What would you do if your son was drafted by the Crows?

Remove this Banner Ad

Portmanteau

Behaviourz2Outcomz
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor
Jul 15, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fox Sports FC
Just had this hypothetical pop into my head this afternoon, and thought I'd put it to the board as I'm sure they will be a range of views.

Let's say you have a son (miraculous for those of us who spend the amount of time we do on an Internet forum), who rises through the ranks of junior footy and is in a position where he is almost a certainty to be drafted. Your agent has spoken to Peter Rohde and unfortunately Port aren't interested, the combination of speed and endurance just isn't there, and they are looking for some more talent on the half back flank with their first three picks, rather than an elite KPP prospect like your offspring.

On the other hand, the Crows recruiting manager is all over your lad and is guaranteeing that they will take him with their first pick, unless there are any draft tampering issues that arise between now and the draft.

On draft day, the Crows read out your son's name at pick 3, and newly installed coach Jared Petrenko presents the fruit of your loins with the tri-colours guernsey.

How do you feel? What do you do? Do you grit your teeth and follow the Crows? Do you subtly undermine the club that has invested their time and resources in your son? Do you beg him to force a trade at the end of his first contract? Do you go to games of both clubs? Or do you sadly cut all ties with Port during his career?

Ask Brodie Smith's old man how he has handled it. He was a sponsor - corporate hospitality/ powerbroker level type sponsor of Port for years before Brodie was drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mixed emotions, certainly. I'd be grateful that he's been given an opportunity at AFL level. See how it pans out at first and if he's happy playing footy there then it's his decision to keep playing there. If he wants to move, it's also his decision. I live in Melbourne so if he was seeking a trade out of West Lakes I'd be really happy for him to come home to play footy.

Graham Cornes comes to mind now, he refused to go and watch the 2004 Grand Final, in which he had TWO sons playing in, just because of how much he hated Port.

Mixed emotions, certainly. I'd be grateful that he's been given an opportunity at AFL level. See how it pans out at first and if he's happy playing footy there then it's his decision to keep playing there. If he wants to move, it's also his decision. I live in Melbourne so if he was seeking a trade out of West Lakes I'd be really happy for him to come home to play footy.

Graham Cornes comes to mind now, he refused to go and watch the 2004 Grand Final, in which he had TWO sons playing in, just because of how much he hated Port.

829659-hall-of-fame.jpg

Yep, he wasn't there, the gutless turd...

No Graham was there. The players went to him when doing the lap, Greg Baum wrote a great article about his day in the Sunday Age and there were pictures of him in the change room after the lap of honour.

829659-hall-of-fame.jpg

Reminds me of the question Ali G asked some animal right vegetarians.........."what if you eat this chicken, or else we kill another chicken".

I would let my son enjoy the moment of being drafted by an AFL club, I would be so proud of him. I would do my best not to be an a*se like other sporting parents. I would secretly hope they invest their time and efforts into making him a first class player with the 2 year contract they have him for, secretly hoping for a cross-town trade.

I am weeks away from a second son - just no hypotheticals on "what if you had two sons......"

Jesus how can you believe such crap? Thats a victim myth if ever there was one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back