Status
Not open for further replies.

scholar

Rookie
Aug 16, 2009
footscray west
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know we were the third best team through 2008-2010, we copped some patronising media from certain individuals such as that ****** from Hawthorn.

However that pales in contrast to the constant subliminal message that we are losers. If they talk about a particular team they will show them beating the Bulldogs, an individual, he's kicking a goal against the Bulldogs. Always the Bulldogs, what does that do for potential new members, young kids etc.

scholar

Rookie
Aug 16, 2009
footscray west
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know we were the third best team through 2008-2010, we copped some patronising media from certain individuals such as that ****** from Hawthorn.

However that pales in contrast to the constant subliminal message that we are losers. If they talk about a particular team they will show them beating the Bulldogs, an individual, he's kicking a goal against the Bulldogs. Always the Bulldogs, what does that do for potential new members, young kids etc.

womble54

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Thats a funny one for me. I'm fairly confident they do this because of our colours. Red/white/blue provide a stark visual contrast agaist most other team colour matches. They seem to use the patriots a lot in the NFL for the same reason in their marketing (also because the pats kick serious arse and their colours are the U.S. flag but I digress). I've always felt this is one thing we've never really managed to leverage effectively from a marketing perspective. Hawks are poo brown. We have awesome colours. Not sure how we leverage this better myself but I do think there must be a way.

Toastman

All Australian
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
St. Louis Blues, Salavat Yulaev Ufa
Thats a funny one for me. I'm fairly confident they do this because of our colours. Red/white/blue provide a stark visual contrast agaist most other team colour matches. They seem to use the patriots a lot in the NFL for the same reason in their marketing (also because the pats kick serious arse and their colours are the U.S. flag but I digress). I've always felt this is one thing we've never really managed to leverage effectively from a marketing perspective. Hawks are poo brown. We have awesome colours. Not sure how we leverage this better myself but I do think there must be a way.
The old piss and s**t. I used to love giving the Hawthorn supporters crap over that when I was in primary school.

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm very Bulldog centric with regards to media coverage and am afforded a good number of opportunities for indignation at appalling analysis etc. If it's not about the bulldogs, however, I rarely read it. I really couldn't care less what stories are written about other teams but I'm interested in watching the games themselves, especially teams in finals contention. You can't help but be aware of saturation media coverage with regards to Carlton, Collingwood etc but not being one of them I don't take too much notice other than observing the disconnnect between the amount of coverage they get and how shithouse their teams are.
I imagine most supporters of other teams take little more than a passing interest in us, in large part because we're not about them. Like teams playing against us, we're only really relevant to them if we're playing against them or in contention.
History supports the media's narrative that we're also rans, with the odd team that threatens but never quite gets there. Only sustained onfield success can change the narrative and the membership base expanded by people who probably can't read yet or are new to footy.

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No you can't and no it doesn't. Honestly I've already conceded I might be remembering things poorly, but from my perspective we were either talked down to or ignored by the media and things will not change the next time we rise.

Well in fact that article, as an example, directly contradicts your statements like "I remember reading those stories. They weren't positive. It was the equivalent of patting a child on the head" and "But my recollection was a media talking down to us as opposed to the media darlings tag you've bestowed".

A lot of people that whinge about our presence in the media seem to have selective memories. According to your recollection, we were rampant world-beaters that didn't get anywhere near our due. In reality, we were a premiership challenger with offensive-minded game plan lacking a key-forward that was equal parts renowned and doubted (both with merit - we were a flawed genius of a team) and significant underdogs in all three Prelim Finals (e.g. we were $3.20 underdogs to the Saints in 2009, arguably our best chance, and had lost to them comfortably twice that season, doing our merits as premiership contenders no favours in the eyes of the media ).

I'm not sure what some people expect, short of a steady stream of glowing articles at all times, which is preposterous. I'm sure when we make a grand final or win a flag we'll get just as much media attention as anyone. Possibly more if we win, given how big a story it will be.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Well in fact that article, as an example, directly contradicts your statements like "I remember reading those stories. They weren't positive. It was the equivalent of patting a child on the head" and "But my recollection was a media talking down to us as opposed to the media darlings tag you've bestowed".

A lot of people that whinge about our presence in the media seem to have selective memories. According to your recollection, we were rampant world-beaters that didn't get anywhere near our due. In reality, we were a premiership challenger with offensive-minded game plan lacking a key-forward that was equal parts renowned and doubted (both with merit - we were a flawed genius of a team) and significant underdogs in all three Prelim Finals (e.g. we were $3.20 underdogs to the Saints in 2009, arguably our best chance, and had lost to them comfortably twice that season, doing our merits as premiership contenders no favours in the eyes of the media ).

I'm not sure what some people expect, short of a steady stream of glowing articles at all times, which is preposterous. I'm sure when we make a grand final or win a flag we'll get just as much media attention as anyone. Possibly more if we win, given how big a story it will be.
The "no it doesn't" referred to the one article being enough to counter my general claims. I can provide journal articles that contradict climate change but it doesn't change the weight of general evidence.
The rest of your post is an exercise in comparing perspectives and I'm tired of this argument as honestly it's fruitless and I doubt either of us will move from our preconceptions. I guess we'll have to wait until we win a premiership to compare notes, forgive me if I'm late as I'll be on my one month bender.

the dog's kennel

Premiership Player
Jan 7, 2007
The Land of Baileys
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For what it's worth, I thought we had stellar media coverage in 1997 and 1998. Cause we were genuinely exciting, and genuine premiership chances. And Wallace for all his flaws, was a great promoter.

In 2008 I felt like we were largely ignored, despite being Top 4. But that made sense because I never felt we were really in the hunt. 2009 was our best shot, and we definitely attracted more attention. Hard to compare though to Geelong, who were probably media faves at this time and St Kilda who were the premiership faves, gathering momentum ominously for the last 6 months of the year.

Come 2010, I thought we got even more attention, even though it wasn't really deserved. I never thought we were legitimate premiership contenders. Barry Hall seemed to capture a lot of interest. In the first half of the season I thought we were actually the most talked about team. Certainly we were premiership faves early on. By the 2nd half of the year it was all Collingwood though. And probably rightly so.

Strangely we were premiership faves at the start of 2011 too. I never understood that. This time the bubble lasted about 1 week, before we were rightly passed over.

Overall I think we pretty much received the coverage we deserved, except in 2009. We deserved better coverage, and better results, that year. That was the one that got away.

paul scholes

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
bulldogs NY METS
Going back in time I'd say we were disrespected in 97 due to coming off the bottom. The media and opposition fans were waiting for a fall, and added in our rugged robust game style ( nicest PC way) we were then disliked . I remember a rather angry response from Wallace early in 97 with Geoff poulter, when Poulter made a quip in a pre game article saying we'd need to close the gates to keep the low crowd in .
Wallace went spare in the after match presser, pointing out what a steaming pile of excrement that article was.

paul scholes

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
bulldogs NY METS
I think 98 we were more respected when it looked like 97 wasn't a flash in the pan . I reckon 08 - 10 we just weren't in the same class as a Stkilda or Hawthorn or Geelong, and gotta say I thought we got a decent run

I think 98 we were more respected when it looked like 97 wasn't a flash in the pan . I reckon 08 - 10 we just weren't in the same class as a Stkilda or Hawthorn or Geelong, and gotta say I thought we got a decent run

2009 was the year that we let slip. We should have beaten Geelong both times in the H&A except for Johno's miss for goal after the siren. We should have beaten Geelong in that final, instead we took the hard path and had to play the Saints leaving the Cats as fresh as a daisy while the Saints and us slogged it out. It cost the Saints the premiership that year as well.

This goes back a long way, it always seemed to be the Dogs that the great full forwards of the 70s (Hudson, McKenna, Jezza) were kicking their hundredth goal against. There we were on the news with Chooka Merrington or Gordon Casey standing on the mark as the 100th goal of the season sailed through.

Sep 1, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Glory
I'm sorry mate. You are wrong.

I vividly recall the massive increase in Bulldog media through that time, you couldn't open the bloody paper without a Doggie story popping out at you and I recall how bloody chuffed I was about it.
I remember some of it was pretty bad. One paper suggested that if Tom Williams was up and about we would have been right in with a chance to win the league.

paulveed

Club Legend
Jan 3, 2010
traf e
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
liverpool
I think folks are forgetting here just what the 'media' is. It is neither [ or it is not meant to be], a fully accurate, factual accounting in
all cases. Much as we might like it to be. That is what they publish stats for.

The primary task of 'the media', is to sell their own product.

So if we want comparable coverage, in both quantity, and bias with the Collingwoods, Essendons, and Hawthorns etc., what we need
is not wins directly, but potential media audience. That is to say, if our membership were to equal these big clubs, then the media would
find cause to give us both greater, and more favorable coverage.

Even when the 'big' clubs are not winning, they still get plenty of media coverage, simply because the media is playing to a larger audience
that will still buy their product.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
So if we want comparable coverage, in both quantity, and bias with the Collingwoods, Essendons, and Hawthorns etc., what we need
is not wins directly, but potential media audience. That is to say, if our membership were to equal these big clubs, then the media would
find cause to give us both greater, and more favorable coverage.

Even when the 'big' clubs are not winning, they still get plenty of media coverage, simply because the media is playing to a larger audience
that will still buy their product.
Yep and TV rights buy into that rubbish also.

Hopefully Carlton gets flogged every week this year particularly whenever they play Thursday/Friday/Saturday nights, they don't deserve their favourable exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back