What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put Isaac Smith on the wing at a team like Melbourne or the Saints and watch him being torn to shreds in footy circles for not doing enough when his team is scrapping for wins.
Silly opinion.

Isaac Smith runs harder and for longer than any other Hawthorn footballer. He would be one of the hardest working footballers in the AFL. You just don't see it on TV unless they choose to highlight it and show the "down the ground" footage.

There is a difference between winning real football matches and winning fantasy football matches.

Brisbane needing a priority pick and only surviving with an unequal system (more cap space) says to me expansions failed and wasted a * load of money that could've gone to improving the product. It's been 20+ years and we're talking about excepting rules for them.

Abort mission I say.

Silly opinion.

Isaac Smith runs harder and for longer than any other Hawthorn footballer. He would be one of the hardest working footballers in the AFL. You just don't see it on TV unless they choose to highlight it and show the "down the ground" footage.

There is a difference between winning real football matches and winning fantasy football matches.
Yeah, well said. There's a reason Smith is always "ahead of the play". It's not because he's cheating, it's because he run like a goddamn maniac to get there and lose his opponent.

There was footage 2 years ago when Hannebury was tagging Smith. Hanners tried to go with him for about 400m and just couldn't keep up. In that time Smith only had 1 possession and eventually got the I50 that resulted in the goal just from hard work. He doesn't break through packs but Hawthorn don't want him to.

At Melbourne though, he'd still be a great player but certainly not at the level he is now.

Brisbane needing a priority pick and only surviving with an unequal system (more cap space) says to me expansions failed and wasted a * load of money that could've gone to improving the product. It's been 20+ years and we're talking about excepting rules for them.

Abort mission I say.

I think we've got to get over this "expansion" "mission" and territorial mindset, and just work with the idea that to have a national league, logically, we should have teams in the most populated areas all around the country, regardless of what other sports are doing or what is "traditionally" played in the area.

I think we've got to get over this "expansion" "mission" and territorial mindset, and just work with the idea that to have a national league, logically, we should have teams in the most populated areas all around the country, regardless of what other sports are doing or what is "traditionally" played in the area.
Yeah and if a team has been in the league 30 years and still needs a different set of rules to survive then it's not real expansion IMO

Yeah and if a team has been in the league 30 years and still needs a different set of rules to survive then it's not real expansion IMO

What different rules are Brisbane working under at the moment? They haven't officially applied for a priority pick AFAIK, they haven't been approved to get one, and getting an extra 18-year-old who is 5-6 years away from entering their prime as a footballer is obviously not going to help fix their on-field problems now, so it's not a sensible solution that should even be debated.

My point is that we need to forget about regional/state considerations. One league. One Australian marketplace. Forget about soccer and rugby league. Nothing needs to be "conquered" or "defeated" or "taken over".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What different rules are Brisbane working under at the moment? They haven't officially applied for a priority pick AFAIK, they haven't been approved to get one, and getting an extra 18-year-old who is 5-6 years away from entering their prime as a footballer is obviously not going to help fix their on-field problems now, so it's not a sensible solution that should even be debated.

My point is that we need to forget about regional/state considerations. One league. One Australian marketplace. Forget about soccer and rugby league. Nothing needs to be "conquered" or "defeated" or "taken over".
yeah I can't think of any different rules right now, but one of the arguments for them getting a pick is that being up there with the same cap as everyone else is too hard to keep players so they deserve a priority pick to get an edge. These are Brian Waldron's words.

There's just no way for mine that 25+ years into a business venture we should still be talking about their disadvantages like that as reasons to bend rules for them or make exceptions. After 25+ years it becomes about viability. Give them time like everyone else to get their house in order, give them the same equalities you afford the rest of the league and if they can't figure it out it should be over. That goes for my club too. Make it a level playing field and if we can't figure it out then that's it.

The Grand Final should be played at the highest ranked team's home ground. Even if that's Metricon, SCG, KP.

People consider having at the MCG every year to be a bastion of traditionalism in spite of the corporate landscape, but it's one of the most pro-corporate aspects of the league.

So, they just introduced teams in other States over a 30 year period for the hell of it?

They did it to expand. What I'm saying is, we need to move on from the "expansion" and "Victoria vs. Interstate" mindset, and just treat all clubs and areas of the country equally.

I think Mike Sheehan was right not to include Ben Cousins in his 'Team of the 2000s'. Not because of drug use, but because he wasn't a better footballer from 2000-2009 than the other midfielders selected in the team - Nathan Buckley, Michael Voss, Simon Black, Chris Judd, Gary Ablett Jnr, Mark Riccuito, and Shane Crawford. I feel like Cousins has become supremely overrated since retirement, too.

I think Mike Sheehan was right not to include Ben Cousins in his 'Team of the 2000s'. Not because of drug use, but because he wasn't a better footballer from 2000-2009 than the other midfielders selected in the team - Nathan Buckley, Michael Voss, Simon Black, Chris Judd, Gary Ablett Jnr, Mark Riccuito, and Shane Crawford. I feel like Cousins has become supremely overrated since retirement, too.
serious?

Cousins was far more damaging during this period than Ablett Jnr, who only started to become elite in 2007. Cousins was elite for 8 years in this period.

Mike Sheehan is just an old hack who has a strong dislike for the Eagles.

Hmm if thats the case then I think 1 team from WA, 1 team from SA, 1 team from NSW and 1 team from QLD should also be shown the door.... but which ones ? dun dun dun :D

I think 16 teams is a good number. And having 2 teams from NSW/SA/QLD/WA and then 8 from VIC. Merge Melbourne and North Melbourne & Bulldogs and Saints.
2 of remaining Vic teams split between Tasmania (Hawks) and NT.

Makes it more of a national game. I'm sure the 30 or 40 people who support those 4 Victorian teams will get over it. :p

Competition should go back to 16 teams. 2 Victorian teams to go/be merged.

I'd take it a lot further than that:

Australian Capital Territory
1. Giants (Rebranded/permanently relocated GWS Giants)

New South Wales and NZ
2. Sydney Swans (alternate home games between Sydney and Blacktown)
3. Saints (Rebranded/relocated St Kilda) (alternate home games between Newcastle and New Zealand)

Northern Territory
4. Bulldogs (Rebranded/relocated/merged Melbourne and Western Bulldogs) (alternate home games between Alice Springs and Darwin)

Queensland
5. Brisbane Lions
6. Gold Coast Suns (alternate home games between Gold Coast and Cairns)

South Australia
7. Adelaide Crows
8. Port Adelaide Power

Tasmania
9. Tassie Hawks (Rebranded/relocated/merged Hawthorn and North Melbourne) (alternate home games between Hobart and Launceston)

Victoria
10. Carlton Blues
11. Collingwood Magpies
12. Essendon Bombers
13. Geelong Cats
14. Richmond Tigers

Western Australia
15. Fremantle Dockers
16. West Coast Eagles

I'd also re-introduce an AFL Reserves competition, with the same teams, fixture and travel schedule as the main league. I'd also reduce things to a 15 game H&A season (each team plays each other once, alternate bi-annually between home and away), and a six-team finals series, too (single elimination, top two teams getting a bye).

This would obviously be extremely controversial and re-shape things massively from both a supporter and financial perspective, but this would also truly nationalise the national league, have every major population centre represented, and balance things out all-round a lot better IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back