Movie What's the last movie you saw? (4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's the beauty of film, that it evokes so many emotions and opinions.

the dialog wasn't oscar worthy, definitely. thought at times it was hard to understand what some of them were saying. corny yes. perhaps spoofing all the action movies the main actors have been in.

i think if you can look past the fact that when being fire upon by a nations army and coming out without a scratch, what you can see is pure crash and bash entertainment. nothing more, and couldnt be anything less
I love that about cinema too but it's not that hard to create something with dialogue that is at least somewhat intelligible than what they served up in all 3 e.g. Guardians of the Galaxy - fun, loads of action and dialogue that wasn't boring.

Expendables had a lot of promise but when you leave the writing in the hands of Stallone, you're gonna have a bad day.

Grand Budepest Hotel - At the risk of alienating myself from nearly every poster in this thread, i didnt really like it. I guess I just dont get into these grand, twee productions. It was more like a cake decoration than a film.

A few minor laughs, but meh.

5/10

wasnt sure where to put this, here a good a place as any, just saw this in twitter, watched all Tarantino's movies several times over but never picked up on this

PpghfqE.jpg

I never knew till recently that all of (or at least a lot of) Tarantino's movies take place in the same 'universe' John Travolta's character (Pulp Fiction) and Michael Madsen's (Reservoir Dogs) are brothers etc. There are links and tie ins all through the movies.

The universe theory has never been confirmed beyond Tarrantino claiming the link between Vic Vega and Mr Blonde for the purpose of a potential spin off one day. The theory makes for interesting reading but IMO I think fans are just reading too much into things really, I just don't buy into the theories on how Inglorious Basterds sets everything up and personally think the overlapping character names are just another throwback pop culture reference.

The universe theory has never been confirmed beyond Tarrantino claiming the link between Vic Vega and Mr Blonde for the purpose of a potential spin off one day. The theory makes for interesting reading but IMO I think fans are just reading too much into things really, I just don't buy into the theories on how Inglorious Basterds sets everything up and personally think the overlapping character names are just another throwback pop culture reference.

The cracked website has a whole thing about it, Donny Donowitz (Inglorious Basterds) is Lee Donowitz grandfather (True Romance) read on below http://www.cracked.com/article_19323_6-movie-tv-universes-that-overlap-in-mind-blowing-ways.html

Yeah not sure exactly how extensive it is and what's from Tarantino and what's from the fans but the two McGraw characters do appear in, and so provide a direct link between, From Dusk to Dawn, Kill Bill Vol 1 and Grindhouse (Planet Terror/ Death Proof).

But again off topic so the last movie I saw was umm.... They Live (1988) Fantastically 80s action and cheese but there's a solid sci-fi idea behind it all and Roddy Piper is surprisingly good playing the pre-Duke Nukem, Duke Nukem. It's probably better for the films message that it never happened but still it's pretty surprising that John Carpenter never did a sequel for it.

Last edited:
Blue Ruin - A man whos parents were murdered seeks revenge on their killers. Quite a normal revenge storyline but s**t this movie is insanely good. Such an intriguing start to the film with the protagonist is homeless and living in a car. It starts off with a bang and is intense from start to finish. Grips you in and doesnt really let you depart from its macabre form of reality. Its haunting, its beautiful and its at times quite realistically gory. For a low budget thriller, this is as good as it gets. This is the best movie ive seen this year to date. 9/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tarantino is one of the more reliable directors around, he never sucks. In terms of personal favouritism, I'd rank them like this;

1. Jackie Brown 10/10
2. Kill Bill Vol. 1 10/10
3. Reservoir Dogs 9.5/10
4. Pulp Fiction 9/10
5. Kill Bill Vol. 2 8.5/10
6. Django Unchained 7.5/10
7. Inglorious Basterds 7.5/10
8. Death Proof 7/10

When I was 15 I loved Pulp and Dogs, but in my 20s I found JB and KB Vol 1 to be his masterpieces.

Begin Again - well done rom com (not my thing but was keeping someone happy) - 6.5/10

The Matrix - I don't think I had seen this since I saw it on first release at the cinema - classic sci fi/action - 8.5/10.

Tarantino is one of the more reliable directors around, he never sucks. In terms of personal favouritism, I'd rank them like this;

1. Jackie Brown 10/10
2. Kill Bill Vol. 1 10/10
3. Reservoir Dogs 9.5/10
4. Pulp Fiction 9/10
5. Kill Bill Vol. 2 8.5/10
6. Django Unchained 7.5/10
7. Inglorious Basterds 7.5/10
8. Death Proof 7/10

When I was 15 I loved Pulp and Dogs, but in my 20s I found JB and KB Vol 1 to be his masterpieces.

Swap 2 and 4 & we have my list.

Pulp was my no1 for a long time but gradually JB took over, love that movie, lost count now at the number of viewings.

I love QT but as much as I tried I could just never get into the Kill Bill movies, love the rest of his stuff though and I'd have reservoir Dogs as one of my all time favourite films.

Definitely agree that Jackie Brown is underrated, True Romance is too but he didn't direct that TBF.

I love QT but as much as I tried I could just never get into the Kill Bill movies, love the rest of his stuff though and I'd have reservoir Dogs as one of my all time favourite films.
I think they are a little removed from his 90's films. I'd go:

1. Pulp Fiction 9.5/10
2. Kill Bill Vol 2. 9/10
3. Reservoir Dogs 9/10
4. Inglorious Basterds 9/10
5. Django Unchained 8/10
6. Kill Bill Vol 1. 7.5/10
7. Jackie Brown 7/10

Pulp Fiction has sentimental value but every time I watch it I'm still blown away. Kill Bill 2 was the biggest surprise, as I wasn't exactly enamoured with the first one, as much as I enjoyed it.

Once upon a time I had the same opinion on the Kill Bill films. I thought they were a rung down from his 90s efforts, and that Vol.2 was superior.

But earlier this year I rewatched Vol. 1 for the first time in 9 years, and was absolutely blown away. It's just about a perfect film, and even by Tarantino's usual standards, it's an eclectic cinematic delight. If you haven't seen it since release, or your teen years, I recommend giving it another go.

The Inbetweeners 2

I only just finished a marathon session of the TV series and the first movie a little under a month ago which I really enjoyed, and I was unaware there even was a second movie on its way until after that.

I liked the show so I liked the movie. Setting it in Australia seemed like a good idea but there's very little of Australia actually in this, they could have set this anywhere else it wouldn't have been any different. In fact, from the credits, it looked like it would have been more fun set in Vietnam or even at University in England.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back