Movie What's the last movie you saw? (4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider

Wasn't sure I had ever seen it, so popped it on. Angelina Jolie does a great job as Lara IMO but the movie overall isn't that great, was hard to stay interested.

5/10

Ping Pong Summer - I liked it. Low budget coming of age comedy-drama about an 80s summer vacation and ping pong. Draws inspiration from movies like Adventureland, The Way Way Back and 80s stuff like Revenge of the Nerds. Very old school film making and lots of throw backs to the 80s. Acting is hit and miss but its a cool little story. 7/10.

Ping Pong Summer - I liked it. Low budget coming of age comedy-drama about an 80s summer vacation and ping pong. Draws inspiration from movies like Adventureland, The Way Way Back and 80s stuff like Revenge of the Nerds. Very old school film making and lots of throw backs to the 80s. Acting is hit and miss but its a cool little story. 7/10.

Saw this the other day.

Very strange acting, but it worked in a way.

Love these types of movies.

Primer

What a mind *. I still have no idea what was supposedly happening. This is to prospective time travelers what driver-ed car crash videos are to prospective drivers.

Plan to see it in about 2 hours.

Your final verdict?

*Edit - Fine effort from Tom Hardy to carry it on his own.
Good idea and quite special how it can keep you so involved with what it is - 1 man on a car phone for 1 & 1/2 hours…

7/10

Didnt know much about it before watching. one character in a car and multiple phone calls. sounds boring but actually was pretty good. kept me entertained for the 80mins. would have gone bonkers myself with so many phone calls though haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deliver us from Evil- this is the 2006 doco on the systematic cover up of sexual abuse of kids by catholic clergy in the 70's and 80's not the new Bana horror flick. This is probably the most rage inducing expose I have ever seen, the Catholic Church is an evil unjust bunch of old scumbags. It's sad and solemn and the genuine hurt on the faces and in the voices of the victims and their families is heartbreaking. 9/10 but expect to be really broken inside afterwards, especially if you're religious.

I was pleasantly surprised by Locke, I'm a massive Tom Hardy fan so I wasn't put off by the premise but I wasn't expecting to be so enthralled by 80 odd minutes of Hardy trying to maintain control of his life via a car phone. If it was anyone else it might not have worked imo, Tom Hardy just has such a strong presence about him that makes him such an interesting actor to watch. Also didn't realize until after viewing that it was written and directed by the guy who wrote Eastern Promises which is another quality film.

Also finally got around to watching The Deer Hunter and was just blown away by the intensity of some scenes, brilliant stuff.

I was pleasantly surprised by Locke, I'm a massive Tom Hardy fan so I wasn't put off by the premise but I wasn't expecting to be so enthralled by 80 odd minutes of Hardy trying to maintain control of his life via a car phone. If it was anyone else it might not have worked imo, Tom Hardy just has such a strong presence about him that makes him such an interesting actor to watch. Also didn't realize until after viewing that it was written and directed by the guy who wrote Eastern Promises which is another quality film.

This movie's about as much fun as watching C6 concrete dry. Not C5. C6.

What are some of the best all time classics that someone should watch? I.e deer hunter, scar face etc
Apocalypse Now
Goodfellas
First Blood
Death Wish
Dirty Harry
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Deliverance

Oldboy (Spike Lee version) - A bastardisation of one of my favourite films. Void of all the emotional drive that made the original so impactful. Perhaps the unedited 140 min film is substantially better, but until then this is just another poorly made remake. Still lukewarm on Josh Brolin in general. 4/10.

The Apartment (1960) - Almost flawless in its direction and story. The balance of melodrama, wit and sadness is special. The ending and flow of scenes is as perfect a finale as i've witnessed. Noticing more and more that it's one of the harder things to do nailing that ending. Performances of course superb 9/10

Ivan's Childhood (1962) - Tarkovsky brilliance on display in debut. Contrasting the beauty of Ivan's dreams with the bleakness of his reality. Although maybe a bit too vivid and symbolic for a conventional guy like me :p it contained some truly breathtaking scenes. The "Kiss scene" has be one of the best i've seen. 8/10

Last week;

True Grit (2010)
7/10

Rabbit Hole
7.5/10

The Nun's Story
8/10

Juno and the Paycock (1930)
4.5/10

The Royal Tenenbaums
8/10

This week;

Green Zone
5.5/10

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia
9.5/10

Lucy

Besson, you crazy French bastard!

Completely bonkers. But absolutely brilliant.

Not even sure WTF I was watching half the time.

Yet loved every minute of it.

Blood-splattered Scarlett is 100% sex bomb.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to enjoy the rest of my acid flashback...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back