has changed my opinion of him.

Obviously he has not even seriously looked at the Bulldogs list and he calls himself an AFL expert. I would have thought Bob Murphy may have been up there given our lack of experience or possibly Stringer given his impact on our forward line and potential in the midfield or even Morris or Roughhead given our lack of tall Defenders but not Boyd who hasn't even played a game and isn't even getting big money this year as he is still on his rookie contract.
Yeah disappointing effort from Connolly. Really lacked any genuine thought about the footy and more just looking for the headline. Shame indeed.

I think our list is very even but I think Morris is the one player who we can't replace at the moment and Bobby would be missed especially now as he's the skipper.

Dav1d

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 31, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
But it worries me how readily our own supporters seem to want to deride and pension off our own.
It's not a good look.
I disagree, I don't think anyone was saying that

players get criticized in every sport by their supporters, I don't believe people are writing him off at all..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

paul scholes

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
bulldogs NY METS
I can see what he's saying. From an outside point of view the club needs to be seen as having picked up a player who justifies his salary. Whether we like it or not, he will be judged from game 1 to game infinity. He can't avoid that. I agree with everyone that his input to the team's success isn't vital in the first 2 years and any impact he does have is a bonus, however have no doubt that the media will get stuck into him the moment he missteps. That cannot be avoided, but I'm still glad he's come :)
Great post and you're right, however it just emphasises what a pack of humpties the media are.
We're going to get it all year on Tom.
Rohan's had a bee in his Bonet ever since Crameri upt and left and went to a s**t club like ours.Rohan should know his role in the media is to be Robbo's right hand man in Cult Hird.

paul scholes

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
bulldogs NY METS
I understand what is being said by Mooney going forward all afl rucks like Minson that lack the ability to be a threat in front of the goals and to make impact around the ground are going to be over taken by guys who can and simply won't be picked up.
Like it or not Will being in the side f**** up our structure as he hasn't got another string to his bow.
Posters claiming that Minson under performed because he was the lone wolf are forgetting that's how he became AA in the first place.

Pannalstaroz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Like it or not Will being in the side f**** up our structure as he hasn't got another string to his bow.
Posters claiming that Minson under performed because he was the lone wolf are forgetting that's how he became AA in the first place.
Absolutely. It's his ability to ruck all day that is his strength. His ability to go the same at the start as at the end is his point of difference. He is the kind of player who needs to be in the game. Also none of the others have his competitiveness yet, but they will over time. All the others are still young.

Absolutely. It's his ability to ruck all day that is his strength. His ability to go the same at the start as at the end is his point of difference. He is the kind of player who needs to be in the game. Also none of the others have his competitiveness yet, but they will over time. All the others are still young.

Agreed - in his AA year he was often beaten or only holding his own in the first half of games, but he wore down his opponent with his strength and most often was well on top come the last quarter. Getting first use of the ball at late stages of games is crucial.

I for one think he will be back to his best this year and can still be our no 1 ruck for the next 3 or 4 years

Minho has trimmed down a fair bit if reports are to be believed . He laboured badly last year and I hope he comes good. I was in favour of trading him for a while but now I feel that would've been a mistake.

I have doubts on Campbell more now than ever before.

paulveed

Club Legend
Jan 3, 2010
traf e
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
liverpool

Sorry PS, disagree on both points in the first sentence, but as is often repeated, this is an opinion based forum.
On your second sentence, does the term 'sustainable' ring any bells ? Any athlete can do a PB on occasions, or even produce a brief run of them.
But doing so continuously is not something any can do. Same situation here. Just because Will has rucked solo successfully before, does not mean he, or anyone else for that matter, could or should be expected to be able to maintain that long term.

Look I am not saying Big Will is the greatest thing since sliced bread or anything, but he sure as hell is clearly the best we've got right now, and until
someone else on our list is ready to push him out by the comparative standard of their work, I just think we need to look after him.

The other thing we need is to not drop off the pace so drastically as we have recently, when he does need a break.

I have said previously I feel the reason he has not been especially effective when resting forward is not a total lack of talent, merely that when he has gone forward for his break, he simply has been already totally knackered.

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I was listening to SEN this morning and that flog Greg Denham doesn't think the dogs will win a premiership in his lifetime. What a tosser. We better prove him wrong!!
In his defense, it's probably because he's the type stupid enough to cross the road without looking, touch exposed wiring or play on the train tracks.

We can't be expected to have won a flag by the time the odds catch up with him, you just can't plan for that.

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
What I dont get with journalism in footy, is that journalists (with the exception of people like Gerard Whateley) tend to be as reactive and thoughtless as the random punter on the street. Strong opinions. Little evidence. Emotional....

It is a pissweak culture and needs to be challenged by some professional values. The aim isn't to be controversial, it is to be a bloody professional source of information and evidence based opinion. If I acted like that in my job in public commentary I'd get the sack.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I was listening to SEN this morning and that flog Greg Denham doesn't think the dogs will win a premiership in his lifetime. What a tosser. We better prove him wrong!!

In his defense, it's probably because he's the type stupid enough to cross the road without looking, touch exposed wiring or play on the train tracks.

We can't be expected to have won a flag by the time the odds catch up with him, you just can't plan for that.

No-one can underestimate Greg D's stupidity, it is impossible.

However, it is going to be hard to win a premiership, we simply can't screw up our drafting. Sydney, Hawks, GCS and GWS look threatening for the next 10 years. After that well who knows, and I guess that underlines Greg D's idiocy, his only defense being that if we haven't looked like it for 60 years, well its a low risk prediction. Cheap shot though.

Once we do rise up to around top 4, watch for the AFL change the FA rules to handicap top clubs, can see it coming a mile away. The whole system is becoming like the EPL though which, as a Bulldogs supporter, is very frustrating..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back