Wheel of Time

Remove this Banner Ad

the oddest thing is the myddral's cloak flaps in the slightest breeze
the chick is supposed to be leandrin,but as she is suroth's slave
more likely to be katerine al-ruddin who is described as blonde anyway,
i dont think leandrin is a blonde

*Last book spoilers*

I read the last book a few weeks ago, I don't think I've read any fantasy for at least a year or two and so it was really nice to get back into something so familiar. Imo Sanderson and Jordon drew the story back together and finished it about as well as it could of been.

I thought Sanderson did well with most of the characters, maybe with the exception of Matt, he never seemed quite the same to me and the Tuon storyline never really came together. Can't be too harsh though,a final battle that lived up to five or six thousand pages of build up is a fair effort.

Anyway I started reading WOT in 1992 when the fourth book had just came out and I thought it was going to be the best series I had ever read. It's a shame it got so lost in itself along the way and in the end I've read better authors since but starting WOT as a teenager with enough time to reread books this series still gave me many, many hours of enjoyment and so it was nice to see it receive a fitting ending.

Finished the last book on the weekend and thought it was pretty good overall. Can't have been an easy job to try and tie up so many characters, story arcs etc into a satisfying end. I thought the last book felt a bit rushed in some parts and there was token cameos for some of the characters introduced over the series - but seemed very brief as many of those who got a brief mention didn't feature much afterwards.

Not sure what I thought of the ending, kind of feel that it was incomplete - or didn't give much in the way of closure. Not sure how to do the spoilers thing but I suppose it was always going to be a challenge to write a really good ending for such a long series that millions of fans have become attached to over the duration.

Not sure what I thought of the ending, kind of feel that it was incomplete - or didn't give much in the way of closure.

Jordan was going to write next, the Seanchan reunification with Matt and Tuon being the main characters. I'm guessing that would've dealt with the fallout from end of the WoT series.

Jordan was going to write next, the Seanchan reunification with Matt and Tuon being the main characters. I'm guessing that would've dealt with the fallout from end of the WoT series.

Ah that explains a bit then - thought Matt and Tuon's ending (as well as the future/fate of the Seanchan) were very quickly glossed over - a bit like Perrin and Faile and the Two Rivers I guess.

Ah that explains a bit then - thought Matt and Tuon's ending (as well as the future/fate of the Seanchan) were very quickly glossed over - a bit like Perrin and Faile and the Two Rivers I guess.

Yeah, also Sanderson has said he didn't feel comfortable taking that on as it was only at the stage of a rough outline. It would be up to Jordan's widow as to if/when that series occurs.

Reading it at the moment. Yeah it's not the greatest. He writes the action scenes very well, its more the character interactions that seem a bit off. His latest stuff is alot better.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

Take this back. Just finished book 2 of Sanderson's Mistborn series and I'm enjoying it. The beef I had with the first book isn't an obvious issue.

Just ordered the first 3 of this series as I've decided I need something to read to bridge the gap to the next ASoIaF book.

Is it of a similar quality? I'm a little bit concerned it might be a bit too cliche and typical grand fantasy stuff. Is there enough intrigue to hook me?

You'll enjoy it. It's one of the best fantasy series ever. Plenty of everything you love. And the world and it's workings are quite original. Slows as you get to book 9 and 10 but the rest of the books are great. The last 3 Sanderson wrote were action packed and he finished of the series great.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I think Martins writing is a little more grittier, he's able to portray the feelings and motivations of his characters better. That being said, the intricacy, scope and history of Jordans world out does ASoIaF. Or so I see it anyway.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will certainly keep you going for a while - though I bet the next ASoIaF book won't be out until you read them all (I had the same plan!) :p

He's just so slow. 5 or 6 years between books. Better not die on us.

Didn't he say that in the event he dies before he finishes them, he wants the notes burnt so it will forever remain unfinished?

Incidentally, that is what happened with the WoT books when Jordan passed away - though thankfully they saw fit to try and do the series justice by giving the fans an ending.

I think GRRM was saying that he may finish the TV series before the books are completely.

Hope that isn't the case!

Though at the current rate, the TV show will pass him in no time.

Yeah that's what's got me worried. It's not the same but at least we'd have the show if he did.

Yeah true, something is usually always better than nothing.

I guess with GoT though, there are lots of theories out there on what might happen and to which characters so if it came down to 'make up your own conclusion', there would be no shortage of fan fictions out there as well - not the same but at least something.

Incidentally, that is what happened with the WoT books when Jordan passed away - though thankfully they saw fit to try and do the series justice by giving the fans an ending.
Jordan used to joke in the early days if something happened to him he wanted his hard drive formatted three times and the ashes of any notes scattered. When he did become sick he made it clear he'd leave everything he could for someone to complete the work if he passed away before he finished it (which obviously did occur). This included a spoken account of the three books main story arcs to his wife and other family which Sanderson used the recollection of as part of the outline. Whether GRRM has a lot of notes on getting from A to B outside of the parts of Winds of Winter written is an unknown. Hopefully he finishes ASoIaF as I don't want an inferior end like WoT (not the fault of Sanderson, WoT's scope was too large for anyone other than Jordan to do full justice to the finish).

Started reading about a month ago. I'm 30 chapters deep into Book 4 The Shadow Rising. Just needed somewhere to express my admiration for middle chapters, the Aiel origins/flashbacks. It just kept going further and further back in time, each passage/relived moment in time compounded and more painful than the last. Than it continues in the next chapter and I thought it would go on forever (I almost wanted it to).

Started reading about a month ago. I'm 30 chapters deep into Book 4 The Shadow Rising. Just needed somewhere to express my admiration for middle chapters, the Aiel origins/flashbacks. It just kept going further and further back in time, each passage/relived moment in time compounded and more painful than the last. Than it continues in the next chapter and I thought it would go on forever (I almost wanted it to).

The Shadow Rising is an absolute masterpiece.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back