What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No it wouldn't. The reason they can't gain market share is because of the Port stigma. Through the 70s, 80s and 90s the Port magpies went out of their way to make sure everyone except for magpies supporters hated them. It worked so well it has come back to bite them on the ass now.
Of course they would have to move their home base etc out somewhere north as well. It will not have an immediate impact but in 10 years time they will be much better off for it.
Sort of re-creating a club without having to do so. The Northern suburbs of SA are also the fastest growing. Would help take advantage of that market.
lol crows supporters

BRADLESTICKS

Senior List
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
96 - 22 touches 9 marks 1.3
98 - 13 touches 5 marks 1.4
99 - 12 touches 5 marks 2.0

pretty sure his 'finals' record would be equal to or better in terms of goals per game but not grand finals.

i do remember him playing on the ball in the 3rd quarter of the 99 gf making the forward line more unpredictable and less obvious and that we kicked away that quarter.

so perhaps like buddy in 08 it was a bit of a decoy role to confuse the opposition.

pretty sure i read somewhere that he was 3rd in norm smith voting for 96

Carey was good/solid in 96 for a player of his stature, in 98 his opponent peter caven was brilliant not only at negating carey but ran off him to create lots of opportunities for the crows, personally I had caven 2nd/3rd best on ground with rehn, McLeod clear number 1, in 99 the reason carey got moved on to the ball was silvagni was beating him comfortably as he always did, carey's record against sos is very ordinary and struggled against him even more than he did jackovich. AS for buddy while he was fairly quiet in 08 he did kick 2 of the most important goals in that game at critical times.

Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Unless there has been a recent story I'm unaware of, Cousins was always adamant he never took drugs the day of, the day before or even 2 days before a game ever. He specifically addressed that issue multiple times. If you've ever taken recreational drugs you would know it would be very here to perform on them as an elite athlete.

I agree with the rest of your point though, if he loses one award, it stands to reason that he loses them all.
Regarding cousins...junkies cant help themselves. If he had gear...he would of had a little taste from time to time on game days. Thats the nature of addiction. Its beyond his control. Chic and Kerr would have been the same. The hooks were deep

the_big_sav

Premiership Player
May 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
Carey was good/solid in 96 for a player of his stature, in 98 his opponent peter caven was brilliant not only at negating carey but ran off him to create lots of opportunities for the crows, personally I had caven 2nd/3rd best on ground with rehn, McLeod clear number 1, in 99 the reason carey got moved on to the ball was silvagni was beating him comfortably as he always did, carey's record against sos is very ordinary and struggled against him even more than he did jackovich. AS for buddy while he was fairly quiet in 08 he did kick 2 of the most important goals in that game at critical times.

no doubt sos had careys measure (99 and career) but making the move rather then just leaving him there made a difference.

i was only 9 when i was at 98 gf and haven't watched it since but id say HAD he kicked straight in the first half (like the whole team) it would be different. if your opponent has 5 shots at goal i wouldnt think thats still a bit disappointing.

i agree with the original thing about other chfs having bigger days then him on gf day i just always go into bat to say his games weren't as bad as people make them out to be.

the_big_sav

Premiership Player
May 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne

and the buddy thing im more going off what my cats mate has said. he for some reason has watched 08 a couple of times and felt buddy seemed to be a bit of a decoy to get scarlett out of the way.

I actually believe the bigger a superstar, the more detrimental he is to the team. Seems rare that a great team has a stand out player from the others ( Ablett at GC, Fyfe, Dangerfield, Franklin) as these stars have to be inherently selfish to be as good as they are. Yes, I believe all these players teams are better off without them but it's not the stars fault.

You need decent players turn to highly efficient players to get a great team (chapman, Breust, Enright, Lewis for example) and that comes with culture. These players are guys who wouldn't have been memorable in say, individual sports but are exquisite team/role players. I feel like the champs should have been solo athletes in some other sport.

Heard this before but I'm not convinced. If they're detrimental to the tea, does that mean a team can improve without them? geelong 2011, and Hawthorn 2014 are examples, but did they legitimately improve, or were they able to compete at a similar level by making up for their loss in other areas? Or were they already so good a team that they didn't really need Gaz jnr or buddy? But they were/are great teams, so what about Adelaide and dangerfield, do you see them improving without him (atleast finish about the same as last year)? Or do you think they the players to cover him and will struggle?

Jan 30, 2004
bentleigh
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawthorn
Didnt worry Brisbane or Sydney in the past 15 years.
5 premierships between them. Just out of interest that is far more than the SA and WA teams combined in that time period (2).

If you get a strong team, and a good environment, people will stay.

Brisbane have had more problems holding on to players over the he past five years than anyone. The fact that players now apparently feel so enabled to get up and leave, contract or not, spells danger for their future. Sydney are an established club playing in the biggest city in Australia, with extra money to spend and the support of about 98% of people who give a stuff about AFL football in that town. They are a world away from the AFLs bottomless money drain over the Harbour Bridge.

Tyler Hodges

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76'ers
Heard this before but I'm not convinced. If they're detrimental to the tea, does that mean a team can improve without them? geelong 2011, and Hawthorn 2014 are examples, but did they legitimately improve, or were they able to compete at a similar level by making up for their loss in other areas? Or were they already so good a team that they didn't really need Gaz jnr or buddy? But they were/are great teams, so what about Adelaide and dangerfield, do you see them improving without him (atleast finish about the same as last year)? Or do you think they the players to cover him and will struggle?
I think Adelaide is such an unknown because of their coaching situation, but from a team balance side of things yeah they will move forward. I think it's an overrated loss, but that doesn't mean I don't think he's a great player. It's not like basketball or soccer where if you loose Messi or Curry your chances of winning are significantly diminished there's too many players on a team

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
Unless there has been a recent story I'm unaware of, Cousins was always adamant he never took drugs the day of, the day before or even 2 days before a game ever. He specifically addressed that issue multiple times. If you've ever taken recreational drugs you would know it would be very here to perform on them as an elite athlete.

I agree with the rest of your point though, if he loses one award, it stands to reason that he loses them all.

I thought that is what he said originally, but it came out later that he was drug affected on game day.

And yeah I have taken illicit drugs, and to an extent they certainly could be beneficial to performance.

Heafy83

Premiership Player
May 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts, Liverpool, Bulls
lol crows supporters

What part of this isn't true?

Yes your avg crowds are larger now but you avg 38k crowds when you first entered the comp. It only declined from there. Your older fans, and their now kids, are coming back. Whether its the new stadium or a refreshed personnel at the club. I was right. You did have to relocate.

The only reason your club is still here today is because the AFL bailed you out. Plain and simple. You have done fantastically well to turn it around but even with record crowds, and so called record memberships you could only post a $200k profit.
Your market share was always there. You haven't gained any. Its just supporters have come back. I have several Port supporting mates who wouldn't go near a Power game 6 years ago, but all of a sudden go to 5-6 a year at least. They always were supporters and watched most games on TV, but weren't prepared to put money down on the club.
You wont convert crows fans to port and vice versa. It just doesn't happen. Your growth has come from an existing supporting base that finally is supporting the club again financially.

Heafy83

Premiership Player
May 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I think Adelaide is such an unknown because of their coaching situation, but from a team balance side of things yeah they will move forward. I think it's an overrated loss, but that doesn't mean I don't think he's a great player. It's not like basketball or soccer where if you loose Messi or Curry your chances of winning are significantly diminished there's too many players on a team

Agree 100%. I find it so hard to peg a position for us in 2016 even being a Crows supporter. There are just so many unknowns. New coach, loss of top 3 player in the league, recruitment of more outside run, tougher draw, gaining a quality midfielder in Crouch back, development of existing youth etc.

For me we will be in that 6-12 position bracket. However there are arguments either way to push us higher or lower.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What part of this isn't true?

Yes your avg crowds are larger now but you avg 38k crowds when you first entered the comp. It only declined from there. Your older fans, and their now kids, are coming back. Whether its the new stadium or a refreshed personnel at the club. I was right. You did have to relocate.

The only reason your club is still here today is because the AFL bailed you out. Plain and simple. You have done fantastically well to turn it around but even with record crowds, and so called record memberships you could only post a $200k profit.
Your market share was always there. You haven't gained any. Its just supporters have come back. I have several Port supporting mates who wouldn't go near a Power game 6 years ago, but all of a sudden go to 5-6 a year at least. They always were supporters and watched most games on TV, but weren't prepared to put money down on the club.
You wont convert crows fans to port and vice versa. It just doesn't happen. Your growth has come from an existing supporting base that finally is supporting the club again financially.
Alberton is our home base you were calling for a re-branding and shift away from the Port "Stigma" out north, there's no doubt Port reconnected with it's traditional fan base (which you all thought was a mistake mind you) & the move to AO has benefitted both SA clubs but to say there's been no growth outside of Port's trad fan base would be quite a long bow.

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
Posting a profit of 200k was merely a pr stunt. Still have a debt of 7.1 million, would rather break even and 6.9 million

Still a long way to go

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
Alberton is our home base you were calling for a re-branding and shift away from the Port "Stigma" out north, there's no doubt Port reconnected with it's traditional fan base (which you all thought was a mistake mind you) & the move to AO has benefitted both SA clubs but to say there's been no growth outside of Port's trad fan base would be quite a long bow.

To be fair, you reconnected after alienating them to begin with.
Most of them came back because they're port through and through and it turned out to be a good move.

This is something I wish we had in the Adelaide supporter group, but given the lack of history I think its difficult to emulate.

Some say a supporter that doesnt rock up when the team is doing crap isnt a real supporter. I'm really not sure about this, because a lot of the time the 'real' supporters are the one that vote with their feet when the club is not doing what it should.

If port had continued to have 40k crowds throughout the early 2010s then they may not have had the total overhaul that they needed and has seem them flourish since.

Heafy83

Premiership Player
May 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

You did re-brand. You went from 'the Power' to the 'One Club' persona of Port Adelaide to lure traditional fans back in. I never said it was a mistake to re-connect. I knew they had burnt a lot of bridges and it was going to be hard. To your credit you have been able to re-connect with most.
Depends on what you consider traditional fan base. A child of traditional fan is not new growth in my eyes. 9/10 times they will follow in their parents footsteps. There would be very minimal growth outside of it.

Demonated

All Australian
Aug 16, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Regarding cousins...junkies cant help themselves. If he had gear...he would of had a little taste from time to time on game days. Thats the nature of addiction. Its beyond his control. Chic and Kerr would have been the same. The hooks were deep
He has all the makings of an obsessive compulsive drug addict. Addicts for anything (alcohol, gambling, drugs) don't necessarily engage in these behaviours on a daily basis, they can and do go weeks/even months at a time not doing it, but they will either be drawn back in or plan ahead at a time or place where they feel they can do it or deserve it. Cousins has admitted to doing drugs heavily during the season, but he meticulously planned when and where he could do them (after Friday night games, or Saturday games in Perth). I have no reason to not take him at face value, he has been reasonably forthcoming.

Kerr the same, said he would only go crazy once a month, but would fit a whole month's worth of crazy binging into one night. It is the way some people operate, and makes perfect sense as it coincides with Cousins, Kerrs and Judd's of how the team seemed to operate at the time.

Demonated

All Australian
Aug 16, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I thought that is what he said originally, but it came out later that he was drug affected on game day.

And yeah I have taken illicit drugs, and to an extent they certainly could be beneficial to performance.
I've never understood this. Pills, coke and speed all accelerate heart rate dramatically, dehydrate the user massively and make it very hard for any clarity of thought. If someone is out on an AFL field running 15km with their heart banging out of their chest and losing water while not being able to focus, it would be detrimental to performance.

Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've never understood this. Pills, coke and speed all accelerate heart rate dramatically, dehydrate the user massively and make it very hard for any clarity of thought. If someone is out on an AFL field running 15km with their heart banging out of their chest and losing water while not being able to focus, it would be detrimental to performance.
Why have horses been juiced up on cocaine for racing then?...Columbian marching powder. Its a performance enhancer. Same with ice. It's my experience that you can't trust what a junkie says. Thier reality is clouded. If he was lying to Worsfold and his parents...why not the media too in his " rose colored tainted memoirs"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back