What was your highlight of the 2014 GF?

Remove this Banner Ad

I sensed a reasonable amount of dislike there too. Birchall was stern-faced about the whole thing...suspect they either didn't really get along when playing, or the defection was seen by Birchall in a particularly bad light.
Might just be Birch generally. Have a look at the end of the 3rd when Lake out marks Tippett in a one on one. Birch goes up to Tip and gives it to him.

Two days later and I'm still grinning from ear to ear. Saturday was football nirvana in every sense. We brought back the unsociable footy of 2008 and boy was it good to watch. Seeing their whole team, but particularly Hannebery, Goodes, Jetta, Parker, Grundy and Tippett wilt under the physical barrage shows what a bunch of overrated front runners they were this season.

Knowing that even with all the advantages they are given Shitney still weren't good enough will make me happy for a long time.

I missed this boundary line goal of Langford's that everyone keeps talking about because my brother in law wigged out and kicked us out for being too loud so can't wait to get the DVD. In terms of a favourite moment, I'd say Rioli having such an impact despite only 9 touches and vindicating his selection will always stick in my mind.

Four quarters of football mastery.

Individually; Burgers taking a stroll through traffic in the first and Swans falling about him as he went. Burgoyne is poetry in motion.

Oh and Burgoyne jumping for joy after the siren. He could have been ten years old such was his pure happiness and his smile when the Big Rough approached was also somehow similarly beautifully innocent.

He really looked like a big kid.

There's a video up on the afl site called where the game was won or something like that, showing all our hard tackles and hits on the opening half.

That video. Everything about it. The fact that Hill drags Tippett to the ground, a guy two years ago we all accused of not tackling enough hitting and dragging down one of the biggest guys on the field. How can you not love that.

Mine was easily my favourite football memory to date, I was sitting a couple of rows behind the bench. With a couple of minutes to go Hodgey and Mitch were both off the ground, still talking strategy but you could see in their eyes they'd knew what they'd done. Burgoyne I think kicked a goal and they celebrated and it was just epic seeing their reaction up close

Am still shaking my head in joyous disbelief at what I was privileged enough to see on Saturday. My favorite moment was seeing my 7 year old sons face when the siren went then singing the song with him as we watched the players celebrate. It's a dream come true to take my boy to see a Hawthorn flag.

one of the highlights was my 12yo daughter turning to me just before the bounce and saying "thanks for bringing me Dad"...priceless...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The final siren, confirming officially that we had gone back to back.
The players and fans' reactions.
Pretty much the whole game. Unsociable, hungry Hawks.

For me it was post GF. On AFL 360, no less than perennial Swans fanboy, Paul Roos, saying that the Hawks win was the best Grand Final performance he has ever seen.

1. Hodge kiss on the cheek for Buddy
2. Dunstall coming on stage and both coach and him embracing each other. Brought back alot of memories. Him being our sharpshooter and reason our eyes being glued to the screen for kicking 120+ goals in season. Knocking back great offer to go to QLD, then when club was on its knees, stepping in, helping appoint Clarko.

100%.

My favourite part was that bit between the first siren and the last.
Yep, totally agree.

Though I do have a very soft spot for the kid who, when presenting our captain with his medal, said "You're my hero, Hodgey".

Honesty in children is often underestimated.

A few for me

1. Langer's second goal. This 'after already having kicked his first
2. Increasing our lead every quarter, no letting up, a complete, relentless and ruthless destruction
3. Finishing on our highest margin of the game.....no cheapies at the end to bring it back to 45
4. Lake & Spang giving Bud some rough treatment in the 1st...priceless
5. Rioli crying over the realisation of the club giving him the opportunity to win his 3rd flag...the moment pulls on the heartstrings
6. The bonus of McEvoy knocking out lil twerp Jetta while spoiling and getting the ball back in our hands

Remove this Banner Ad

Back