Movie What's the last movie you saw? (4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sketi

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2011
depreston
AFL Club
Sydney
Plowed through a few over the last few days;

Steve Jobs: While nothing amazing still a very enjoyable drama, sharp dialogue as expected with screenplay by Aaron Sorkin (Social Network). Really solid performance from Fassbender 7/10

There Will Be Blood (2007): Had to give it a re-watch as I loved it the first time, still love it. Daniel Day Lewis is insane. Such a satisfying final scene 8.5/10

Speed (1994): Love revisiting cheesy 90's action from when I was a kid, Keanu Reeves really is one of the worst actors of our time. Ridiculous, action packed fun 6/10

Star Wars: The Force Awakens: I'm not a Star Wars expert, so can't really remember the plot points that everyone is saying they re-hashed. Just found it good old fashioned high-level entertainment 7.5/10

Gonna go back and do Empire Strikes Back now :)

Last edited:
Steve Jobs

Very disappointing. Fassbender is great. Winstlet is amazing. Rogen's great. Daniels is great. But the screenplay is just terrible. People say things way too fast without ever needing to think what to say and it happens for the entire film. Everyone has just the right retort. And even though I know it's not a doco, there were things in there so obviously complete fiction that it throws you out of the reality of the story. And I say that as someone who knows very little about the history of Steve Jobs and Apple. It was just obviously fake.

Ultimately a poor screenplay carried by some great performances and strong direction.

3.5/5

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Steve Jobs

Very disappointing. Fassbender is great. Winstlet is amazing. Rogen's great. Daniels is great. But the screenplay is just terrible. People say things way too fast without ever needing to think what to say and it happens for the entire film. Everyone has just the right retort. And even though I know it's not a doco, there were things in there so obviously complete fiction that it throws you out of the reality of the story. And I say that as someone who knows very little about the history of Steve Jobs and Apple. It was just obviously fake.

Ultimately a poor screenplay carried by some great performances and strong direction.

3.5/5

This is what put me off The Newsroom after a few episodes & why I probably wont watch this movie until I am at a loose end. Sorkin has obvious talent but the rapid fire, overly clever stuff gets tiring, people just dont speak that way, not any I've ever met anyway. I really enjoyed The Social Network but I think that was just about my fill of Sorkin's style.

Draft Day

With Costner and Garner, 2014. So b grade this. Stupid plot points like his mum turning up and harassing him on the one day an NFL list manager needs no harassment. The one day! Then when she stops there's this hilarious moment where she's standing far away tiny in the background on the field just staring up at him like a psycho to his office window. Incredible. They just shouldn't have bothered with the non-football plot lines.

4/10

Obviously you'd only watch this if you like NFL or Fantasy sport and its saving grace is that the trade negotiations/football side of things was pretty cool at times.

Draft Day

With Costner and Garner, 2014. So b grade this. Stupid plot points like his mum turning up and harassing him on the one day an NFL list manager needs no harassment. The one day! Then when she stops there's this hilarious moment where she's standing far away tiny in the background on the field just staring up at him like a psycho to his office window. Incredible. They just shouldn't have bothered with the non-football plot lines.

4/10

Obviously you'd only watch this if you like NFL or Fantasy sport and its saving grace is that the trade negotiations/football side of things was pretty cool at times.
I can't agree with any of this.

My wife and I watched this last night. She is neither a fan of NFL or Fantasy Sport and she thoroughly enjoyed it. It's the second time I had watched it in three days, that's how much I enjoyed it. Non-football plot line is absolutely fine.

My mate recommended the movie to me, and he mentioned both he and his wife enjoyed it too. His wife also does not like NFL or Fantasy Sport.

Great movie.

8.5/10.

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
Not bad but the thin red line is pretty untouchable

Sean Penn
Adrien Brody
Jim Caviezel
Ben Chaplin
George Clooney
John Cusack
Woody Harrelson
Elias Koteas
Nick Nolte
John C. Reilly
John Travolta
Jared Leto
Miranda Otto
Thomas Jane

Not to mention Bill Pullman, Lukas Haas, and Mickey Rourke were all in the original filming but ended up on the cutting room floor.

Everyone worth their salt wanted in on a Terence Malick film. Leo, Ed Norton, Johnny Depp, Philip Seymour Hoffman, De niro, and a bunch of others all got the chop
Check out a Bridge Too Far as well:
Hackman
Caan
Caine
Connery
Hopkins
Redford
Oliver
Bogarde
And a number of other significant actors in the 70s.

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast

My wife and I watched this last night. She is neither a fan of NFL or Fantasy Sport and she thoroughly enjoyed it. It's the second time I had watched it in three days, that's how much I enjoyed it. Non-football plot line is absolutely fine.

My mate recommended the movie to me, and he mentioned both he and his wife enjoyed it too. His wife also does not like NFL or Fantasy Sport.

Great movie.

8.5/10.
Exactly my thoughts.
Though I would've preferred more emphasis on the football side of things.

This is what put me off The Newsroom after a few episodes & why I probably wont watch this movie until I am at a loose end. Sorkin has obvious talent but the rapid fire, overly clever stuff gets tiring, people just dont speak that way, not any I've ever met anyway. I really enjoyed The Social Network but I think that was just about my fill of Sorkin's style.

The " 1 more line that's ever necessary " thing , agree it get's tiring.

Legend - Not a great flick, but certainly an enjoyable one given Tom Hardy's brilliance - 7.5/10.

& watching this so soon after enduring Depp's unconvincing performance in Black Mass really highlighted the gulf between the two actors, Hardy is just on a different level.

I'd give them both nominations , Hardy the better of the 2 for sure but Depp was hardcore too.

Great movie.

8.5/10.
Fair enough. My wife was chuckling with me at its crappiness for the part she watched. It was all clunky B grade imo, EXCEPT the negotiations which were cool, as far fetched as they were.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Steve Jobs

3.5/5

I don't even know why Hollywood needed to make another Steve Jobs film when the Ashton Kutcher one was great.

Last edited:

Sketi

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2011
depreston
AFL Club
Sydney
I know what you mean about Sorkin, I enjoy him and liked Social Network and Steve Jobs but can only do him in small doses. I can't do much of the Newsroom because each episode feels like a movie and it gets exhausting.

Magnolia

Great set of characters, great cast, great performances (particularly Cruise and Walters). I don't know if it's been measured but I'm confident each shot is slightly longer than the previous one to create this effect that things are getting slower. The first two hours feel like the longest montage I've ever seen, it starts off in a flurry before eventually calming down (coinciding with Robards' monologue) before building back up to that ending. Watching this is like watching PT Anderson mature before your eyes, because as good as this and Boogie Nights are, everything since is one another plane.

Goodfellas - Man i feel like one of those cheerleaders from "Bring it ON" the way I remember this movie word-for-word. It's like a fine wine - 9/10

djrossie16

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
The Revenant: A wonderful cinematic experience. As a fan of Westerns from when I was a boy this one didn't take too long for me to get into. The longer it went the more interesting it became with great memorable performances from Leo and Hardy. Just about every aspect of this film was impressive to me and it's one of the best experiences i've had in the cinema in the last few years right alongside films like Whiplash, The Lunchbox, Ida and Interstellar. I really didn't like Birdman so going into it I was a bit wary (which i shouldn't have been given the complete different subject matter) but it just kept delivering for me. While watching it was thinking about two films Once were Warriors and Aguirre the Wrath of God where I identified similar traits. Aside from the plot and setting similarities something to do with the vastness of the terrain and the unforgiving nature of the whole thing. Glad I saw this at the movies. 9/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back