Movie What's the last movie you saw? (4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dazed and Confused - A very nostaglic movie, bringing back memories of high school. Was interesting to see some current big time actors when they were heaps younger. I thought I would like this movie a lot more so it's a disappointing 7/10 for me.
You should try and see Over the Edge. Similar sort of genre less slacker more rebel.

2001: A Space Odyssey

Just finished watching it for the first time, did not get it at all. Not trying to be pretentious but I consider myself pretty smart but that movie made literally no sense. Watching apes hit things for the first half an hour and an acid trip for the last half hour is not my idea of entertainment. Maybe I just need to watch it with someone who gets it...

plenty of info online to get a better understanding like http://www.kubrick2001.com/ - Originally I did better with 2001 than I did with Donny Darko, literally had nfi what that was about until the web enlightened me;)

Last edited:

I've seen The Martian and Bridge of Spies in the last fortnight and I have to say I was underwhelmed with both. I felt they both lacked suspense.

Ransom (1996) - "Give me back my son!" Mel despite being a crazy is a great talent. Get's to harness the craziness here. Him and Gary Sinise play off each other extremely well. Crappy ending but very good thriller nevertheless. 7.5/10

Dogtooth - Holy moly! Talk about stuffed up. About 3 teenagers living in isolation under their over-protective (putting it kindly) parents who can't leave the house till their 'dogtooth' falls out. Very disturbing but also contains some of the blackest humour I've ever seen. Definitely not for everyone. 8/10

Spectre

Hot chick - check
Hot car - check
Tough henchman - check
Martini - check
"Bond, James Bond" - check
Ridiculously elaborate plan to kill Bond by bad guy - check.

I guess I could have added spoiler tags there, but cmonnn, this movie felt like it had to go thru the same old Bond formula like it was ticking them off a checklist.

It was entertaining enough, some great action but nothing that elevated it above other bond movies. I got what I expected and my money's worth. 7/10

I've seen The Martian and Bridge of Spies in the last fortnight and I have to say I was underwhelmed with both. I felt they both lacked suspense.
Yeah. People are talking about Bridge of Spies being an Oscar contender and I'm just...really?

Knight of Cups

I wonder if Terrence Malick has all his actors come in after filming and record their dialogue in a whisper or if he uses some modulating technology to filter their voices at his own discretion?

Yeah. People are talking about Bridge of Spies being an Oscar contender and I'm just...really?
Yeah given the topic I was expecting a suspense thriller, It was a little tame for my liking had a Disney feel to it. I don't know when the release date is for The Revenant but that trailer has Oscar written all over it.

Knight of Cups

I wonder if Terrence Malick has all his actors come in after filming and record their dialogue in a whisper or if he uses some modulating technology to filter their voices at his own discretion?
Not sure if this means it's a good thing or a bad thing :D

Didn't realise it was out either. I've heard it's a bit like To The Wonder.....which isn't a good thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Insidious - What started ok went down hill fast. 5/10
Yeah I don't get the love for Insidious though I gave the sequel a go to see if it improved the story but it was just more of the same and the ending was pretty much a carbon copy of the first.
Not gonna bother with the 3rd installment.

Ant-Man - snoozed off about a third of the way through. These light hearted romps just aren't my thing anymore. The missus liked it though and she gave it "awww, about 7/10"...

Not sure if this means it's a good thing or a bad thing :D

Didn't realise it was out either. I've heard it's a bit like To The Wonder.....which isn't a good thing.

It is a lot like To the Wonder (except replace rural Oklahoma with LA), which is a good thing by me, I liked both movies but they're definitely testing.

Crystal Fairy and the Magical Cactus - Interesting character driven drama/comedy about a group of people taking San Pedro in Chile. Like a lot of people probably have, I've come across a few Pollos and Crystal Fairys, Cera and Hoffman play their roles to absolute perfection. Exact polar opposites to each other. Loved that it was set in Chile as it reminded me of my travels there. Chilenos are some of the nicest people in the world. A very poignant scene at the end was somewhat ruined by what followed imo. 7/10

Lobster: Colin Farrell is sent to a hotel to find love in 45 days or be turned into a lobster. Although i was thinking, wtf is going on for the majority of the movie it was still a great film. Heaps of laughs, and a whole range of laughs, from awkward humour, dark humour to straight out humour.
Looks at romance through a dystopic device thats throws up a lot of questions and gets you wondering.

Still trying to figure out if I understand the message let alone agree with it.

Couple of brutal scenes

3.5/5

Yeah I don't get the love for Insidious though I gave the sequel a go to see if it improved the story but it was just more of the same and the ending was pretty much a carbon copy of the first.
Not gonna bother with the 3rd installment.

Sinister shits all over Insidious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back