What will happen with the two plastic franchises?

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said previously best two solutions as far as an SANFL supporter goes is, both The Crows and Port power join the AFL reserves if there becomes one, or VFL now. Im happy for a Port Magpies team to remain in the SANFL comp, but must be a true SANFL club that has to run by the same rules as every other club, not like todays Joke of a set up with, rules for one and rules for another.

Tell me, you do understand the reason true SANFL supporters hate the set up, it is not because of Ports strength or the name you are using but the fact both you and the crows run under different rules, which may or may not give you an advantage. Interesting that the crows have only beaten the two teams which voted against them. And as for Centrals having a strong period they ran under the same rules as everyone else.

Your opinion on whether or not the SANFL will be here in 10 years , is just that, your opinion. But remeber if you lose a league that is the dominant league in the respective state, whether it be the NEAFL, WAFL or SANFL it will only weaken football as a brand, so Im sure the controlling body of Football in Australia may have a bit of intervention to ensure its brand stays strong, they wont care about the league but more football as a brand.

Well, it looks like the second 'plastic franchise' has awoken from its slumber and is showing the rest of the comp that it was merely a sleeping giant which will now to be a force to be reckoned with. I don't feel so bad about my club losing at home to Adelaide now, as Woodville-West Torrens also went down at home by 8 goals to Adelaide.

South, Sturt and Woodville-West Torrens are the three standouts in 2014, but all three have now been on the end of some big hidings by the 'plastic franchises'. It will be interesting to see if Adelaide start building momentum from here, keep winning games and make the finals. The fallout will be HUGE if it ends up being Adelaide v Port in the Grand Final.

Yes it appears now with Adelaide Crows just one game out of the finals and Port Power well and truly on top it is going that way. Its funny how the clubs were going to struggle as the year went on but Adelaide seem to be getting better. I suppose not only the Adelaide Crows and Port Power get injuries but the 8 true SANFL clubs are not insulated from getting injuries also.

Well, it looks like the second 'plastic franchise' has awoken from its slumber and is showing the rest of the comp that it was merely a sleeping giant which will now to be a force to be reckoned with. I don't feel so bad about my club losing at home to Adelaide now, as Woodville-West Torrens also went down at home by 8 goals to Adelaide.

South, Sturt and Woodville-West Torrens are the three standouts in 2014, but all three have now been on the end of some big hidings by the 'plastic franchises'. It will be interesting to see if Adelaide start building momentum from here, keep winning games and make the finals. The fallout will be HUGE if it ends up being Adelaide v Port in the Grand Final.
Yet you fully support Geelong in the VFL. Go figure.

Yes it appears now with Adelaide Crows just one game out of the finals and Port Power well and truly on top it is going that way. Its funny how the clubs were going to struggle as the year went on but Adelaide seem to be getting better. I suppose not only the Adelaide Crows and Port Power get injuries but the 8 true SANFL clubs are not insulated from getting injuries also.
Yeah, we dominated Centrals on the weekend. I mean 13 points! When have you ever seen such a margin?

Yeah, we dominated Centrals on the weekend. I mean 13 points! When have you ever seen such a margin?

A wins a win, you arent going to dominate every weekend but you have given out your fair share of floggings and you will win the majority of others quite comfortably, Centrals did well to bring back the margin but were never going to win. You have lost the first game and havent looked like losing since but to have a salary cap like yours, what else do you expect!

Cant you see how this has stuffed up the entire comp? As I have read about other teams supporters towards the Port Power, seriously what do you expect, yes everyone hated Port Power before, but now the hate goes further as you are not playing on the same conditions as the other SANFL teams, nor are the Crows.

Your wins will be questioned by every other supporter and as for bringing supporters back to the SANFL a total YTD of 140K against same time last year $133K with one extra team seems like a reduction to me, consiering we have an extra club. And this should be the glory or peak times before it loses its interest to the fair weather supporters who have jumped on the banwagon to see their AFL teams.

A wins a win, you arent going to dominate every weekend but you have given out your fair share of floggings and you will win the majority of others quite comfortably, Centrals did well to bring back the margin but were never going to win. You have lost the first game and havent looked like losing since but to have a salary cap like yours, what else do you expect!

Cant you see how this has stuffed up the entire comp? As I have read about other teams supporters towards the Port Power, seriously what do you expect, yes everyone hated Port Power before, but now the hate goes further as you are not playing on the same conditions as the other SANFL teams, nor are the Crows.

Your wins will be questioned by every other supporter and as for bringing supporters back to the SANFL a total YTD of 140K against same time last year $133K with one extra team seems like a reduction to me, consiering we have an extra club. And this should be the glory or peak times before it loses its interest to the fair weather supporters who have jumped on the banwagon to see their AFL teams.
AFL Reserves comp will not be far away I would guess. Best result for all parties concerned. Be interesting to see how the SANFL fairs going forward without license fees and with a reduced TV rights deal.

I barrack for Geelong in the AFL, the fact that their reserves team plays in the VFL is of little consequence when compared to the significance of reserves teams playing in the SANFL. Comparing the VFL to SANFL is akin to the old apples and oranges comparison, they're polar opposites. The VFL of today is very obviously nothing like what it was prior to becoming the AFL. Today's VFL is a competition in name only, a composite competition which merged with the reserves about 15 years ago.

The VFL is forever changing and evolving, but one thing which has remained constant has been the presence of a Geelong reserves side. Just like Port Magpies, Geelong's reserves side exists solely as a means to an end for its AFL side. Of course I wish to see the VFL side play well and be competitive, as this usually translates to the AFL side playing well also.

As with all reserves sides though, development for the main side is primary to winning at all costs. I'd watch South Adelaide play because they're my SANFL club and I'd cheer them on to win without any other modus operandi. I'd watch the Geelong reserves play hoping that they'll win, but hoping more than anything that the young players play well and put pressure on the lower order 22 in the AFL side, and that the players returning from injury pull up okay.

For what it's worth, if South Adelaide were to play against the Geelong reserves, I'd be going for the Panthers in a heartbeat. Ask any Crow supporter whether they'd now go for the Crows reserves side over whichever SANFL club they've supported and I defy you to find ONE real SANFL supporter who'd abandon their local club if they've been supporting them for any length of time over a reserves team of their AFL club.

The sooner there is a fully fledged AFL reserves competition playing curtain raisers to the main AFL side, the better. Even though the VFL isn't anything like the SANFL, I still don't take great comfort in seeing clubs like Port Melbourne and Williamstown struggling against AFL reserve sides. The latter two clubs don't have the history of clubs like Norwood, East Fremantle etc. but they're still great clubs which deserve more dignity than to be trounced by fully fit professional reserve sides.

If that still qualifies me to be a hypocrite, then so be it.:rolleyes:

I barrack for Geelong in the AFL, the fact that their reserves team plays in the VFL is of little consequence when compared to the significance of reserves teams playing in the SANFL. Comparing the VFL to SANFL is akin to the old apples and oranges comparison, they're polar opposites. The VFL of today is very obviously nothing like what it was prior to becoming the AFL. Today's VFL is a competition in name only, a composite competition which merged with the reserves about 15 years ago.

The VFL is forever changing and evolving, but one thing which has remained constant has been the presence of a Geelong reserves side. Just like Port Magpies, Geelong's reserves side exists solely as a means to an end for its AFL side. Of course I wish to see the VFL side play well and be competitive, as this usually translates to the AFL side playing well also.

As with all reserves sides though, development for the main side is primary to winning at all costs. I'd watch South Adelaide play because they're my SANFL club and I'd cheer them on to win without any other modus operandi. I'd watch the Geelong reserves play hoping that they'll win, but hoping more than anything that the young players play well and put pressure on the lower order 22 in the AFL side, and that the players returning from injury pull up okay.

For what it's worth, if South Adelaide were to play against the Geelong reserves, I'd be going for the Panthers in a heartbeat. Ask any Crow supporter whether they'd now go for the Crows reserves side over whichever SANFL club they've supported and I defy you to find ONE real SANFL supporter who'd abandon their local club if they've been supporting them for any length of time over a reserves team of their AFL club.

The sooner there is a fully fledged AFL reserves competition playing curtain raisers to the main AFL side, the better. Even though the VFL isn't anything like the SANFL, I still don't take great comfort in seeing clubs like Port Melbourne and Williamstown struggling against AFL reserve sides. The latter two clubs don't have the history of clubs like Norwood, East Fremantle etc. but they're still great clubs which deserve more dignity than to be trounced by fully fit professional reserve sides.

If that still qualifies me to be a hypocrite, then so be it.:rolleyes:
You would support South no matter what happened yeah? Same here with the Magpies. I may not be happy with how it played out, but I won't stand by and have my club criticised by someone supporting a SANFL team who as a club has nothing in terms of heritage and tradition when compared to Port Adelaide.

All you 'pure' SANFL supporters seem to forget that we were following Port Adelaide long before all this s**t happened. Would you be happy if we all stopped supporting a team that many of us have followed for our whole lives. I have never known anything other then Port Adelaide, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let jealous and petty SANFL sheep talk smack about the greatest club there competition has ever produced.

You would support South no matter what happened yeah? Same here with the Magpies. I may not be happy with how it played out, but I won't stand by and have my club criticised by someone supporting a SANFL team who as a club has nothing in terms of heritage and tradition when compared to Port Adelaide.

All you 'pure' SANFL supporters seem to forget that we were following Port Adelaide long before all this s**t happened. Would you be happy if we all stopped supporting a team that many of us have followed for our whole lives. I have never known anything other then Port Adelaide, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let jealous and petty SANFL sheep talk smack about the greatest club there competition has ever produced.
Geelong will always be my number one club. South is a close second though. Not that it would ever happen, but if South Adelaide were to join the AFL, I'd be torn when they played against Geelong, but ultimately it'd be the Cats I'd hope would win, but only just. I wonder how Norwood and Adelaide supporters would feel if the Redlegs were to join the AFL? Probably a question for a different thread, but still interesting nonetheless.

I understand the difference between a regular reserve side and Port Adelaide's reserve side. Port Magpies have never left the SANFL, Port Power were just created to represent the PAFC in the AFL. I of course understand the significant symbolism of what the Magpies represent and I believe that the prison bar guernsey isn't done justice being used only to represent a reserves side.

If Port Adelaide joined the AFL as the Magpies and retained the prison bar guernsey (we all know why that couldn't have happened), I think that the vehement defence of the Magpies by Port supporters in general wouldn't be necessary. The Magpies cheer squad would have just transferred to the AFL and whatever representation of Port there was in the SANFL would have been less relevant to Port supporters. One things for sure, no Magpie supporter would have had a reason to feel aggrieved when the SANFL Magpies became the official reserves side if the Magpies, as opposed to the Power were representing Port Adelaide in the AFL.

AFL Reserves comp will not be far away I would guess. Best result for all parties concerned. Be interesting to see how the SANFL fairs going forward without license fees and with a reduced TV rights deal.

Does that mean instead of the SANFL having to pay 3/4 Million to be televised that will only have to pay 1/4 Million. LOL

And as for licencing fees, no they wont receive that, as they have sold the licences to the clubs. Why do you think they did that. Gee may have something to do with the SMA deal wouldn't it. They were under no obligation to sell the licences that they owned, and would have been in the rights to keep them if they wished to. The only reason that they got the Oval deal was because of a deal brokered by the AFL to ensure the clubs could purchase the licences, otherwise why would the SANFL sell them. If I owned a income generating asset, why the hell would I sell it unless I was offered something to replace it. So don't worry about where the SANFL will derive their income from, they are a lot smarter than some give credit for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port aren't directly to blame for the current farcical state of the SANFL. They are simply playing within the parameters set by the SANFL and doing what it is their best interests. They placed greater importance in their Power left overs playing together than maintaining the traditional Magpies structure with zones, juniors etc. That's their decision. The blame rests with the SANFL commission (Olsen etc), and the six clubs that bent over without hesitation.

As for the little dig at South Adelaide, yep we haven't had the on field success that we would have liked, but to say that our 130+ years of tradition and heritage is nothing compared to the Magpies is typical of the ignorance/arrogance that seems to come out of Alberton.

Last edited:
Port aren't directly to blame for the current farcical state of the SANFL. They are simply playing within the parameters set by the SANFL and doing what it is their best interests. They placed greater importance in their Power left overs playing together than maintaining the traditional Magpies structure with zones, juniors etc. That's their decision. The blame rests with the SANFL commission (Olsen etc), and the six clubs that bent over without hesitation.

the club was forced into it, it was openly stated that the club was happy with status quo, but once the crows were voted in by the sanfl clubs suddenly port were threatened that if they didnt accept the same deal their sanfl 'licence' would be revoked and then would be forced to accept the same conditions. the club then had to fight hard to keep the sanfl structure that they have now. the club never chose to give up its zones and junior structures, quite the opposite, they are still having a juniors side that will play in the ametuer league, port are also still putting time and money into the eyre peninsula country zone that they have had for 40 + years but as of next year are going too norwood.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-06-11/port-adelaide-affirms-commitment-to-eyre-peninsula

Last edited:
So Port publically stated they were happy with the status quo? I don't recall hearing that. Actually now that you mentioned it I recall reading Keith Thomas saying that for 2014 they were happy, but beyond that not so as it was inevitable they would need their own AFL ressies team sooner rather than later.

I also don't buy the whole "license revoking" slant that KT and Port spun to their members. At the South Adelaide members night when the reserves were debated this claim was rebutted by our Director.

There is the other belief that KT and the Power honchos didn't want the blood to be on their hands when it came to the demise of the 'traditional' Maggies, and so left the dirty work up to the league and the other SANFL clubs.

The general public will never know the whole story. Too much underhanded bullsh*t went on from all parties. I guess it's all moot now that it's occurred.

So Port publically stated they were happy with the status quo? I don't recall hearing that. Actually now that you mentioned it I recall reading Keith Thomas saying that for 2014 they were happy, but beyond that not so as it was inevitable they would need their own AFL ressies team sooner rather than later.

I also don't buy the whole "license revoking" slant that KT and Port spun to their members. At the South Adelaide members night when the reserves were debated this claim was rebutted by our Director.

There is the other belief that KT and the Power honchos didn't want the blood to be on their hands when it came to the demise of the 'traditional' Maggies, and so left the dirty work up to the league and the other SANFL clubs.

The general public will never know the whole story. Too much underhanded bullsh*t went on from all parties. I guess it's all moot now that it's occurred.
The status quo in terms of retaining the development zones and underage teams, yes. Port then offered to reduce the size of the zones as an acknowledgement that there would be less spots available for non-AFL listed players. If this outcome had occurred the 'traditional' magpies as you put it would still be around from 2015 and beyond.

I have been present (as an Eagles supporter) at the Crows and Port games the last two weeks. It is so clear that their (AFL reserves teams') fitness is far superior. Even though the Bulldogs beat Adelaide this weekend (can't believe how). Not to have sour grapes, but the differences in both games I witnessed was marked in terms of fitness and speed. There is clearly a growing undercurrent of anger amongst SANFL fans now.

I have been present (as an Eagles supporter) at the Crows and Port games the last two weeks. It is so clear that their (AFL reserves teams') fitness is far superior. Even though the Bulldogs beat Adelaide this weekend (can't believe how). Not to have sour grapes, but the differences in both games I witnessed was marked in terms of fitness and speed. There is clearly a growing undercurrent of anger amongst SANFL fans now.

Thats an understatement. No offence!

So it should be to!
With more injuries coming to both teams and more players going in and out makes a big difference to the port and crows every week.
Will be closer come to finals time between all teams.
But as said earlier the SANFL will make changes to keep the SANFL clubs happy and keep them feeling relevant.

So it should be to!
With more injuries coming to both teams and more players going in and out makes a big difference to the port and crows every week.
Will be closer come to finals time between all teams.
But as said earlier the SANFL will make changes to keep the SANFL clubs happy and keep them feeling relevant.

Hahahaha, you do realise its the SANFL and there for SANFL clubs who represent the SANFL. Port Power and Adelaide Crows want to play in a league that they do not have any say in how it runs as they are AFL clubs. You can see this is why they want to stay in relevant in their competition.

Hahahaha, you do realise its the SANFL and there for SANFL clubs who represent the SANFL. Port Power and Adelaide Crows want to play in a league that they do not have any say in how it runs as they are AFL clubs. You can see this is why they want to stay in relevant in their competition.

and the SANFL have done such a good job running it yer? running it into the ground.

The sooner a few higher ups get the flick and an overhaul of administration is done the better.
hopefully this way they can get their financials in order and stop the huge losses of money!
Bringing the Crows and Port into the SANFL has brought around some crowds plus brought youngsters and oldies to the footy that want to watch and hopefully that brings interest back to it also. plus the cash benefits they will see

But your right Poor sanfl and what not :s

Last edited:
None taken! I'd call up Crowey and Boner about it but I already know their "Give it time" excuse and Crows biased responses.
As the stalwart SANFL supporter that you clearly are, may I ask how you came to support the Dockers? Seems like a proud South Australian would follow one of the local AFL clubs, especially considering you follow a hybrid SANFL club with no real tradition or history, all of which was lost when you were forced merge due to being totally mediocre for just the longest time.

This attitude is what has made people following your 'plastic franchise's' say * it, let it all burn. We will tear the SANFL to pieces before ever letting you mob of backwater hicks win. Port and the Crows will pass the premiership around for the next 15 years. Not a single SANFL club will ever win it again. Personally I hope we start resting some real stars back in the Maggies, to * your s**t right up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back