What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-bulldog-light-on-the-hill-out-west-20140719-zurfj.html
Of all the clubs that might provide a light on the hill for football's Victorian battlers, the Western Bulldogs have long appeared the least likely. To have not reached, let alone won, a grand final in more than half a century speaks of a club which hasn't just known failure, but perhaps an endemic sense of inferiority too.

The Dogs' rivals for the title of greatest loser are, by comparison, stories of sweet success.

The hapless Saints have been in seven grand finals during the post-1960 epoch. The Demons, whose empire was nearing its end when the Doggies last played in the big one, have been in three grannies through the years since. The Tigers had their time as titans.

Then there are the other members of the entrance class of 1925, when the old Victorian Football League embarked on its first major expansion. Hawthorn and North Melbourne entered along with Footscray as the VFL grew to 12 teams.

For a while the Dogs were the newbie most likely. They were the first of the trio to escape the dungeon of the bottom-three on the ladder and the first to make the finals. And, in 1954, they were the first to win a flag.

From there, though, any comparison becomes unflattering. The ever-struggling Kangaroos have won four premierships and enjoyed two separate eras as a powerhouse.

As for the Hawks, they long ago shed the battler's tag. So much so that brown-and-gold is the new black-and-white. Since 1961, Hawthorn has become what Collingwood was to the first 60 years of the 20th century.

Meanwhile, the Scraggers remain underdogs. Why it should so long have been thus is not entirely clear. Certainly, the Bulldogs' now 89-year experience in the elite competition reinforces the impression that clubs entering later than the majority will inevitably, without some form of equalisation, be disadvantaged.

Perhaps this factor negated what, in the club's development years, should have been a powerful force in its favour. For the fact is that lower socio-economic, blue collar constituencies historically produced many of the great Australian football clubs.

These clubs were tough, desperate, and fearsome in a way many of their opponents weren't. Collingwood is the archetype. Then there are the teams of the wharves: Port Adelaide, the clubs of Fremantle, and Port Melbourne were leaders of their respective competitions across decades.

Yet the one club representative of Melbourne's sprawling, working-class west – in both the modern, national competition and its Victorian predecessor – has long failed to cut the mustard.

Until now, that is. It's just possible the settings and mood are afoot for this to change. Not only are the pups of 2014 starting to bare some impressive teeth, but the Western Bulldogs are looming as a compellingly important entity for the AFL's future development in its major metropolitan market.

The Bulldogs' second-time president, Peter Gordon, speaks regularly these days of the fact that Melbourne's western suburbs represent Australia's strongest population growth corridor. Stronger, that is, than even western Sydney and the Gold Coast. Gordon points to forecasts that this will remain the case for at least 30 years.

If it was important enough for the AFL to throw vast, and as yet immeasurable, sums of money at new clubs in western Sydney and on the Gold Coast, western Melbourne must now be seen as a high priority area. This is particularly relevant in the Australian game's endeavours to stay ahead of soccer in the battle for young hearts, minds, and feet within a multi-cultural melting pot.

How much has changed in 25 years! Come October it will be that long since Ross Oakley's then-VFL sought to force Footscray into a merger with Fitzroy. Gillon McLachlan's AFL must surely realise that if it is to achieve maximum appeal to Melbourne's west, it must not only maintain the team which genuinely represents that area but nourish it too.

Gordon himself has been a Bulldog tragic since boyhood. Yet until he was 27 he had seen his team play in just two finals, winning neither. He recognises that for his club to capitalise on the predicted growth of its local community it must defy what John Elliott once referred to as its "tragic history". It must earn popularity.

Five weeks ago, following a loss at home to lowly Brisbane, the Dogs were where they have so often been. Gordon acknowledges this sparked an urgent response within, but not the predictable one. "All of us, in our own way," he says, "reacted with pride and indignation". Calls for blood were summarily dismissed.

Suddenly, green shoots are appearing as quickly as on a David Attenborough time-lapse video. The club's VFL team, Footscray, is in contention for a flag. A deep list and a winning feeling are developing simultaneously. Gordon describes the collective attitude this way: "We seek to be defined not by what we've been and what's hampered us, but by what's in front of us."

On Sunday, a major challenge looms in the form of Essendon. Whatever happens in that contest, for the Dogs the best is yet to come.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/wester...dog-mark-austin-powers-on-20140719-zusel.html
A struggling Carlton, wooden spooner in the previous two seasons, acquired three teenagers from South Australia to bolster its playing list ahead of the 2007 season. All three are still on an AFL list.

The first, Bryce Gibbs, has overcome the mountainous expectation of being a No.1 draft pick to forge his place as arguably the Blues' best player in 2014.

Having ventured to Adelaide after others won favour, the second, Sam Jacobs, taken as the first overall selection in the rookie draft, has won acclaim as one of the game's pre-eminent ruckmen.

The last of the trio has played just 38 games in nearly eight seasons. He is athletic Bulldogs defender Mark Austin, and his story is one of survival.

"It has been frustrating, but on the flip side of that, I'd much rather have this journey than being kicked out five years ago," 25-year-old Austin says.

"It's hard not to look at people in your draft and see how many games they've played. Even things like guys back in Adelaide, my mates that I went to school with, they're all either qualified builders, or been to uni and done their degree.

"When you think about it like that, you kind of question whether it was worth it."

A native Queenslander, Austin's childhood journey included a stay in country Victoria. With a career as a professional footballer beckoning, his single mother – heeding the advice of Mark's junior coach – uprooted her prodigious son and his three siblings so that Mark could experience senior football at Glenelg.

"I guess at the time I didn't appreciate how big a move it was for her. To move to another state – the big city and set up life for her son."

The move paid off. Austin was drafted to Denis Pagan's Carlton with pick 35 of the 2006 draft, and shacked up with Jacobs as well and Brighton secondary schoolmate Gibbs.

The three would continue to share a home until Jacobs was traded to Adelaide at the end of the 2010 season, while Austin only moved out of Gibbs' abode 10 months ago after significant coaxing from his girlfriend.

"I reckon he hasn't changed that much. He's still kind of a quiet, easy-going guy," Austin says of the recently re-signed Gibbs, with whom he remains close.

But while their friendship has endured, the fortunes of Gibbs and Austin have differed. By Austin's own admission he was gifted a debut in the final round of 2007 – by which time Pagan had departed. It was the infamous 'Kreuzer Cup' match against Melbourne, and Austin stood high-flying Demon Michael Newton.

While he would appear again in each of the next two seasons, hip, leg and arm injuries stymied his chances of continuity. Having failed to cement a berth in the Blues' line-up during his five years at the club, Austin was forced to pack his bags at the end of 2011.

The Bulldogs came knocking in the 2012 rookie draft, but even afforded a reprieve out west, the trend of spasmodic appearances has continued. The career-high tally of 11 games he strung together in his first year at the Dogs was ended by a wrist injury – sustained against of all teams, the Blues.

When you average less than five games a season, playing that many in a row (as Austin has done since his round 13 AFL recall) is an achievement, and he is pleased with the way he is now tracking. But of course there are no guarantees. As a third-year rookie, Austin must be promoted to the senior list at the end of the year, or his stint at the Bulldogs will be over.

"I had a really good sit-down chat the other week with Macca (coach Brendan McCartney) after the Geelong game," Austin says. "I didn't have the best game and we just had a chat about what I need to be – it's not Matthew Scarlett. I don't need to be a superstar defender, I just need to replicate what Dale Morris has done through his career – just be a solid guy who never gives in."

Having managed to blanket up and coming Gold Coast forward Sam Day last week, Austin will now have to play his part in curbing the in-form Essendon tall forward trio of Jake Carlisle, Joe Daniher and Patrick Ambrose.

With newly-gained mortgage broking qualifications there as a safety net should it all come to an end, Austin won't be caught thinking about anything other than the task at hand on Sunday at Etihad Stadium.

"My performance starts to drop when I start to panic too much about the future," he says.

The other article - the Tim Lane one - shows how fickle the media can be and how little we should worry about what they say.

No gripe with Tim Lane. He's only one commentator and this article is a fairly positive (though slightly patronising) one. But the general vibe from other commentators a month ago was that we were irrelevant. Now we are flavour of the month. A bad loss or two in a row and we will be back in the irrelevant basket. Let's just stick to our own vision and our own plans.

I hold the most of the ex-footballer commentators in contempt.

EDIT: Clarification of the last statement: It seemed a bit harsh on re-reading it. Ex-footballers who are commentators and just call the action and do some interviews I have few problems with. It's the pretentious ones with tickets on themselves but very little deep understanding of the state of The Game that I have contempt for.

Last edited:

Essendon — who Johannisen will today take the field against — made an audacious play to steal him last year but Johannisen has rejected several clubs to re-sign at the Dogs.

“JJ just took (Dalrymple’s) eye with his speed,” Dogs list manager Jason McCartney told the Herald Sun, revealing Johanissen has penned a new three-year deal.

Well that's nice...

Congrats JJ

That is an excellent interview for understanding what Macca's on about.

I have heard the mantra of "quality people" from Macca ad nauseum. It has been mocked on this board plenty. But this was the first time I've heard him spell out some detail about what kind of character traits he looks for. And I must say, they ring true to me.

As part of my job I am in charge of developing young talent (not sporting talent but i work in a very high pressure field), and so I have taken an active interest in a number of Macca's techniques. His desirable character traits list is almost identical to what I have found works in my experience. It's comforting to hear. And it fills me with even more confidence about his development nous.

That is an excellent interview for understanding what Macca's on about.

I have heard the mantra of "quality people" from Macca ad nauseum. It has been mocked on this board plenty. But this was the first time I've heard him spell out some detail about what kind of character traits he looks for. And I must say, they ring true to me.

As part of my job I am in charge of developing young talent (not sporting talent but i work in a very high pressure field), and so I have taken an active interest in a number of Macca's techniques. His desirable character traits list is almost identical to what I have found works in my experience. It's comforting to hear. And it fills me with even more confidence about his development nous.

Macca is a smart cookie. He knows that you can't push a kid into the deep end and expect them to swim but he is looking for kinds with the mental fortitude to take on any criticisms, to have a crack without having to be asked and to adapt.

I sent this to my cousin whos a bombers fan and wanted JJ
Homer-gives-the-finger-o.gif

Missed the beginning, came in as he was saying the Cats factory provided a well-rounded background in coaching.
He spoke to coaches in Cairns about including families of players in their functions etc. In favour of AFL coaches giving some time to mentor coaches at lower levels.
Went to Gil's dinner, they discussed the direction of the game. All coaches passionate about growing the game, increasing fairness in the comp.
Sees footy as equal to a university course, players learning skills, the game and learning how to set up a career and lifestyle. This takes about 4 years after which players should be developed to a professional level.
Agreed that last week was a pivotal point in the youngsters taking over from the vets. At the pre-match meeting this week the players took charge of structures among themselves, not the coaches telling them.
Young players eg Bont, Macrae, are very calm and unstressed, willing to listen and learn. Drafted partly due to these qualities.
Aware that players scrutinise the coaches as much as vice versa so important to have integrity in team selection and rewards for effort and behaviours.
Instilling into the young players to work hard and fight for the club, especially because of long flag drought. They know they are on a journey and are growing as a group.

Very inspirational interview.

Mmm that is one mighty delicious cup of kool-aid!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice to hear Wayne Carey speak positively about our young talent, particularly Stringer who has been overshadowed by Bonti recently

Gerard Healy opens the show saying of all the winners on the weekend, he was more impressed with one of the losers....if you want a team to follow over the next 10 years or so, get on board the dogs.
And Mike Sheahan agreed

Last edited:
If we didn't have the freak show Bontempelli we'd all be salivating over Stringer instead, good to see some starting to take notice.
Gerard Healy opens the show saying of all the winners on the weekend, he was more impressed with one of the losers....if you want a team to follow over the next 10 years or so, get on board the dogs.
I like this. I'm scared to believe it, but I like it.
And Mike Shehan agreed
Really? I've always found Sheahan to be a tedious character with a strange disdain for the Dogs, but he's coming around lately.

While I love the positivity, I'm sick of the media.

3 weeks ago, Dogs are irrelevant and heading nowhere.

Now, get on the dogs because in a couple of years they'll win 5 flags in a row!

Have some shades of grey in there. But I shouldn't expect anything less.

Anyway, let the celebrations continue! DOGS FOR NEXT 10 FLAGS

Did any of the aforementioned experts mention that we have a dud coach that has never played the game at the highest level, like them or indeed some of the magnificent contributors to this board? A coach that is invariably, win-lose or draw out-coached every week? A coach that is obviously holding back our team by playing his old favourites in place of our young guns who are all languishing in the two's? A coach that if we jettison him forthwith, we'd finally reach the much vaunted RW&B halls of Valhalla?

If they didn't I place no faith in their judgement.

Where when and what :)
Sorry I wasn't specific, but as Testekill said, Carey rates our youngsters. Small mention again at the start of Talking Footy. Footy Classified on the other hand spoke about all the clubs, Melbourne at length with Paul Roos, but nothing at all about the Dogs.

This morning SEN were wetting themselves about Carlisle for about 15 mins, then said they would be back after the break to talk about us but instead came back and talked about golf then said they were going to have the Saints coach next so I gave up. :rolleyes:

Last night a Dogs supporter rang Finey and said Crameri wasn't worth it, talked a bit about who we could get for a forward - Finey suggested Darling [ok] and Butcher [:eek: - started off well but not great now]. Then he went on to say he didn't like Finey and he didn't give callers a fair go etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back