Movie What's the last movie you saw? (4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lobster - Away from the Hotel it kind of lost me. Neat little film will appeal to people who appreciate that sort oddity and awkwardness. Not the biggest fan of it but can appreciate the creativity. 6/10

INCEPTION

Promised myself i'd give it a few years to watch this for the 2nd time and i'm glad i did.
The word " BRILLIANT " is possibly the most overused word when rating movies but this flick truly is.

Once the
Fischer " heist "
begins , it just goes to a whole other level ( quite a few levels actually lol )

10/10

come at me.

99 Homes

Michael Shannon is a beast.
Saw this a few days ago but forgot to post about it.

Shannon and Garfield are both great as you'd expect. Few people do intense like Shannon. You'll never see an e-cigarette look cooler.

However the screenplay fell away a bit towards the end. Shannon and Garfield prop it up though.

3.5/5

INCEPTION

Promised myself i'd give it a few years to watch this for the 2nd time and i'm glad i did.
The word " BRILLIANT " is possibly the most overused word when rating movies but this flick truly is.

Once the
Fischer " heist "
begins , it just goes to a whole other level ( quite a few levels actually lol )

10/10

come at me.
no doubt you'll have the main theme in your head for the next month great score!

no doubt you'll have the main theme in your head for the next month great score!

Watched LONE SURVIVOR ( with it's " brilliant " soundtrack ) the day before so didn't really listen this time.
I do remember that it's " brilliant " though lol

Last edited:
The Bourne Identity

For some reason, I thought I had never watched this movie, and I remember as it was coming out, a lot of people really liked it so I've always been keen to see it.

Except, I'm fairly sure I've seen it, as after every scene that happened, I would go "oh yeah, I remember that", but then not recall what happens afterwards...

Anyway, I actually quite liked the film. Damon does a great job playing as a shy, awkward, humble yet badass character. For some reason, I thought there would be some huge twist in the end, which is why I was keen to check it out.

7/10

Child 44 - too much going on leads to a total confusion of about 5 sub plots trying to blend into 1 and made the whole thing really uncomfortable to watch. Gary Oldman was wasted in his tiny role. That and the bad Russian mumbling had me heading for the door about halfway through. Good wardrobe design though. 3/10

Creed

Screenplay's a bit weird. Starts off sluggish and *really* predictable and you worry it'll be like this all the way through. But once Stallone enters it really picks up, and even though there's a couple of cliches (obviously) they're done well enough that they're still meaningful.

Michael B Jordan continues his rise toward stardom. He's really solid. Both acting wise and body wise. Guy is BUILT. Also him sharing a scene with Avon Barksdale has my inner Wire nerd overjoyed.

Stallone's damn good. He could just phone it in but he really goes for it. You feel the rut Rocky's in, his cautious excitement when Donny enters the scene, his acceptance of the fates and his desire to help Donny as a way of thanking Apollo. He's really great.

Overall it's a really solid film. I've only seen Rocky 1 so I can't say where it stands in the series. But it's well worth a watch.

4/5

Edit: OH. The fights. They're ******* great. Brutal. Exciting. If boxing was this exciting in real life I'd probably watch. They're a definite highlight. An entire fight is shot in a single take. That's an absurd achievement.

Creed

Stallone's damn good. He could just phone it in but he really goes for it.

Did you catch Sly on Colbert? Great genuine interview and from that interview you could tell he'd never phone anything in when it comes to Rocky.

Curious to catch Creed given all the buzz around it and after working at UFC 193.

Do check out Rocky IV though. Nothing more 80's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As overrated as single takes are starting to become, that second fight scene in Creed justifies the entire technique. Wow.
Yeah, I wasn't especially impressed with the "single take" opening to Spectre because the moment it went green screen was painfully obvious. But when it's all real, like in Creed, it's damn impressive.

Creed is all kinds of amazing, the feels!!!
Easily movie of the year for me, but then I have not seen many movies from "2015" - it was certainly a much more enjoyable experience than Age of Ultron was (dog's breakfast of a movie !!).

I also love Rocky V, yes it had a touch of ehh about it... but that's more to do with 5th movie-itis. I thought it did well in bringing Rocky back to his roots (VI did it in a better way though lol).

My rankings can change but overall I would say:

IV
I
VI/Balboa
II
V
III

II V III are interchangeable, I actually don't really like III that much despite it giving us eye of the tiger, Thunderlips and Mr T (and the fact it leads to the best film in the franchise being IV)

Last edited:
Saw a review of it this morning and the guy said it was really good. Gave it 8/10 and even mentioned it may get a couple of Oscar nominations. He said you have to give Stallone credit as this franchise is now almost Bond-esque and has spanned 4 decades.
Oscar noms could be going a bit far. But that said this seems a weak year. Saw The Martian talked up as a genuine Best Picture contender. It was good but not *that* good. And Bridge of Spies? Get stuffed. It was bog ordinary.

I've only ever seen rocky 5 I think but have heard real good things about this.

It's worth checking out 1, it's a classic. IV was on tv the other day, I had it on in the background while doing other things & it seemed to hold up ok, as for the rest I really cant remember too much about them other than that they were ok but paled in comparison to 1 except for Rocky Balboa which was a steaming pile of dog turds & an embarrassment to the franchise.

So it's good to hear Creed is getting good reviews & returning some credibility.

Saw Creed last night.

Was the best film I've seen this year. Amazing film. I was captivated from the very start, with the movie holding my attention all the way through. Great acting, great editing, and some amazing cinematography. One of the early fights in the film is one continuous unbroken shot that follows Adonis from the locker room, to the ring, and through the fight itself which lasts for two rounds. The camera is placed, essentially behind Creed given the viewer the impression that it is over his shoulder. There is not one break in the shot for around 5 minutes. It's is breathtaking moviemaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back