Opinion What to do with Jonathan Giles?

Remove this Banner Ad

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
It seems Joffa it the forgotten Giant. Early this season he was the supporting ruckman who played up forward (even spent time as a key defender in the NAB cup) and was one of the first to reach 50 games for the club. Now it seems Cameron is happier with Mummy playing the majority of games by himself with a forward cutting him a break when needed.

So the question remains... what do we do with him? Does he stay in NEAFL? Does he get traded(If so what is his value)? Is there still a role for him in the best 22 or will he need to add another string to his bow?

What do we think?

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Really not sure. I'd like him to stick around, but the few NEAFL games I've seen I think Sauce has passed him as a ruck option, so his form is not great at the moment. Whether he's carrying something, or been told his papers have been stamped or whatever, he seems to lack intensity and concentration. Whether another club would revitalize his interest I don't know. I also don't know how much we'd get for him.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
I think it is in his interests and our own that we trade him. He is 27 next year so probably has 4 good years left and his opportunities with us will only get smaller as our young kids develop.

I think we could swap him for a decent player of do a package with him and a kid that could net a decent draft pick.

He was a gun for us in years 1 and 2 and has impressed me heaps with his marking ability and accurate kicking. His tap work is average but he is the kind of player that could fill a role for a lot of teams.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I would really like to see him passed on... to someone like Port for example where they are short on ruck options. Agree he could play a role for a number of clubs... don't really care what we get for him (possibly 2nd round but probably 3rd) but i would like to see him moved on to a club with more opportunity.

I also agree he could be combined with another strong player to net a decent draft pick.... we shall see

May 24, 2014
Canberra Region
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Ricciardo#3, Sydney Thunder
He has got to feel a little deflated. He stuck with the club and entered a new contract when he could have gone home on decent deal. Then we land Mummy, and is now playing twos week in week out. I agree, if he he wants to go, help him get to where he gets back to playing firsts...he is good enough.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Part of me wonders if they got him to fifty games and said it's time for pasture. Which is strange because he's younger than Mummy.

He would be first cover for Mummy if Mummy was injured, but it won't be long until Phillips or Lobb could do that.

He's too good for NEAFL and I think he's lacking intensity because of it.

If he wants to go,I reckon the club will help him find somewhere good.

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
How many teams that need a decent but not elite ruck man that can swing forward have spare KPD that a good but not elite and fit our culture/age profile as well as willing to move to nsw?

IanW

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
#Exers
How many teams that need a decent but not elite ruck man that can swing forward have spare KPD that a good but not elite and fit our culture/age profile as well as willing to move to nsw?

None.

Just go 'Joffa, Mumford's the first option, and we're running a one ruck system with forwards doing the chop-out work. Tell your manager to make the phone calls for the best option for you, and we'll do a very reasonable deal on a trade.'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hi. With Scott Lycett reportedly being committed to West Coast, Port are after a ruckman who can play a key position. I think Luke Lowden and Jon Giles are the obvious fits of ruck men with some ability who could play a role in both the short and medium term whilst not costing a huge amount in terms of a trade. I am assuming that GWS will only be using early picks in the draft and don't really need any fringe players. I am interested in what Gws would be looking for in a trade when they don't really need the equivalent in picks or players?!

Hi. With Scott Lycett reportedly being committed to West Coast, Port are after a ruckman who can play a key position. I think Luke Lowden and Jon Giles are the obvious fits of ruck men with some ability who could play a role in both the short and medium term whilst not costing a huge amount in terms of a trade. I am assuming that GWS will only be using early picks in the draft and don't really need any fringe players. I am interested in what Gws would be looking for in a trade when they don't really need the equivalent in picks or players?!

Not easy to say tbh, late 2nd rnd, early 3rd maybe?
Currently if Mummy breaks Giles is straight back in as #1 ruck, must be frustrating for him, and given his service last year especially is a bit grating for us fans too, but he still has a lot of worth to us. Less so when Downie/Lobb/Phillips start to hit their straps.

Last edited:

IanW

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
#Exers

One thing GWS have done really, really well is to do a lot of small trades that add up to something worthwhile.

For example, assume Port finish fourth and GWS 15th. More or less, that puts your first pick at 15 and our second at 22. Giles being worth #15 is ... a BigFooty Trade suggestion ... but Giles and #22 for #15 ? Thats getting reasonable.

Theres always a deal that can be negotiated :)

NB Remember as well, we're the club who knocked back pick 43 from Adelaide for Edwards, so we could trade Edwards and Aylett for pick 48 to Essendon. Why ? Because Aylett had done all the right things as a footballer, and although we didnt have space on our list, we figured helping his career was the right thing to do.

Mark Howden

Draftee
Aug 11, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
He has got to feel a little deflated. He stuck with the club and entered a new contract when he could have gone home on decent deal. Then we land Mummy, and is now playing twos week in week out. I agree, if he he wants to go, help him get to where he gets back to playing firsts...he is good enough.
From what I remember he tried to go home at the end of 2012 but the deal fell through with Adelaide because he wanted assurances he's be in their top 22. They couldn't commit to that, so he resigned with the Giants.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back