Movie What's the last movie you saw? (4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
SAN ANDREAS

With so many metaphors, there was simply not enough time to cram everything in. But in the end, one can say it was a mini apocalyptic flick centred around what a chasm means.

Starring the Rock, a father figure dedicated to his fire department rescue job that's tough and requires bravery. But inside he's fighting a much tougher fight, to maintain the fractured family.

One may say it's a family divided by its on fault. Cataclysmic in its dynamics, in much the same way an earthquake batters and buffers the Earth.

Split by seismic relationship crack, can the Rock REBUILD? That's the theme of he movie.

I give credit to Hollywood casting strong women. Carla Gugino, power strong defiant. Just like in Entourage as Amanda Daniels breaking, no smashing the glass ceiling. Perfect in her role as the ex wife. Playing Rock-Amanda Daniels daughter (in distress) is Alexandra Daddario. Daddarios floatation devices well presented and bountiful, and no doubt played their role in the tsunami scenes.

Anti hero Ioan Grunfield. In contrast to his heroic roles, Mr Fantastic and noble King Arthur, Grunny's character really puts the audience offside from the outset as Gugino's new partner. Rich and...what? Yep, owner of a construction company. Hmmmm, construction, san andreas, earthquake. so many permutations. Buxom daughter asks him why he doesnt have any kids....he shows her a pic of a building and says "i do".
His demise was good as crushed by symbol of his capitalism ways - a shipping container.

If they ever do a CENTURIONS movie, Rock is truly the man needed to be cast. Superior in the air, rolls on the ground and adapt in water. he displayed his utility like skills well. Air earth water!!! POWER EXTREME!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=44&v=keNpZG4xxgA

Each time an option expired he turned to the new element. When the world conspired to take away his flight modes, he hit the ground. Mother nature said NO! Time to get wet! And yes, each time faced with no options, suddenly one appeared.

(0.16 golden state bridge......eerie)

Against seemingly unbeatable odds, father/mother sought to find their daughter. HAving lost their other daughter, there was no stopping them this time was there? And symbolism of past tragedies real hit home. Power of true love powered the group through adversity even when all seem lost.

Some pommy brothers added some texture to the film, as they provided assistance at times to Rocks daughter. And yes thus forming a love interest *sigh*

Product placement rating 10/10. Opening scene iPhone precariously placed. As I watched this on the plane, it was funny and apt that the moment of parachuting into A.T&T stadium was interrupted by turbulence and the movie froze as rock was front and centre of the stadium scoreboard. Scoreboard complete with sponsor names and logos.

And what disaster movie is complete without a looting scene?

The ending came eventually, thank god. The closing scene rolled along and I thought, really? REALLY? And just as uplifting music played I thought it wasn't gonna happen... But it did.

american-flag-o.gif

Rock - Now, we rebuild

SAN ANDREAS

With so many metaphors, there was simply not enough time to cram everything in. But in the end, one can say it was a mini apocalyptic flick centred around what a chasm means.

Starring the Rock, a father figure dedicated to his fire department rescue job that's tough and requires bravery. But inside he's fighting a much tougher fight, to maintain the fractured family.

One may say it's a family divided by its on fault. Cataclysmic in its dynamics, in much the same way an earthquake batters and buffers the Earth.

Split by seismic relationship crack, can the Rock REBUILD? That's the theme of he movie.

I give credit to Hollywood casting strong women. Carla Gugino, power strong defiant. Just like in Entourage as Amanda Daniels breaking, no smashing the glass ceiling. Perfect in her role as the ex wife. Playing Rock-Amanda Daniels daughter (in distress) is Alexandra Daddario. Daddarios floatation devices well presented and bountiful, and no doubt played their role in the tsunami scenes.

Anti hero Ioan Grunfield. In contrast to his heroic roles, Mr Fantastic and noble King Arthur, Grunny's character really puts the audience offside from the outset as Gugino's new partner. Rich and...what? Yep, owner of a construction company. Hmmmm, construction, san andreas, earthquake. so many permutations. Buxom daughter asks him why he doesnt have any kids....he shows her a pic of a building and says "i do".
His demise was good as crushed by symbol of his capitalism ways - a shipping container.

If they ever do a CENTURIONS movie, Rock is truly the man needed to be cast. Superior in the air, rolls on the ground and adapt in water. he displayed his utility like skills well. Air earth water!!! POWER EXTREME!!

Each time an option expired he turned to the new element. When the world conspired to take away his flight modes, he hit the ground. Mother nature said NO! Time to get wet! And yes, each time faced with no options, suddenly one appeared.

Against seemingly unbeatable odds, father/mother sought to find their daughter. HAving lost their other daughter, there was no stopping them this time was there? And symbolism of past tragedies real hit home. Power of true love powered the group through adversity even when all seem lost.

Some pommy brothers added some texture to the film, as they provided assistance at times to Rocks daughter. And yes thus forming a love interest *sigh*

Product placement rating 10/10. Opening scene iPhone precariously placed. As I watched this on the plane, it was funny and apt that the moment of parachuting into A.T&T stadium was interrupted by turbulence and the movie froze as rock was front and centre of the stadium scoreboard. Scoreboard complete with sponsor names and logos.

The ending came eventually, thank god. The closing scene rolled along and I thought, really? REALLY? And just as uplifting music played I thought it wasn't gonna happen... But it did.

american-flag-o.gif

Rock - Now, we rebuild

How dare you speak ill of The Rock.

Saw the trailer for the first time today and thought it looked great. That's a rave review. What does a movie need to do to get 5-stars from you?

The only reason why it does not get a 5 from me, because essentially the plot is very basic. It's been elevated by incredible cinematography, score, & acting.

SAN ANDREAS

american-flag-o.gif

Rock - Now, we rebuild

Tldr

Straight Outta Compton

Pretty perfect movie. Thought it captured the essence of the time and of NWA quite well. Everyone puts in a great acting performance, the music is great, the pacing is sublime in a way that it is able to tell such a fast paced story without dumbing it down for you but still making it quite obvious.

The negatives would be that some aspects were a bit hazy, like who is this, or what's happening here, the ending was far too abrupt but this also goes to show how good this film is. After 3 hours in, I genuinely thought we were 2 hours in and was begging for the movie not to end. Obviously, some parts of the story weren't told.

9/10

Everest

Crap movie. Crap, crap, crap. Don't even bother with this. I like how it spent more time on the boring parts of climbing Everest, rather than the actual climbing itself. People give LOTR flak for being a movie just about walking to a ******* volcano, but Everest should take a leaf out of that book to at least get some semblance on how to make climbing interesting.

Characters were half baked, loose ends all over the floor, some s**t doesn't even make sense. At least Jake Gyllenhaal and the guy who played the main character knocked it out of the park.

But yeah, crap movie.

4/10

Adaptation

Lost for words. An incredibly original movie, that makes you think and question life and the way we live it. Absolutely loved it, and definitely going down as one of my favourites. I love how meta it is.

The directing is a bit hit and miss at times, and the ending really sucked arse, although you can see what they were going for, but to me it was out of character for the movie.

9/10

Entourage

If you liked the later seasons of the TV series then you'll like this. If you didn't, then you won't (but then I'd wonder why you'd bother to see it). Pretty simple really.

How's about the main antagonist being the kid from the Sixth Sense!

8/10

Straight Outta Compton

Pretty perfect movie. Thought it captured the essence of the time and of NWA quite well. Everyone puts in a great acting performance, the music is great, the pacing is sublime in a way that it is able to tell such a fast paced story without dumbing it down for you but still making it quite obvious.

The negatives would be that some aspects were a bit hazy, like who is this, or what's happening here, the ending was far too abrupt but this also goes to show how good this film is. After 3 hours in, I genuinely thought we were 2 hours in and was begging for the movie not to end. Obviously, some parts of the story weren't told.

9/10

Everest

Crap movie. Crap, crap, crap. Don't even bother with this. I like how it spent more time on the boring parts of climbing Everest, rather than the actual climbing itself. People give LOTR flak for being a movie just about walking to a ******* volcano, but Everest should take a leaf out of that book to at least get some semblance on how to make climbing interesting.

Characters were half baked, loose ends all over the floor, some s**t doesn't even make sense. At least Jake Gyllenhaal and the guy who played the main character knocked it out of the park.

But yeah, crap movie.

4/10

Adaptation

Lost for words. An incredibly original movie, that makes you think and question life and the way we live it. Absolutely loved it, and definitely going down as one of my favourites. I love how meta it is.

The directing is a bit hit and miss at times, and the ending really sucked arse, although you can see what they were going for, but to me it was out of character for the movie.

9/10
Yeah Adaptation's great.

I saw PIXELS with the kids. Hmm, really is a load of rubbish BUT I was very impressed with the special effects in this one. Oh and Lady Lisa too:hearts:;)

4.5/10

Lost River

A lot of evocative imagery. Kinda unforgettable. Great cast (Saoirse Ronan :hearts:)

Not sure what he was going for but I like what Gosling was referring to. I am sure if he keeps directing he'll eventually carve out a style of his own.

I think that's the first bad review I've heard. People have been saying good things about it.

Yeah it probably wasn't that bad I just loathe hip hop and have no background knowledge of what the movie is about. My nephew loved it though.

Macbeth with Fassbender and Marion Cottilard.

Jayze. What a take on already stunning source material.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I Am Evel Knievel - really cool documentary about the worlds greatest ever daredevil. Forget these modern day "Crusty Demons of Dirt" with their specially designed jumping bikes and endless practice runs, ppfftt...

This guy had balls of iron the size of Jupiter using your everyday road bike to launch over obscure things like multiple London double decker busses in one go...

"A man on a piece of steel with two wheels and an engine... ...lets get it on..." :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Everyone should see this... 8/10

Last edited:
Vacation (2015)

It was putrid. Close to the worst movie I have seen this year and would only give it a 3 out of 10.

Sorry Mike Helms but it's time you created a new character as you play the same one every time. In the 1 hour 31 minutes, I think I had 2 real LOL moments and they lasted for about 30 seconds each.

Terrible movie.

Been watching a fair bit lately:

Everest - thrill ride, very enjoyable and realistic. 7.5/10
Cabin in the Woods - there's just something about this movie that makes it so enjoyable. 8/10
Entourage - felt like a longer episode, which is a good thing. 7/10
Prometheus - had to see what the fuss was all about it, I enjoyed it. Visually amazing. 7/10

All This Mayhem - doco about the Pappas brothers from Melbourne who became #1 & #2 in the world at the same time in professional skateboarding. Tragic story. 7/10

The Visit. I wasn't expecting much since Shyamalan's last few films have been a pile of steaming crap but I actually really enjoyed this though the twist wasn't really that surprising.

The Visit. I wasn't expecting much since Shyamalan's last few films have been a pile of steaming crap but I actually really enjoyed this though the twist wasn't really that surprising.

I will be honest, it took me a little while to fully comprehend and work out the twist, but after arriving home from the cinema and doing a little reflection, I think I got it and I think it's genius.

Shyamalan made a decent movie. I mean who saw that coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back