What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkgal02

Team Captain
Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Your opinion is your opinion and I won't knock the opinion in itself. But what if I said that her journalistic muck-raking is a tumor-inducing negative energy upon the game? She never writes about the game, and only survives on generating negative stories to suck in a readership addicted to drama. The game would be better for her media demise.
If you honestly believe that, then that's a fair enough opinion. I don't personally agree with it myself.
I just wonder why she receives so much criticism about her journalism while journalists such Craig Hutchison and Mark Robinson (who i personally can't stand) don't receive the same level of hatred and grotesque comments made about them.
Is she made an easy target because she is a woman and it is easy to single her out because she is different and not apart of the 'old boys club'.

Tyler Hodges

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76'ers
Following Caleb Daniels mums mentality, I think aus kickers should start wearing the helmets at a young age. Yes it would look funny but so do footy shorts to people watching AFL from overseas. No more man buns you can't go wrong, and mums and dads don't mind a broken bone and grazes it's the brain damage from concussions that worries most.

Hipster Doofus

Bigfooty's Neighbour
Feb 14, 2011
Apartment 5B
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
The Scarlett toe poke is the most overrated moment in football history.
Daniel Chick's smother and shepherd leading to Hunters (Sealing?) goal in the 06 gf should be spoken about in a higher regard than Scarlett's lucky fling at the footy but it barely rates a mention in comparison.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
If you honestly believe that, then that's a fair enough opinion. I don't personally agree with it myself.
I just wonder why she receives so much criticism about her journalism while journalists such Craig Hutchison and Mark Robinson (who i personally can't stand) don't receive the same level of hatred and grotesque comments made about them.
Is she made an easy target because she is a woman and it is easy to single her out because she is different and not apart of the 'old boys club'.
The mysoginstic comments against her are appalling and, along with the obvious racism amongst football followers, is big reason for my gradual retreat from football culture over the years. However, this is a separate issue. Her actual writing is a stain on the game. She rarely writes anything positive and I'm sure she doesn't really watch the game because she's got no insight into it whatsoever. What she does have is a finger on the pulse of the industry and how to manipulate that knowledge to her own agenda.

Following Caleb Daniels mums mentality, I think aus kickers should start wearing the helmets at a young age. Yes it would look funny but so do footy shorts to people watching AFL from overseas. No more man buns you can't go wrong, and mums and dads don't mind a broken bone and grazes it's the brain damage from concussions that worries most.
Nathan Burke likes this.

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
AFL doesn't have a rule that restricts the positioning of the attacking line based on what the defensive line are doing.

yet coaches will instruct forwards to track all the way back into their team's defensive 50m arc to create numbers around the ball rather than utilise the 'attacking' advantage of this rule the rule makers allow.

besides, take away the offside rule in soccer and one of the major skill and tactical attributes of the game is removed.......on both sides of the ball.

as I said, i'm referring to strategy. the AFL has generally gone defensive with the trend of less goals being scored in the game over time. In contrast, the trend in soccer is more goals are being scored.

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Heard Leigh Mathews talk about having 16 on the ground. I'd have to agree that it would be more exciting. It's obvious there is too many on the field at the moment.

there aren't too many players on the field.

there are too many 'recovered' players on the field due to the high number of interchange.

it's now a game of bust a gut for 5-10', take a breather, repeat........for 2hrs.

the game has essentially become sets of intervals for players. every player has a GPS unit and their work is monitored in the box in real time. once their speed, distance covered, etc reduces due to fatigue, they are taken off.

cap interchange at 40 or thereabouts and players will struggle to run the speed and distances in the bursts they do now, as they would have to maintain it for longer periods of the game.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
yet coaches will instruct forwards to track all the way back into their team's defensive 50m arc to create numbers around the ball rather than utilise the 'attacking' advantage of this rule the rule makers allow.

besides, take away the offside rule in soccer and one of the major skill and tactical attributes of the game is removed.......on both sides of the ball.

as I said, i'm referring to strategy. the AFL has generally gone defensive with the trend of less goals being scored in the game over time. In contrast, the trend in soccer is more goals are being scored.

I can't disagree with any of that and I am equally disappointed in the defensive state of the game, but the fact remains, I can watch a horrid defensive AFL game and still expect to see 15 goals total, plus behinds, or an attacking soccer game, and maybe 5 goals total. For all the mindset and trends, one sport still scores much more heavily.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
The mysoginstic comments against her are appalling and, along with the obvious racism amongst football followers, is big reason for my gradual retreat from football culture over the years. However, this is a separate issue. Her actual writing is a stain on the game. She rarely writes anything positive and I'm sure she doesn't really watch the game because she's got no insight into it whatsoever. What she does have is a finger on the pulse of the industry and how to manipulate that knowledge to her own agenda.

Racism in 2015 making you lose interest in footy? You must hate the heritage of your own club then from back in the day when things were much much worse, almost unimaginably worse than today...

SydneyMalakellis

Senior List
Oct 2, 2009
The Internet
AFL Club
Geelong
Ban the rushed behind. Was brilliant for about the first five rounds in 2009 when players freaked out if they thought they couldn't rush the ball through for a point, and then it became clear you could only not rush a behind if you weren't under pressure. You can't put the ball out deliberately anywhere else, so why do it at the goal front???

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't mind Caro either. I don't agree with everything she says, but her presence is important in breaking up an industry that is really just one giant boys' club.

I like Caro now because she has left James Bayshaw alnoe since EFC became the main focus of her attenion.

I like what Hird has done, because it means that Caro leave James Brayshaw alone while she spits her venom at EFC.

old55

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Capping the interchange AND reducing the number of players on the field to 15 are the best changes to try to solve the current rolling maul. They are both measures that don't actually change the playing rules, just change coaching strategy.

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Goal Kicking has improved re technique, It's the pressure now that kills players, Never in the games life have we seen the amount of pressure players feel today.

I think it's fatigue more than pressure. Players are always stuffed lining up for goal. When players like Lockett/Dunstall/Lloyd etc played, they mostly hung around in the goal square waiting to lead. It's much easier to take a shot for goal if you haven't run a 5km time trial before you do it.

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ban the rushed behind. Was brilliant for about the first five rounds in 2009 when players freaked out if they thought they couldn't rush the ball through for a point, and then it became clear you could only not rush a behind if you weren't under pressure. You can't put the ball out deliberately anywhere else, so why do it at the goal front???

The problem with both the deliberate behind and deliberate out of bounds rule is you are asking the umpires to make a decision on what the player was thinking, which is impossible. It's already the worst officiated rule in the AFL.

The game would be much more free flowing if boundary throw-ins were removed entirely or only took place when it was unknown who put the ball out. Then players really would try to keep it in all the time. It would be a massive change in the game though since boundary throw ins are a huge part of it now.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I think it's fatigue more than pressure. Players are always stuffed lining up for goal. When players like Lockett/Dunstall/Lloyd etc played, they mostly hung around in the goal square waiting to lead. It's much easier to take a shot for goal if you haven't run a 5km time trial before you do it.

Yeah Agreed, I'd say another point in the "Technique improved" column.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back