What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel free to make a case for Collingwood to merge if you like...
Two poor and poorly-run clubs merging would be a disaster. Merge, say, Collingwood and West Coast and you would have a powerhouse that would be so dominant that no one would ever get close to again.

For the record, I think a decision on mergers is something that should be left to the members. If they want to do it, then go ahead. I don't think it will happen any time soon.

Collingwood should have merged with Fitzroy. Close locations, and Collingwood would've avoided the pits of the late 90s. Also would've had to adjust their colours and possibly mascot, leading to Port entering in it's preferred presentation.

Done.
Open war in the streets. Collingwood and Fitzroy haaaated each other.

All these Goodes tributes like wearing the indigenous flags on their arms and Nathan Jones' celebration are pissing me off.

Goodes has not died. **** off. Goodes is getting more tributes than Phil Walsh did...

But it makes sense for NewGens in Australia to honour a sook instead of a deceased man. Media f***ing love it!

That Duck wasn't far off with his call on Sam Mitchell.

While his ball use is terrific, his lack of defensive efforts/running and tackling would be much more obvious in a weaker side.

To say that he wouldn't make those sides is outrageous, but he sure wouldn't look as good and wouldn't be considered on the same level currently.

This is NOW I mean not in the past when his run/pressure was better.

Tributes to Adam Goodes are good for the game and Australian society in general.

In overall terms I agree with you.

I just wish it was for someone more worthy of the tributes. Quite frankly Goodes does a lot of great things outside football, but there are a number of things he has done that don't sit well with many Australians (of all races/backgrounds).

First of all accepting the AOTY award when he clearly shouldn't have accepted. Not because he didn't deserve it, but because he believed that what the award stood for was wrong. This was clearly echoed in his speech.

Secondary to that there's the on field stuff. Sliding in with the feet (nobody else has done that), smacks to the balls deliberately, and the constant diving/whinging to umpires make him an unlikable player (notice I said player not person).

The pointing at the girl thing is one I'm torn on. I had no problem with him doing it initially, but I think afterwards he should have come out, stood side by side with the girl and apologised to her for singling her out, but at the same time making sure that people and the girl herself understood that what she did was wrong and wont be tolerated in today's society. People are constantly bleating about Goodes' wellbeing, well what about that girls wellbeing. She's suffered from an upbringing which obviously didn't teach her the sensitivity of racial issues, but that is not the fault of a 13 year old child. She was then thrust into the public eye and underwent the same scrutiny Goodes does, except without the 500k per year paycheck. She would've been abused in the street, and most likely had to go into hiding for a while.

The unfortunate part of this is that the racists have found a refuge, where they can hide their racist views amongst the crowd. I hope the booing stops and Adam Goodes the champion footballer returns to the field ASAP because as much as I think he behaves like a dick sometimes, he is a champion and great to watch. He deserves to go out on his terms.

I'd take it a lot further than that:

Australian Capital Territory
1. Giants (Rebranded/permanently relocated GWS Giants)

New South Wales and NZ
2. Sydney Swans (alternate home games between Sydney and Blacktown)
3. Saints (Rebranded/relocated St Kilda) (alternate home games between Newcastle and New Zealand)

Northern Territory
4. Bulldogs (Rebranded/relocated/merged Melbourne and Western Bulldogs) (alternate home games between Alice Springs and Darwin)

Queensland
5. Brisbane Lions
6. Gold Coast Suns (alternate home games between Gold Coast and Cairns)

South Australia
7. Adelaide Crows
8. Port Adelaide Power

Tasmania
9. Tassie Hawks (Rebranded/relocated/merged Hawthorn and North Melbourne) (alternate home games between Hobart and Launceston)

Victoria
10. Carlton Blues
11. Collingwood Magpies
12. Essendon Bombers
13. Geelong Cats
14. Richmond Tigers

Western Australia
15. Fremantle Dockers
16. West Coast Eagles

I'd also re-introduce an AFL Reserves competition, with the same teams, fixture and travel schedule as the main league. I'd also reduce things to a 15 game H&A season (each team plays each other once, alternate bi-annually between home and away), and a six-team finals series, too (single elimination, top two teams getting a bye).

This would obviously be extremely controversial and re-shape things massively from both a supporter and financial perspective, but this would also truly nationalise the national league, have every major population centre represented, and balance things out all-round a lot better IMO.
This is downright horrifying. North and Hawthorn supporters don't really like each other much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completely agree. I think she's certainly had many ordinary moments in her career, plenty of times when criticism of what she has said/written is warranted. But then, as with most females around the game, especially those that are paid to have an opinion and tread on some toes when necessary, on sites like this, it invariably comes back to how attractive/unattractive men find her. Who cares??

When someone resorts to that, all it says to me is that they're reaching to come up with an argument. Classic example of playing the (wo)man, not the ball.

I agree. I can't think of a male football writer who isn't between moderately and f*** ugly, and while people certainly disagree with Robbo, Patrick Smith etc., comments are based on their opinions rather than their attractiveness.
I don't like the way Caro went after North Melbourne but she won a lot of respect from me with her handling of the Essendon issue. There were a lot of journos out there with their heads in the sand, either not reporting it or pushing the "poor old Essendon persecuted by the AFL" agenda (hi Robbo!), but Caro's reporting on the issue was very reasonable and readable.

I put it to the BigFooty community that a larger majority of Fremantle BigFooty posters are the worse group of posters we have. Which is surprising because the Fremantle supporters I encountered in Melbourne during GF week 2013 and the match day are some of the best opposition supporters I've ever encountered. The victim mentality and constant obsession with all things Hawthorn has reached stalker proportion.

Whinge, whinge, whinge. Do not rate them on this forum at all.

I put it to the BigFooty community that a larger majority of Fremantle BigFooty posters are the worse group of posters we have. Which is surprising because the Fremantle supporters I encountered in Melbourne during GF week 2013 and the match day are some of the best opposition supporters I've ever encountered. The victim mentality and constant obsession with all things Hawthorn has reached stalker proportion.

Nah... Sydney fans. Easily.
The biggest bunch of hypocrites around.

Don't rate tippet at all until he lands there.
Boo a roo, but we're gunna egg people for booing

That's before we've even got to the bigfooty stuff.

Nah... Sydney fans. Easily.
The biggest bunch of hypocrites around.

Don't rate tippet at all until he lands there.
Boo a roo, but we're gunna egg people for booing

That's before we've even got to the bigfooty stuff.
They are seriously living in a bubble.
They are fed a constant line of PR. Attend an SCG game and engage in any comment or banter with re a player (polite humour and no foul language) and they have no idea how to cope as spectators.

Yet be outside the ground after they have won and there isn't a bigger bunch of merchant bankers on the planet. That's even after a win over a struggling bottom 4 team.

Belt them by 50 plus and the world is a racist.

Last edited:

freo fans are alright.

sydney and geelong fans are the worst.

Skills of players today are much better than in the past (pre 90s)

that's an unpopular opinion?

People say the only things that haven't improved are the goal kicking and the umpiring. However what they don't mention is that both have become far far more difficult jobs. I would have liked to see Plugga or Dunstall kick set shots as well and easily had they run 500m at sprint speed right before hand.

that's an unpopular opinion?

People say the only things that haven't improved are the goal kicking and the umpiring. However what they don't mention is that both have become far far more difficult jobs. I would have liked to see Plugga or Dunstall kick set shots as well and easily had they run 500m at sprint speed right before hand.

OK. I'm glad its not unpopular. I've heard commentators, one of the Mike Sheehan say skills are low now

Collingwood should have merged with Fitzroy. Close locations, and Collingwood would've avoided the pits of the late 90s. Also would've had to adjust their colours and possibly mascot, leading to Port entering in it's preferred presentation.

Done.
Haahahaahahahahahaha. Preferred position? Do you Port supporters realize we had the black and white stripes before you lot? And I'm not talking in the AFL, we had the black and white stripes since 1892. Long before you lot. The magpies side of things, is slightly different, but in relation to your presentation? Suck it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back