Wheel of Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Still love re-reading Eddings books because I grew up with them, but man I hope it's not that kind of ending.

I liked Eddings as a 10-12 year old. They annoy me now, his characters have very little depth. The jokey style of his side kicks makes it hard to distinguish Belgarion's followers to Sparhawk's IMO

I liked Eddings as a 10-12 year old. They annoy me now, his characters have very little depth. The jokey style of his side kicks makes it hard to distinguish Belgarion's followers to Sparhawk's IMO

For sure, the only time I do read them is when something s**t has happened or I am extremely bored and want to revert to my childhood and smash out a series in a day or two.

For sure, the only time I do read them is when something s**t has happened or I am extremely bored and want to revert to my childhood and smash out a series in a day or two.
So true. Eddings books are good starter fantasy for young teens, but you wouldn't give them to an adult starting out in the genre. I've a group of books/series that I'll re-read for the umpteenth time when I need to de-stress or want to stop thinking, of which The Belgariad is one of.

On the Wheel of Time, over at Dragonmount.com you can read part of the prologue and chapter 1 of AMOL.

Nope. I am actually following Brandon Sanderson's books and he writes a mean twist. The ending is based on the notes he got, and on his blog Brandon talks about it being very cool. So, this is unlikely to be predictable. Although, Rand dying does sound predictable.

"By Grace and Banners Fallen", the prologue of A Memory of Light is now available for purchase as an E-book ($2.99 US). You just need to put in a US address.

Yeah I'll wait until release for the book - not too far away now...

Yeah I'll wait until release for the book - not too far away now...
I'm a sucker and got it. It's a good read. Lingering questions from earlier books answered, one major cliffhanger immediately leapt into (read spoilers below if want details) and interesting events for the rest of the book set up. 90% certain it was all written by Jordan. I'm very appreciate Sanderson was able to finish the story, but no author is going to be able to nail another's style and story exactly, even with lots of notes to work from. And the prologue just feels right.

It covers a few points of view. The main one it covers is from Talmanes POV in the battle for Caemyln. The prologue alternates between the smaller single POV sections and Talmanes sections. It starts with one of the rebel Andoran bands that was contending for the Lion Throne, other non-Talmanes sections are Isam in the Blight meets one of the Chosen, a remaining Forsaken meeting (with a new Chosen raised), a view from inside the Black Tower, Aviendha sharing her vision with Sorilea and co. and Leilwin (Eaganin) and Domon coming to the field of Merrilor to meet Nynaeve. Except for Talmanes POV's it's the standard prologue fair of setting things up (being a prologue after all).

I started reading this series in late 2011. Finished ToM shortly after Christmas. Am reasonably happy with my timing.

I've been reading it for twenty years.

I cannot ****ing wait for Tuesday.

I started reading this series in late 2011. Finished ToM shortly after Christmas. Am reasonably happy with my timing.

Would love to have started this way. Instead of over 20 years ago, waiting forever between books and have the writer die on us. :oops:

Would love to have started this way. Instead of over 20 years ago, waiting forever between books and have the writer die on us. :oops:

Being in the same boat, I'm a little apprehensive about it.

I'm gonna just ANNIHILATE this book when I get my hands on it tomorrow - and then it will be over....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm gonna just ANNIHILATE this book when I get my hands on it tomorrow - and then it will be over....

Lol if I wasn't back at work I'd do the same thing. :)

I know what you mean though, all this waiting and hype I'm expecting a bit of a let down.

Hopefully the ending Jordan wrote before passing lives up to expectations.

Lol if I wasn't back at work I'd do the same thing. :)

I know what you mean though, all this waiting and hype I'm expecting a bit of a let down.

Hopefully the ending Jordan wrote before passing lives up to expectations.

The pre-release reviews from the few people that were given advanced copies sound very promising. I was almost convinced that the end was going to be completely stuffed - but some fairly heavy WoT fans are giving it some pretty emphatic thumbs up.

I've been reading it for twenty years.

I cannot ****ing wait for Tuesday.
Likewise, more than half a lifetime :eek: Started reading it first year of uni. It's a been a fixture through finishing uni., getting a job, moving out of home and interstate, getting married, having kids and back to Adelaide with the next book always there to look forward to and speculate what it will contain. It'll seem strange to in a few days no longer have a Wheel of Time book to be looking forward to.

i reckon i might have to call in sick on wednesday, pull an all nighter to get it done... ooooh yeah.
Hmmm, tempted to do the same once my hardcover arrives. And of course what should be the very last line in the series.

There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was an ending.

Half way through so far and won't make any comments on what's happened directly, but geez it reads like the book had so much potential, but has been screwed up by poor writing, grasp of characters and in-jokes for hard core fans (haha, some of you thought Murandy's king was Demandred, ha ha he's not, isn't that funny?! :mad:). I'm glad the series is being finished and finding out (mostly) what the ending Jordan envisaged was, but it's hard to avoid thinking of what it could have been with the characters, world building and scene setting of Jordan at his best compared to the shallow stuff served up in too many parts.

I'm at least looking forward to knowing the later key pieces were more Jordan's work, but really I was hoping by the third Wheel of time novel he's co-written that Sanderson would have a better grasp of the characters, the plots and how to blend more seamlessly his work and Jordan's. :(

And the way the fat bastard writes like a snail and looks like a coronary waiting to happen I'm expecting the same s**t to end up happening with A Song of Ice and Fire at this rate. :thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back