What was your highlight of the 2014 GF?

Remove this Banner Ad

REally liked Birchall seriously giving it to Franklin after he staged for the free when Gibbo gave it to him. Birch is a loyal, honest, straight down the line country boy. Franklin is.... well......NOT that.

I sensed a reasonable amount of dislike there too. Birchall was stern-faced about the whole thing...suspect they either didn't really get along when playing, or the defection was seen by Birchall in a particularly bad light.

In terms of getting me out of my seat in joy, Will Langford's third goal from the boundary line was the clear highlight.

In terms of typifying how Hawthorn intended to play the game, Roughead's tackle on Hannebery.

In terms of typifying how Sydney ended up playing the game, McEvoy beating Jetta on the wing to a loose ball.

I sensed a reasonable amount of dislike there too. Birchall was stern-faced about the whole thing...suspect they either didn't really get along when playing, or the defection was seen by Birchall in a particularly bad light.

Birchall might also remember that earlier this year, Franklin clipped Birchall in the face.

Yeah, whatever the relationship was before Birchall looked like he had been waiting to give it to Franklin all day and couldn't hold on any longer

langfords goal from the centre square after a chain of handballs....when the game was still alive....awesome!

that was the nail for me - though i wouldnt let myself accept it until midway through the last...!

still cant believe the amazing all round balanced team performance....not one soldier had an off day...Smith was probably the quietest but even he made some really great plays....and that has been our strength all year....not reliant on anyone, all for one!!

go hawks!!!

The whole game !
It is just the complete performance, our best game and greatest grand final win of all time. The favourites are too long to list.
I'm still in awe ! Watched the game 5 times in 3 days and will just keep on watchin it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is kinda weird but whenever Langford does something I involuntarily do the racehorse thing and start hittting myself on the hip, its a go you good thing reaction...I think. I noticed it first in the qualifying final and it appears to that I am now whipping the horse harder or langford is playing better, because i have bruises on my hip after the granny.
I only do with him though, can't really explain it :confused:

Even the Leigh Matthews statue out the front of the G could tackle Tippett. Horrible footballer.

agree - he really fails to impress...and when the ball hits the ground, forget it....

if Budwar were to get a long term injury, $ydny would be $crewed.....

cant wait for the impending salary cap squeeze when Bud's contract really kicks in....ha...

Hodgey.. intercept mark from the kick out, play on, settle onto the left, GOAL. Door shut before half time by the Two time Norman and Skipper. Oh so beautiful to watch!

In truth, there's sooo many! The Langers goal in the third and all the epic hits on Hannerbury in the first, etc etc were/are gold medal worthy!

Having watched the replay a couple of times now, there are 2 lesser noticed moments that I thought really set the tone of the game for us.

After the first clearance watch Mitchell, he does a 1-2 with Birchall and then smacks into Rohan as he blocks him. Rohan went off for attention and didn't do anything effective for the rest of the game.
Towards the end of the first quarter (3:15 to go) Stratton spoils a kick-in, allowing us to keep the ball down there for the next couple of minutes and allow Langford to eventually kick a goal.

Having watched the replay a couple of times now, there are 2 lesser noticed moments that I thought really set the tone of the game for us.

After the first clearance watch Mitchell, he does a 1-2 with Birchall and then smacks into Rohan as he blocks him. Rohan went off for attention and didn't do anything effective for the rest of the game.
Towards the end of the first quarter (3:15 to go) Stratton spoils a kick-in, allowing us to keep the ball down there for the next couple of minutes and allow Langford to eventually kick a goal.
Mitchell got Goodes right down the middle as well in the second Q in front of the members. It was just before Smith took off with the ball during our five in five run.

Goodes was sucking them in afterwards and needed a moment.

There are so many highlights, the Burgoyne goal from 50 m out was a classic.

Pity I missed the stripper in the box ;) well at least she had good taste and has a hawthorn scarf on.

i had a dude high fiving everybody around him after every goal...there was 21 goals and i have to say each one was magical....langers freak goal is by far the best though...everybody played well though.....

The whole game !
It is just the complete performance, our best game and greatest grand final win of all time. The favourites are too long to list.
I'm still in awe ! Watched the game 5 times in 3 days and will just keep on watchin it.

5 times for me as well 6* counting the MMM stream i recorded (bloody thing cut out just as Clarko was getting his medal :( wish i was paying attention as i would have restarted the stream).

The entire game was fukcing epic! But I adore Junior Boy & will focus on him ... for now. When Cyril flew & flew & flew & then finally landed in the first quarter I held my breath. Then he took off & chased & I was reassured we'd made the right call. He was primed & I knew all is good. His deflection of Tiprat's hand pass & subsequent pass to Rough was sublime. Forget the official stats cos his mere presence & the perceived pressure he creates can not be measured. Ever! The $wines fans near me were calling him a wallflower but then again ... they cheer behinds. Fukcwits! After the game I was told Junior tweeted "brown & gold runs through my veins." I smiled, & as I said ... I knew all is good! Always#

Has anyone a photo of the chest tat yet?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back