Movie What's the last movie you saw? (4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Misson: Impossible - Rogue Nation

Absolute blast!

Fast, funny, action-packed and inventive.

The Cruiser is the last classic movie star left.

Ethan Hunt > James Bond.
Blasphemy. Hunt'd be screwed without everyone else. Bond goes solo.

Another Country

An outstanding, important film. Tells the story of a remote community set up by the Government to "help" Indigenous people despite, as Gulpilil says, the fact "how can you help us if you don't understand us?".

It highlights the vast differences in our two cultures and the struggles we've forced upon theirs. But does so in a way that isn't preachy or lecture-like.

Strongly recommended. Especially with the present climate in mind.

4.5/5

Victoria

Technically, astonishing. A 140 minute single take/shot film. I kept looking for obvious hidden cuts, like in Rope or Birdman, but saw none. An amazing production.

As a film though, kinda dull. Once it gets going it's okay, and at a point it kicks off more than the Goodes thread whenever I post there. But it takes OVER AN HOUR to kick off which is far, far too long.

3.5/5, bumped up from a 2.5 for the technical achievement.

Manny Lewis

Bah. Rom-com starring Carl Barron as sorta himself, except he's a big star. He's trying to be intense or brooding or something, but found it really hard to care about him because he's very unlikeable. It was boring, everyone has seen this story many, many times before.

1/5

Mississippi Grind

Ben Mendohlson and Ryan Reynolds in a sort of buddy dramedy. Really enjoyed it. Great performances by both, especially Mendo. Besides the obvious theme of gambling it touches on taking chances, and that sometimes how things appear aren't the way they are

3.5/5

Last edited:
Listen To Me Marlon

Most doco's ultimately tell you WHAT somebody did. This tells you about WHO Marlon Brando was in a way I've rarely seen before. Using his own audio recordings it lets you inside his head and life to an extraordinary degree.

4.5/5

Spiderman 2

Been ages since I saw this.

Too much Peter sooky-sooky, la-la.

Not enough Spidey kicking ass...

The Daughter

It tells the story of a family (Ewen Leslie, Miranda Otto, Sam Neill, and stand out Odessa Young) and a town out in the country of Australia, and what happens after a local mill shuts down that provided work to most of its families. Intertwined is the wedding of the mill owner (Geoffrey Rush) and the return of his son (Paul Schneider), a longtime friend of Ewen Leslie's Oliver. Christian (Schneider) eventually comes across something that could impact upon Oliver and his family, in particular his daughter Hedvig (Young), adding to the stress that comes with Oliver being out of a job. At the heart of all this is Hedvig, not a stereotypical "struggles growing up" type story, instead it feels a very realistic depiction of growing up in a town such as this, and the struggles that come with it. The there's Walter (Neill) and his past, Christian's struggle to keep his marriage together and Oliver trying to keep his family's morale up whilst searching for a job.

Rather than being overloaded with plot, it is fantastically written. Based on "The Wild Duck" by Henrik Ibsen, the screenplay is balanced enough to allow the strong cast to all be utilised whilst still retaining the feel that Hedvig is the heart of the picture. Whilst there's no OMG style shocking moments, it does absolutely draw you in to the world and moreso the characters. All of them are well written, and with a strong cast such as this it's no surprise they're well acted to.

Rush, Neill and Otto are as brilliant as you'd expect. But for me the two stand outs are Ewen Leslie and Odessa Young. Leslie is the patriach of his family and gives a thoroughly "genuine" performance. Not resorting to stereotypes, his Oliver is a character you can look at and truly believe in. Strong and passionate, his performance is fantastic.

Then we come to Odessa Young. I'd not seen her in anything before, but if this is anything to go by she's going to be around for a long time. She is amazing. Again, not resorting to stereotypes or overacting which can be common amongst young actors, she pulls off the feat of grounding the film around her. Which, when you consider the talent around her, says something. Essentially an ensemble film, Hedvig is the character you feel the most for. Not in a sense of sympathy, but just hope that she can continue to be the person she is at the start of the film. Odessa Young truly is the stand out of this film and is one to watch out for.

Ultimately a film always comes back to it's director, in this case also the writer, Simon Stone. For a debut feature it's sensational. Extracting the best out of his talented cast whilst still keeping them all on the same level. It's a film that really shows what talent we have in this country, and what we can do. Keeping a consistent tone that never goes too far in one direction so as to lose the audience. Brilliant written, beautifully shot, I can't wait to see his next film. He, along with Odessa Young, could very well be one to watch.

4.5/5

The Daughter

It tells the story of a family (Ewen Leslie, Miranda Otto, Sam Neill, and stand out Odessa Young) and a town out in the country of Australia, and what happens after a local mill shuts down that provided work to most of its families. Intertwined is the wedding of the mill owner (Geoffrey Rush) and the return of his son (Paul Schneider), a longtime friend of Ewen Leslie's Oliver. Christian (Schneider) eventually comes across something that could impact upon Oliver and his family, in particular his daughter Hedvig (Young), adding to the stress that comes with Oliver being out of a job. At the heart of all this is Hedvig, not a stereotypical "struggles growing up" type story, instead it feels a very realistic depiction of growing up in a town such as this, and the struggles that come with it. The there's Walter (Neill) and his past, Christian's struggle to keep his marriage together and Oliver trying to keep his family's morale up whilst searching for a job.

Rather than being overloaded with plot, it is fantastically written. Based on "The Wild Duck" by Henrik Ibsen, the screenplay is balanced enough to allow the strong cast to all be utilised whilst still retaining the feel that Hedvig is the heart of the picture. Whilst there's no OMG style shocking moments, it does absolutely draw you in to the world and moreso the characters. All of them are well written, and with a strong cast such as this it's no surprise they're well acted to.

Rush, Neill and Otto are as brilliant as you'd expect. But for me the two stand outs are Ewen Leslie and Odessa Young. Leslie is the patriach of his family and gives a thoroughly "genuine" performance. Not resorting to stereotypes, his Oliver is a character you can look at and truly believe in. Strong and passionate, his performance is fantastic.

Then we come to Odessa Young. I'd not seen her in anything before, but if this is anything to go by she's going to be around for a long time. She is amazing. Again, not resorting to stereotypes or overacting which can be common amongst young actors, she pulls off the feat of grounding the film around her. Which, when you consider the talent around her, says something. Essentially an ensemble film, Hedvig is the character you feel the most for. Not in a sense of sympathy, but just hope that she can continue to be the person she is at the start of the film. Odessa Young truly is the stand out of this film and is one to watch out for.

Ultimately a film always comes back to it's director, in this case also the writer, Simon Stone. For a debut feature it's sensational. Extracting the best out of his talented cast whilst still keeping them all on the same level. It's a film that really shows what talent we have in this country, and what we can do. Keeping a consistent tone that never goes too far in one direction so as to lose the audience. Brilliant written, beautifully shot, I can't wait to see his next film. He, along with Odessa Young, could very well be one to watch.

4.5/5
Whoops forgot, Percel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Love, Don't Cross That River

A documentary about a Korean couple that's been married for 76 years. Their life, the affection they still show for each other (including throwing leaves at each other and snowball fights) and their realisation that some time soon one will have to learn to live without the other.

Very touching, moving at times. I've never seen so many people crying after a movie. A simple, gentle story that is well worth experiencing.

4/5

Last edited:
Gayby Baby

Doco about kids in Australia growing up with RCD or dads. An important story that's told really well. Entertaining, heartwarming, and sends the message that any argument of "but what about the kids!" against marriage equality is invalid.

4/5

Snowpiercer -- this is an odd film where a suspension of disbelief is very important. It's quite well made and the performance of Chris Evans in the lead role is surprisingly good. I'd give this a solid 6/10.

Deadbeat at Dawn - Ultra, ultra low budget violent action movie. The movie features some gangs that could've come straight from The Warriors. Quite gory at times, dodgy acting, decent stunts & only 80 minutes long. All in all, a good time. 7/10

Pit and the Pendulum (1961) - Gothic horror tale with Vincent Price. Classic 9/10

From Dawn til Dusk - I liked it but it was very jarring how the movie completely changes half way though. Preferred the first half. 7/10

The Untold Story (1993) - Anyone watch Hong Kong Category III movies? (Asian equivalent to an R or X rating) This is regarded as one of the best (infamous?) Cat. III movies. A crazy mix of slapstick comedy, violence & dodgy subtitles. The movie is quite disturbing (since its allegedly based on a true story) for the most part and features some powerful scenes, which makes some of the slapstick comedy quite questionable (some would say unnecessary). Still, this movie is never boring and is a good entry point to the truly crazy world of Hong Kong Cat. III movies. 7/10

Gone Girl 5/10, good movie, picked it fairly early on though, nothing outstanding. It came across as a hybrid of The Last Seduction and Sleeping With The Enemy.

I saw the latest Mission Impossible last week and enjoyed it, 6.5 / 10.

I assume you are a grown man. You needed to confirm that seeing TMNT would be a bad decision? :)

7.6 rating on IMDB, 82% on RT
Maybe you have bad taste in films?

Maybe you just have a low threshold for rating films.

They might have well called it, 'Man on Fire II / The Equalizer.

Having said that, I really enjoyed it but to be honest, it was just Man on Fire again with a different pretext for him being a vigilante.

I've had the past 10 days off and re-watched some favourites and watched a couple for the first time.

Draft Day 8.5 / 10
Interstellar 9 / 10
Gravity 9 / 10
Sunshine 9 / 10
The Poseidon Adventure (original) 9 / 10
Lucy 3 / 10
The Natural 9 / 10
For The Love Of The Game 8 / 10
12 Angry Men (original) 10 / 10
Fail Safe 9 / 10
The Giant Claw 10 / 10
The Forbidden Planet 8 / 10
When Worlds Collide 9 / 10
Escape From L.A. 0 / 10 (what was I thinking, it hadn't gotten any better since I watched it when it was first released)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back