What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haahahaahahahahahaha. Preferred position? Do you Port supporters realize we had the black and white stripes before you lot? And I'm not talking in the AFL, we had the black and white stripes since 1892. Long before you lot. The magpies side of things, is slightly different, but in relation to your presentation? Suck it up.

You do realise Collingwood adopted black and white after viewing a visiting south Australian side? It might go around in circles but it always starts in Adelaide.

I'm glad you didn't copy us, the PBs are a much better design than simple stripes, especially in it's current incarnation, which, as I'm sure you'll know, was only introduced around 15 years ago.

I put it to the BigFooty community that a larger majority of Fremantle BigFooty posters are the worse group of posters we have. Which is surprising because the Fremantle supporters I encountered in Melbourne during GF week 2013 and the match day are some of the best opposition supporters I've ever encountered. The victim mentality and constant obsession with all things Hawthorn has reached stalker proportion.

Whinge, whinge, whinge. Do not rate them on this forum at all.

Eh. Any thread about COLA or something and Sydney supporters are aggressive, whiny flogs. Any thread about WC/Hawthorn and it's Fremantle. Any thread about relocation or Essendon and you get tired of North supporters.

I don't find any supporter base really terrible, although Hawthorn supporters do get tiring on the Umpiring/MRP/tribunal board!

That the game really is in trouble. It won't evolve out of its current state and requires intervention. Zones, 14 players a side... something. We desperately need to reduce the congestion.

That the game really is in trouble. It won't evolve out of its current state and requires intervention. Zones, 14 players a side... something. We desperately need to reduce the congestion.

Nah, just cut down the interchange and it will be fine.

I put it to the BigFooty community that a larger majority of Fremantle BigFooty posters are the worse group of posters we have. Which is surprising because the Fremantle supporters I encountered in Melbourne during GF week 2013 and the match day are some of the best opposition supporters I've ever encountered. The victim mentality and constant obsession with all things Hawthorn has reached stalker proportion.

Whinge, whinge, whinge. Do not rate them on this forum at all.

Nah. Some of the newer ones are more aggressive than the older ones, but overall Freo supporters on here tend to know more about their opposition than most.

I believe that Patrick Dangerfield will be playing for the Adelaide Crows next season. All the Melbourne media, along with all the Geelong Bigfooty posters and half the Crows Bigfooty posters have playing for Geelong.

that's an unpopular opinion?

People say the only things that haven't improved are the goal kicking and the umpiring. However what they don't mention is that both have become far far more difficult jobs. I would have liked to see Plugga or Dunstall kick set shots as well and easily had they run 500m at sprint speed right before hand.

Which is weird. Because it has improved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's basically impossible to tell if goal kicking has improved. You can't just look at goals vs behinds without comparing a bunch of other factors, some of which would be:

1) Looking at the score distances between eras (obviously closer in are easier shots)
2) Looking at the angles kicked at (without analysis of data that doesn't even exist I would expect that with flooding there would be less goals from directly in front these days and more from sharper angles)
3) Conditions (without analysis of data that doesn't even exist I would expect that on average it would have been harder to kick goals from the same spot on the field back 30 years ago due to ground conditions)
4) Goals from marks vs general play (including looking at snaps)

They're just some off the top of my head. Obviously the data from pre 2000s isn't there to actually see if we are getting better or worse at kicking goals.

Really depends what line you're drawing for 'modern era'. But the 2000's were the most accurate decade in history.

http://www.matterofstats.com/mafl-stats-journal/2010/4/12/goalkicking-accuracy-across-the-seasons.
Statistically, there has been little improvement since the 80's and 90's but there has been some improvement, but it is quite a lot better than pre-80's.

Well im happy to accept that.
Also people forget that the shots these days are from much harder angles/further out due to the zoning defensive systems.

It's basically impossible to tell if goal kicking has improved. You can't just look at goals vs behinds without comparing a bunch of other factors, some of which would be:

1) Looking at the score distances between eras (obviously closer in are easier shots)
2) Looking at the angles kicked at (without analysis of data that doesn't even exist I would expect that with flooding there would be less goals from directly in front these days and more from sharper angles)
3) Conditions (without analysis of data that doesn't even exist I would expect that on average it would have been harder to kick goals from the same spot on the field back 30 years ago due to ground conditions and in no roof)
4) Goals from marks vs general play (including looking at snaps)

They're just some off the top of my head. Obviously the data from pre 2000s isn't there to actually see if we are getting better or worse at kicking goals.

Yeh this is my point.
People say it 'hasn't improved' but the job of goalkicking (like umpiring) has gotten much more difficult in the modern game.

Yeh this is my point.
People say it 'hasn't improved' but the job of goalkicking (like umpiring) has gotten much more difficult in the modern game.

It will be interesting to look at the %'s at the end of this decade, and see whether the decrease mid game over the last 5 years is maintained or whether that's a blip based on only having half the data.

Given that heavy rotation started to occur around 05-ish.

I volunteer you for the job.

Nah. Some of the newer ones are more aggressive than the older ones, but overall Freo supporters on here tend to know more about their opposition than most.

Fair enough.
It felt unfair typing it because the ones I met pre and post match GF 13 were ripping supporters.
Bit of banter, gracious in defeat and then just keen to get on the piss and celebrate a great season.
Some of the tosser on here though...wow! Never had so many on the block list.

That violence has crept into our fans ...we are Taking the game too seriously ...it's not life and death ....it's just a game to be loved ...too much hatred going on

Drugs are not a really a problem in the afl when compared to society ......I'm a drug and alcohol counsellor. Trust me the AFL doesn't have a problem really

The game itself is fine ...we just need to leave it

The inside 50 stat is the most useless stat ever ....it only exists because we have line marked on the ground that says "50" .....if a line wasn't there the stat wouldn't exist.

Goal kicking accuracy is the most important stat in footy ...take your chances you win more than you lose

That violence has crept into our fans ...we are Taking the game too seriously ...it's not life and death ....it's just a game to be loved ...too much hatred going on

Drugs are not a really a problem in the afl when compared to society ......I'm a drug and alcohol counsellor. Trust me the AFL doesn't have a problem really

The game itself is fine ...we just need to leave it

The inside 50 stat is the most useless stat ever ....it only exists because we have line marked on the ground that says "50" .....if a line wasn't there the stat wouldn't exist.

Goal kicking accuracy is the most important stat in footy ...take your chances you win more than you lose

No, the game is not fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back