Movie What's the last movie you saw? (4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
CHARLIE WILSONS WAR

Worth it for this scene.

6/10 ( Hanks brilliant......never said that before lol )

DISTRICT 9

*en love it.
Errrrrrrr , it's been longer then " 3 years " Christopher.............awkward........
9/10

VERONICA GUERIN

Tragic , man that John Gilligan was a kent

6/10

Brooklyn

I loved the * out of this movie. It's the immigrant story with a young adult rather than a child/family and it's told so well. It's entertaining, hilarious and moving all at once. It's a movie that makes you feel things, and in an age of franchises that's something that's becoming rarer.

Ellis is a young woman in Ireland who's sister helps her get money to move to America and also a job and a place to live. Her sister wants a better life for Ellis, so off she goes. What follows is a story of adjustment, homesickness and growth but it's not done in an over the top/stereotyped way at all. It all feels very real. A lot of that is down to Saoirse Ronan. She's absolutely fantastic. Fully deserving of her Oscar nom. I'd have her second behind Brie Larson at present (haven't seen 45 Years).

The supporting cast are equally brilliant. Emory Cohen bears more than a passing resemblance to a young Marlon Brando and is great. Jim Broadbent is Jim Broadbent. Jessica Pare (Megan from Mad Men) is very good. But Julie Walters probably steals the show. The scenes with her in the boarding house around the dinner table are hysterical.

All in all, a really great film. It's right on the edge of 4.5 but something's holding me back. Maybe the fact the immigrant story isn't groundbreaking, but maybe that's not fair. Who knows.

Go see this movie.

4/5

Last edited:

Brooklyn

I loved the **** out of this movie. It's the immigrant story with a young adult rather than a child/family and it's told so well. It's entertaining, hilarious and moving all at once. It's a movie that makes you feel things, and in an age of franchises that's something that's becoming rarer.

Ellis is a young woman in Ireland who's sister helps her get money to move to America and also a job and a place to live. Her sister wants a better life for Ellis, so off she goes. What follows is a story of adjustment, homesickness and growth but it's not done in an over the top/stereotyped way at all. It all feels very real. A lot of that is down to Saoirse Ronan. She's absolutely fantastic. Fully deserving of her Oscar nom. I'd have her second behind Brie Larson at present (haven't seen 45 Years).

The supporting cast are equally brilliant. Emory Cohen bears more than a passing resemblance to a young Marlon Brando and is great. Jim Broadbent is Jim Broadbent. Jessica Pare (Megan from Mad Men) is very good. But Julia Walters probably steals the show. The scenes with her in the boarding house around the dinner table are hysterical.

All in all, a really great film. It's right on the edge of 4.5 but something's holding me back. Maybe the fact the immigrant story isn't groundbreaking, but maybe that's not fair. Who knows.

Go see this movie.

4/5
Sums it up perfectly mate! I'd marry Ronan in a heartbeat too. She's gorgeous.

Spotlight: I thought the screenplay and direction of the film was pretty brilliant. For me no scene felt wasted or excessive and even each journalist's subplot and personal story is relevant and interesting. There were some excellent performances. The two actors who really impressed me were Liev Schrieber and Stanley Tucci. I didn't even recognize that it was Tucci until checking the credits. He is a fine actor. I felt they could have had a better ending scene but overall a fine film. 8/10

Watched Dirty Grandpa - not bad and worth a laugh - don't expect a strong storyline, must just a horny grandpa bringing his conservative son along. De niro is pretty funny and likeable much like the Intern. Worth a Watch 6.5/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Martyrs

Watched a couple of times now and it still gripped me as hard as the first time.
We'll now have a US remake. You can put a bomb next to that one now.

God I hope not. French version is perfect. What a film.

Room - saw this on the plane home last night. Agree with the views of others here who have already seen it. Challenging to watch at times -particularly if you have a young child yourself but worth it. Very good 8.5/10.

Last edited:
Watched Dirty Grandpa - not bad and worth a laugh - don't expect a strong storyline, must just a horny grandpa bringing his conservative son along. De niro is pretty funny and likeable much like the Intern. Worth a Watch 6.5/10

I liked this movie too, despite the awful reviews it received.

I saw Zoolander 2 today, and it was just flat out awful.

Zoolander 2: Bad, really really ******* bad. 1/10

This movie is so bad, so absolutely terrible it is one of the sequels that tarnishes the memory of the good original film, much like the abysmal "Wog Boy 2 - Kings of Mykenos" did to the much loved 1999 Aussie Comedy The Wog Boy.

Nothing worked with Zoolander 2, nothing at all. It is one of the rare films, like Jack and Jill, where nothing can be salvaged. I am not some stuck up cinema goer who watches pretentious films with my pretentious friends and we then go to a pretentious café afterwards to discuss the pretentious film in a pretentious manner - in fact I have liked some films that have had terrible reviews, such as Dirty Grandpa, That's My Boy, Little Nicky, Dude Where's My Car? and Freddy Got Fingered.

I think too many years have gone by to make a successful sequel to Zoolander (the original had to be edited before release as the World Trade Center featured heavily in background shots which gives some idea of how long ago it was), but if only this was the only problem with Zoolander 2 ...

This movie is so bad, so absolutely terrible it is one of the sequels that tarnishes the memory of the good original film, much like the abysmal "Wog Boy 2 - Kings of Mykenos" did to the much loved 1999 Aussie Comedy The Wog Boy.

Nothing worked with Zoolander 2, nothing at all. It is one of the rare films, like Jack and Jill, where nothing can be salvaged. I am not some stuck up cinema goer who watches pretentious films with my pretentious friends and we then go to a pretentious café afterwards to discuss the pretentious film in a pretentious manner - in fact I have liked some films that have had terrible reviews, such as Dirty Grandpa, That's My Boy, Little Nicky, Dude Where's My Car? and Freddy Got Fingered.

I think too many years have gone by to make a successful sequel to Zoolander (the original had to be edited before release as the World Trade Center featured heavily in background shots which gives some idea of how long ago it was), but if only this was the only problem with Zoolander 2 ...

Yep, I can deal with a movie which is terrible so long as it's funny, but Zoolander 2 honestly was one of the least funny movies I've ever seen, I think I exhaled air through my nose at an accelerated rate about twice in the whole film and that was as good as it got. Watched the original last night and there's so much difference between the two it's not funny

Yep, I can deal with a movie which is terrible so long as it's funny, but Zoolander 2 honestly was one of the least funny movies I've ever seen, I think I exhaled air through my nose at an accelerated rate about twice in the whole film and that was as good as it got. Watched the original last night and there's so much difference between the two it's not funny

The first was not even that good there was one funny line in the whole thing (the Eugugoliser comment). Ben Stiller has not been funny since Heavyweights :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back