Movie What's the last movie you saw? (4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hateful eight - I like a lot of QT's work, even though I'm not a massive fan of pulp fiction, but I'm still not at all sure whether I actually enjoyed his latest or not. Slow pacing gives the appearance of being methodical, but three hours for the end result really seemed a stretch -- I get the feeling if he had made this earlier in his career before he was the "Tarantino" he would've pushed the story along a lot quicker. Having said that, there's a lot worth remembering with Jackson's performance and Kurt Russell's moustache being most note-worthy.

3/5.

Knock knock. Not sure what to make of this movie. Not a great movie by any means but quite thought provoking and I felt very angry at times while watching.

Legend. Hardy was great but the pace was too slow, it was too long, and some parts even a little boring. The Krays were regularly violent IRL however the film didn't focus on the violence as much as I though it would. Instead it focused a lot more on relationships. So a fairly average movie for me, forgettable, saved only by Hardy's acting.

Legend. Hardy was great but the pace was too slow, it was too long, and some parts even a little boring. The Krays were regularly violent IRL however the film didn't focus on the violence as much as I though it would. Instead it focused a lot more on relationships. So a fairly average movie for me, forgettable, saved only by Hardy's acting.
Felt very much the same way. Hardy is pretty dynamic at the moment.

Spotlight - :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

What an emotional drain this movie is. I guess being a newly (less than 2 years) parent makes this movie just all that more emotional for me. Great acting all around and I think if I had to pick a stand out from all the cast it'd be Mark Ruffalo, very underrated actor.

Bone Tomahawk - I want my two hours back. Dusappointing and crude movie for such a star studded one.

Watched a few on a flight recently...

Unfortunately it was Jetstar so the selection wasn't the best.

Black Mass - thought it wasn't too bad. Actually thought Depp was ok. Edgerton pretty good as well as usual. 7/10

The Intern - Watched this with the missus. It was about what you'd expect, pretty cheesy but I've definitely seen worse. 6/10

Then I made her watch Back to the Future as she'd never seen it before. 9/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seven psychopaths.

A slightly smug meta film about a drunken Irish playwright in Hollywood trying to write a movie.
Colin Farrell is not brilliant but ok, but Sam Rockwell nails it and some of his dialogue is hilarious. Chris Walken is Chris Walken and very funny at times.

A pretty good dark comedy. Would watch again.
7.5/10

Truer words have not been said.

Beasts of No Nation - Incredible. Visually striking with severe emotional punches. Fukunaga has yet to make even just a good film, they've all been thoroughly absorbing experiences. Elba's been getting a lot of the accolades, but in the same way Quvenzhane Wallis was nominated for an Oscar, so too would I have given one to Abraham Attah (and special shoutout to Strika). The kid nailed every reaction, with gravitas that wasn't forced. Scene after scene, and made to do some incredibly difficult things. A very special film 9/10.

To Live (1994) - Chinese film following a family's fortune through the years from the 1940s through to the great leap forward and cultural revolution under communist leadership. The performance of star actress Gong Li is brilliant. Very moving. 9/10

Last edited:
Spent a week away for work so managed to go to the movies a few times while stuck in this two-horse town (Canberra).

Carol - Superb. Cate Blanchett is, surprise, really excellent. I really liked this movie - the Brief Encounter style opening scene, the beautiful music and cinematography, the wonderful look and feel of the movie. In some ways I think it's not quite the sum of its parts, but I was still very much a fan.

Spotlight - This hit hard. Excellent film about the importance of a strong, working investigative media. The cast was all top notch across the board. Having watched it reasonably soon after The Big Short, I was left feeling particularly angry about the world. Important story, told well.

Room - This one carried a big emotional punch, and I cried a few times throughout it. I've long been a Brie Larson fan and I'm glad to see she's finally getting the recognition she deserves (and she was particularly fantastic in this). Such a wonderful film. Of all the movies on this list, I was probably least excited for this one, but it delivered well beyond my expectations.

Anomalisa - It's been too long between films for Charlie Kaufmann, but it was worth the wait. I watched it last night and am still thinking on it today. While a quite depressing movie, it had a good sense of humour and was very thought-provoking, and the animation was wonderful.

I probably sound very easily pleased, but I think I lucked out on getting four pretty good films in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back