Analysis What would you have done in the 2014 Trade period?

What would you have wanted in your pocket at the end of the 2014 Trade period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
As we are getting this constantly coming up in draft / trade threads ... I thought it would be good to have a place where we could all record our preference for the 2014 trade period. (inspired by the "record your pick 14 choice" thread)

Assume that you can ignore the coach saying he wanted to be in the second round.

Trade or keep pick 10.
Trade in Cheney / Lowden or not.

Assume they are mutually exclusive decisions.

I'm backing the recruiters, so my choice would be to end up with:

14, 35, 43, 59, 86, 104, 122 + Cheney & Lowden (what we did)

I think that the combined output of these new players + the guys we draft in has the best chance of yielding the highest return.

Will be interesting to see which combination turns out to be the best in months and years to come :)

PS - If I have stuffed up the picks / combinations for any of the options, let me know.

Good thread.

I like what we did.
I wouldve liked to try and offload both Jaensch and Martin at some stage as well. Both had career best years and price would be at an all time high. I reckon we couldve cashed in here, and free'd up thier spots for the likes of Crouch Lyons and Grigg to get more game time.

I know they wouldnt have attracted a lot but Jaensch couldve turned 35 into something between 25 and 30.
Martin, 43 in a 33 - 38 type of pick.

Last edited:
Good thread.

I like what we did.
I wouldve liked to try and offload both Jaensch and Martin at some stage as well. Both had career best years and price would be at an all time high. I reckon we couldve cashed in here, and free'd up thier spots for the likes of Crouch Lyons and Grigg to get more game time.

I know they wouldnt have attracted a lot but Jaensch couldve turned 30 into something between 25 and 30.
Martin, 43 in a 33 - 38 type of pick.
I do think we underestimate how hard it is to get those middle-range players into a list ... Jaensch I thought had a great year, and although Martin will probably never make my heart sing - he did a lot of things better.

So which option in the poll would you have gone for - if you had to choose? Stick with what we got?

I do think we underestimate how hard it is to get those middle-range players into a list ... Jaensch I thought had a great year, and although Martin will probably never make my heart sing - he did a lot of things better.

So which option in the poll would you have gone for - if you had to choose? Stick with what we got?

Yes stick with what we got. I do like it.

Whilst i agree that the depth there is important for those mid range guys. I reckon we couldve covered. An Atkins Grigg Lyons or MCrouch could comein a play the roles that those guys did to a similar standard, all of which have bigger futures at the AFC than Jaensch and Martin.

I would've tried to land Cheney as a delisted free agent (I think he can be a solid contributor for us but was he really going to attract any interest elsewhere?) and picked up Lowden for a later pick swap.

The likes of Gwilt and Membrey are just as valuable as Cheney yet their new clubs were able to pick them up for nothing.

Also, traded Lyons for a pick in the 20s. I like Lyons but I thought we had a great opportunity to trade away something in which we have a surplus (inside midfielder) to get a decent pick to grab something we lack (a quick outside midfielder or tall defender).

I understand we still have some ok picks to work with but I feel we should gone harder to get a better position in this draft given our penalties of the past two seasons. By the way, how the * Essendon still has an end of first round draft pick this year I'll never know.

And no dealing with Geelong - hold onto picks 10 and 31.

I would've tried to land Cheney as a delisted free agent (I think he can be a solid contributor for us but was he really going to attract any interest elsewhere?) and picked up Lowden for a later pick swap.

But other clubs would have been interested in Cheney as a delisted free agent, I'm sure. Same with Lowden for a lower pick. Might have had a bigger battle to get them with more players in the mix.

The likes of Gwilt and Membrey are just as valuable as Cheney yet their new clubs were able to pick them up for nothing.

No thanks to both of those, I think there is a reason they were free, but I understand your reference to the Cheney situation.

Also, traded Lyons for a pick in the 20s. I like Lyons but I thought we had a great opportunity to trade away something in which we have a surplus (inside midfielder) to get a decent pick to grab something we lack (a quick outside midfielder or tall defender).

I get this reasoning, but keeping him also might free up Dangerfield to finally become the outside pace we crave.

I understand we still have some ok picks to work with but I feel we should gone harder to get a better position in this draft given our penalties of the past two seasons. By the way, how the **** Essendon still has an end of first round draft pick this year I'll never know.

Not sure what we could have done to move up? We just didn't have much to work with.

And no dealing with Geelong - hold onto picks 10 and 31.

So would you have chosen Option 1 out of the four on the poll? Do nothing? Or is option 3 closer - just trade in Cheney / Lowden?

Personally I wouldn't have done the deal with Geelong. It's a massive gamble to invest in a second round pick at the expense of your first round pick and have unnecessarily opened to the door to being forever judged by the players drafted 10-13.

We are forever judged for picking a guy at 10, to the guy picked at 13.

We are forever judged for picking a guy at 10, to the guy picked at 13.

Not as much as we're going to be if we get burnt by giving away a pick that could have secured us a decent player, via a questionable trade.

Can really go three ways;

• either pick 14 or 35 turn out okay and thus validating the trade
  • players drafted between 10-13 turn out to be spuds which will let the club escape criticism
  • a gun is selected between 10-13 and we'll forever remember by Rucci and Dwayne Russell as the club that gave away a top 10 pick via a bad trade and missed out on player x (the embarrassment would be twice as bad if it's Geelong that draft him).

Last edited:
Sorry, tried to keep it somewhere near reality ... but as a one off you can have:

Picks 68, 86, 104, 122 + Jeremy Cameron + James Aish, - one of Walker / Sloane / Dangerfield.

if you want :)

That is blasphemy to mention Walker and trade in the same sentence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not as much as we're going to be if we get burnt by giving away a pick that could have secured us a decent player, via a questionable trade.

Can really go three ways;

• either pick 14 or 35 turn out okay and thus validating the trade
  • players drafted between 10-13 turn out to be spuds which will let the club escape criticism
  • a gun is selected between 10-13 and we'll forever remember by Rucci and Dwayne Russell as the club that gave away a top 10 pick via a bad trade and missed out on player x (the embarrassment would be twice as bad if it's Geelong that draft him).
I don't see how this "embarrassment" thing works with supporters and drafts / picks?

If you mean the recruiters should be embarrassed - easy to say in hindsight - easy to say when you don't have to make the call.

If you mean that another club's supporters can rub it in - well I'd say harden up :)

1. But other clubs would have been interested in Cheney as a delisted free agent, I'm sure.

2. Not sure what we could have done to move up? We just didn't have much to work with.

3. So would you have chosen Option 1 out of the four on the poll? Do nothing? Or is option 3 closer - just trade in Cheney / Lowden?

1. Yes, but then it would have been our job to win him over; I think Walsh and Noble could have done it.

2. Move up by at least trading Lyons for a pick; and hang onto 10 and 31.

3. None of the options because I think we gave away too much trading in Cheney and Lowden when there are other (free) avenues to obtain fringe players.

Overall I'm not unhappy, I think Cheney and Lowden will be pretty valuable for us, but believe we should've been stronger at ending up with higher (and more) picks.

I'm seriously worried about our defensive tall depth too; we desperately need a mature option in the Rookie draft, as well as a youngster in the National.

I don't see how this "embarrassment" thing works with supporters and drafts / picks?

If you mean the recruiters should be embarrassed - easy to say in hindsight - easy to say when you don't have to make the call.

If you mean that another club's supporters can rub it in - well I'd say harden up :)
So is thread an opportunity for people to express their opinions, or is it more to benefit your mission of weeding out dissenters and policing any thought not consistent with the AFC?

I would have been happy to keep pick 10 and 43.

At the same time I still think they are liking at a couple of players in particular that they know will be there at 14 and know that the other player most likely won't be there by 43. We know these guys aren't idiots. They have proved they aren't. I don't know why they are being treated like idiots.

That's the way the footy world works, especially in SA.

Obviously you're not sick of hearing ad neusum from clowns like Dwayne Russell and Rucci about how the Crows took Brent Reily instead of Nick Dal Santo, McGregor instead of Pavlich, trading pick 2 for Carey, Angwin and Matthew Bode instead of Shaun Burgoyne and Kane Cornes etc.

All I am saying is that I just hope this trade doesn't turn into another albatross around the neck of the club.

Obviously you're not sick of hearing ad neusum from clowns like Dwayne Russell and Rucci about how the Crows took Brent Reily instead of Nick Dal Santo, .

I bet Reilly had a blinder year before he was drafted. Just our luck.

Pick 10 for
bean.gif

there is no doubt we made the right call trading pick 10..
Never seen a draft with so many question marks on almost every player..
Can anyone really separate Cockatoo, Lever, Durdin, Wright, Langford, Goddard?
Probably not....
But I bet the player that slips to 35 is better than the bloke who gets called at 49

I'd have done the Cheney + Lowden trade but not done the pick 10 trade.

I'd have also shipped out one of our plethora of slow inside mids (probably Lyons) for a pick in the 2nd/3rd round.

Obviously you're not sick of hearing ad neusum from clowns like Dwayne Russell and Rucci about how the Crows took Brent Reily instead of Nick Dal Santo, McGregor instead of Pavlich, trading pick 2 for Carey, Angwin and Matthew Bode instead of Shaun Burgoyne and Kane Cornes etc.

All I am saying is that I just hope this trade doesn't turn into another albatross around the neck of the club.
Ahhh the joys of living in Hobart just got another item on the list :)

Back