What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a popular one. i remember on triple m Garry Lyon ripped into him because he refused to come on and chat after they had questioned his leadership the day or week prior
That's Garry being the notoriously arrogant bastard he is though. Ablett would've had his reasons for not taking the call.

If AFL coaches haven't figured out Betts is a threat after 400 odd career goals they shouldn't be employed. He is dangerous crumbing, good in the air for his height and very good at setting up teammates. Definitely top 1-3 currently along with Wingard and Rioli (Walters challenging that group).

AFL coaches sometimes over complicate things and basics like leavig a man goal side get forgotten.

FYI loose balls and crumbing over the top spills is exactly what his role is as a crumbing forward.

In the modern defensively orientated game you simply shouldn't be allowed to kick that many goals from those situations.

AFL coaches sometimes over complicate things and basics like leavig a man goal side get forgotten.

In the modern defensively orientated game you simply shouldn't be allowed to kick that many goals from those situations.
Betts doesn't miraculously swoop on four dozen loose balls a year. He taps the ball to himself & only takes possession once in the clear

Betts doesn't miraculously swoop on four dozen loose balls a year. He taps the ball to himself & only takes possession once in the clear

It is a skill but compared to Wingard or Roili, even Milne back in the day, it should be one that is much easier to negate than how the others score goals.

And Ross' defensive mindset might make for non entertaining footy, but it's the reason his win:loss ratio is stacks better than other coaches.
Sure his W/L column reads pretty nicely but at the end of the day he's s**t just like Eade, they can pull a side from being average to pretty good but go no further.

This chart sums it up perfectly. Simply, they are not good enough.
Screen_Shot.png

I can't rate Betts because I haven't seen him live.

Unfortunately, he didn't play against Hawthorn in the 2015 Semi Final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As kpf at times doesn't crash enough packs but, these days spends so much time up the field in the Midfield and even rotating to the hff that his opportunities to have somewhat diminished.

The main knock on him was that back in 2014 and the start of 2015 but towards the end of 2015 his body of work in the middle has well and truly overshadowed that weakness to the point some are calling for him to be featured in the centre more often. And yes in the centre he uses his size wonderfully.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Forward. The 2014 Grand Final should be what he does as standard.
You are right he is extremely inconsistent at this aspect of his game but he is head and shoulders above most other kpp at almost all other aspects. You can't have everything.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Forward. The 2014 Grand Final should be what he does as standard.

• Maybe right but Roughy rarely plays as a traditional key forward in the Kennedy/Walker/Hawkins style. Hawthorn have gone away from that method over the past couple of years, preferring a multi pronged small and medium set up with a tall drifting in when possible. There is a lot of sacrificing of ones own game that needs to be done to make it work and Rough is often used in that manner.

I get a bit tired of the thing that a good game of footy must be a high scoring game (100 plus) and a low scoring game is necessarily bad and will turn AFL into an NRL clone or whatever and commentators have to pretend it's a massive issue that deserves a freaking forum to debate potential rule changes every single year.

I think the bad games are the ones where the basic skills on display are bad - not so much about low or high scoring.

I get a bit tired of the thing that a good game of footy must be a high scoring game (100 plus) and a low scoring game is necessarily bad and will turn AFL into an NRL clone or whatever and commentators have to pretend it's a massive issue that deserves a freaking forum to debate potential rule changes every single year.

I think the bad games are the ones where the basic skills on display are bad - not so much about low or high scoring.
for me when watching on television you are spot on but at the game i even enjoy bad skills as long as its high scoring, turnover to goal provides great banta and alot of stand up from your seat moments which in-turn create great atmosphere.

image.jpg

I should be enthusiastic about the fast approaching AFL season but am not .
Because essendon are in it.
I have uploaded a picture to this post that I feel adequately expresses my feelings regards essendon their protestations of innocence their supporters and the AFL in general on this lazy Sunday afternoon

Last edited:

Yep, there's definitely no rule regarding scores (well within reason, let's say at least 120 points accumulated must be scored), it is how the game is played. I found the 1989 Grand Final, in the last half, to be a little boring, a little too open and kick and catch, which kinda negated the high scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back