When did Adelaide change?

Remove this Banner Ad

The left is all for freedom of speech as long as its their opinion your speaking out in favour of.

This is a very interesting comment to make when we are in the middle of a situation where a the most outspoken conservative mouthpiece in the country is having a big cry over the fact that he is being called a racist after using his position in the media to be horrendously racist, while simultaneously campaigning for the laws that protect people from hate speech to be abolished. Does Bolt want free speech or doesn't he?

At the very least, this is something that happens on both sides of politics. At the moment, it's happening a lot more on the right side of politics.

This is a very interesting comment to make when we are in the middle of a situation where a the most outspoken conservative mouthpiece in the country is having a big cry over the fact that he is being called a racist after using his position in the media to be horrendously racist, while simultaneously campaigning for the laws that protect people from hate speech to be abolished. Does Bolt want free speech or doesn't he?

At the very least, this is something that happens on both sides of politics. At the moment, it's happening a lot more on the right side of politics.

I don't think you know the difference between "hate speech" and defamation.

I'm absolutely against racial discrimination, but those laws make it illegal to even offend someone. That is an incredibly low bar.

I don't think you know the difference between "hate speech" and defamation.

No, I do.

Bolt is arguably being defamed (he's not really being defamed because it's not a false statement) by being called a racist. Bolt arguing that a light skinned Aboriginal person would only claim their Aboriginal heritage for the benefits is most definitely hate speech and given that it was aimed at particular individuals and wasn't simply a general comment, it's defamation as well.

I'm absolutely against racial discrimination, but those laws make it illegal to even offend someone. That is an incredibly low bar.

Whether the laws are right or wrong isn't really the issue for me. The assertion was made that the left are only happy with free speech when it benefits them. I'm arguing that right now we have one of the most famous conservatives in Australia having a sook because someone said something mean (and true) about him in the media, while at the same time arguing that when he says racist things he should be protected under free speech.

This is a really interesting conversation.

I'm in the arts and entertainment industry, so I feel like I don't even know a conservative voter. And there are certainly elements of the left that let it down for everyone. I mean, in the last two weeks, I've been called a Gay Uncle Tom (I'm straight, FWIW), a homophobe enabler (I don't know what that it is) and a misogynist because presented a webpage that featured bad rap covers (a page that is parodying the innate misogyny of a lot of hip hop - obviously by showing people being misogynist you become one yourself).

So I've copped some extreme leftwing nutsos.

Still, if I was weighing up the real issues around our political extremes, the crazy left are annoying. But the religious right (which includes Abbott, in my book, as it is a voting bloc he cultivates) and superrich (Twiggy and Gina) who are buying media influence like Rupert did are way more worrying. There's nothing wrong with being financially conservative. But you see mroe poilicy driven by fear and prejudice on the far right than you do anywhere else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get back on your own board you filthy sod, if you want to leave smart alec comments on here come back in 9 days time!!!
Is this invitation open to all Port posters?

My brother is a P.E. teacher in a primary school.

Whenever he does a Footy session and asks the kids who likes Crows and Port. He reckons its still 70/30 if not closer to 80/20.

FWIW by the sounds the Crows have massive popularity in the young kids. Can only be a good thing in 10 years time.

the demise of our once great club can be tracked back to Neil Craig - Trigg Chapman, unfortunately these buffoons where at the helm when the ice berg was in clear sight Adelaide oval, giving south Australian football heritage to demitrou for a packet of cigarettes, McLaughlin and the old boy PAC house of privilege Our once great club is a laughable hunk of poo which is almost become unrecognisable, lets all chant like fricking morons when we get a goal, this will add atmosphere as we play gutless skilless sheila football

This comment suggests the other bloke was right, you don't know what defamation is. I know you're going to argue that you do, and the above isn't opinion - but it is.

It's my opinion that Bolt is a racist like it's my opinion that the sky is blue

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

My brother is a P.E. teacher in a primary school.

Whenever he does a Footy session and asks the kids who likes Crows and Port. He reckons its still 70/30 if not closer to 80/20.

FWIW by the sounds the Crows have massive popularity in the young kids. Can only be a good thing in 10 years time.

I think it depends where you go. I'm a relief teacher around the Southern suburbs. When you ask the kids a lot of it depends on who is winning. I have noticed at the moment it is a massive mixture, whether it be crows or port but there are a lot that go for the likes of geelong, hawthorn etc. The kids love to jump on a bandwagon more so today than ever before I believe as nobody likes to lose and if you are not going to win you are better off going to play some mindcraft or watching the newest episode of game of thrones. Having said that back in 2012 when we were up in the top 4 more kids were talking about the crows and there was definitely at least a 50% supporters from the primary school kids with maybe 20% port and 30% all other clubs.

I go to both Primary and High Schools.

Ha the crows are the worst team

Look they are nothing but a baltimore ravens supporters so die with your baltimore friends DIE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back