When did you get into NBA and what's the reason behind your team??

Remove this Banner Ad

I first got into basketball in the late 80's when I was about 7. My older bro loved basketball and even played in the states for a bit.
All this exposure got me right into it and started playing around then too. My bro was a big Bulls fan, but I ended up being one of "those" Hornets fans of the early 90's. I had everything Hornets. Hornets Converse basketball boots, jocks, socks, everything! Larry Johnson was my fave player. His pure power was awesome!
Basketball cards were also a big thing. Sitting down withy mates withy copy of Beckett, showing how much our cards was worth was one if my fave past times.
When LJ was traded to the Knicks, I followed. I have been a Knicks man since. I still follow as much as I can, but work usually stops me seeing much and my 2yo son prefers the Wiggles on TV!

When I was younger in alot of the earlier NBA games my usual game style was shoot 3's and I always seemed to do it well with Bonzi Wells so when I started following NBA properly in 2006 I chose the Rockets as that was where Bonzi was at the time. Of course since then the reasons why I enjoy the Rockets are totally unrelated but do really enjoy the fact I support the Rockets instead of one of the big market sides.

BONZI!! I used to love him in the old Live games. I completely forgot about him.

Let me see... I was around 5-6 y.o when I played "NBA '98" on the PlayStation. I wasn't an avid sports follower back then as I am now, but I enjoyed playing that video game and seeing the ball go through the hoop. One thing that stuck out in my mind from that game was that there was no commentary and all you heard was the ball dribbling and the arena annoucner for every play. "WELCOME TO ORLANDO, TONIGHTS MATCH BETWEEN THE ORLANDO MAGIC AND THE BOSTON CELTICS" is the memorable announcement. There were players in it like "SCOTTYYY, PIIIIPPEN" and "KOBEEE, BRYYYYANT" in the game as well. (Note: That was how the annoucner said the names...) However, I was only a kid with no clue so that memory did not re-surface until 2008.

I played this game for about four years, and was the last one I played until 2k11. Ernie Johnson was the voiceover man, and did you know you could actually turn commentary on? Pop culture reference: the commentator was Vern Lundquist, who was also the golf commentator in Happy Gilmore.

pn pls.

By the way I'm also jelly that you've witnessed prime Shaquille live. :( I hope to go watch the NBA in three years or so. That's if I'm not playing in the 'A' of course ;)

id like to make a public apology and correction. my first nba game was not lakers vs suns. it was against the rockets. witnessed shaq etc. but no yao. instead got to marvel at the skills of mookie norris, francis, mobley and eddie griffin (pre public fap). vs suns was my second.

i apologise for any inconvenience caused.

oh yeah, snuck into the underground car park and watched shaq, horry and i think fox walk past. then got kicked out.

Played basketball as a kid, and in 1994 I was 10 years old, right around the peak of the basketball card/NBA craze in Australia.

Everyone at my school, including a kid I absolutely hated, were MJ fans. Being the contrarian and precocious kid that I was, I decided to pick someone else. Charles Barkley was my favourite player in the 90's by a long way, however like most kids, I didn't actually 'follow' the NBA at all. When people would ask me what my favourite team was, i'd always say "Boston and Phoenix", without knowing much about them at all.

Fast forward to my early/mid teens, It was around the same time the Celtics drafted Paul Pierce that I really started following the NBA again, and following the Celtics just felt right.

Now as an adult, i've been to Boston, loved the city, spent some time there and stuff... glad that 10 year old chadwiko picked a good time arbitrarily as a kid. :)

I was born in Sydney and then as a kid moved to Melbourne and then Adelaide. Grew up playing Aussie Rules in the winter and basketball in the summer. My earliest memories on NBA was watching the Magic vs Bird. Aussie TV would show the finals only early Sunday morning. I kinda liked the Lakers showtime over the Celtics because Bird was so damn un-athletic.

When I moved back to Sydney in High School of course not only did my school not have an AFL team but everyone thought AFL = Warrick Capper. I concentrated purely on Basketball and got damn good at it too. I remember Karl Malone winning the MVP my senior year I was at HS.

I went to a Junior College in the States and became a bench warmer in Idaho. This was the time that The Bad Boy Pistons were King and Jordan just couldnt get past them. I fell in love with Jordan and Pippen and I hated the Pistons. Being in the states I got to see plenty of NBA and was able to follow it closely. I saw the game when the Bulls finally got past Detroit and Isaiah led the walk off. From then on it was all glory until Jordan retired of course.

Followed the Bulls ever since and of course my favourite player is D Rose....

I worked for the Kings Organisation under Bobby Turner and Brett Brown before he left to San Antonio. Saw a lot of the behind the scenes of coaching.

I hate the Lakers, Detroit and Celtics but have a soft spot for:

Heat (cause of "Killer Cross Over")
Jazz (cause of Stockton to Malone)
Kings (cause of C Webb)

In all honesty while the Bulls are my main team, because there are 30 teams in the NBA I will look at teams at the start of the year and take one or two under my wing because of players I like or the way they play.

I will never ever forgive the cheating of the Lakers vs Kings series or Portland for giving up that lead to the Lakers.

I like deep tactical basketball talk on this board and also some of the funny posts.

Played basketball as a kid, and in 1994 I was 10 years old, right around the peak of the basketball card/NBA craze in Australia.

so you were born in 84? jesus chad i thought you was older than that! i was hanging with phil smyth then!

Everyone at my school, including a kid I absolutely hated, were MJ fans. Being the contrarian and precocious kid that I was, I decided to pick someone else. Charles Barkley was my favourite player in the 90's by a long way, however like most kids, I didn't actually 'follow' the NBA at all. When people would ask me what my favourite team was, i'd always say "Boston and Phoenix", without knowing much about them at all.[/quote]

Now as an adult, i've been to Boston, loved the city, spent some time there and stuff... glad that 10 year old chadwiko picked a good time arbitrarily as a kid. :)

also you are white, and so is boston ;)

nah seriously, i remember you posted some pics of yourself in boston. great stuff!! :thumbsu:

I was born in Sydney

stopped reading there. wait

and then as a kid moved to Melbourne

ok kept reading....

and then Adelaide.

ummm, ok we're still good right? not gonna put me in a barrel or anything?

I went to a Junior College in the States and became a bench warmer in Idaho.

awesome!!!

ralph.gif

I worked for the Kings Organisation under Bobby Turner

booooooooo

have a soft spot for:

Heat (cause of "Killer Cross Over")

and no homo?

In all honesty while the Bulls are my main team, because

of jordan? ;):D

I like deep tactical basketball talk on this board and also some of the funny posts.

681_wut-dat.gif

Started playing Live 95 and needed a team,so i went for the black white and silver as they were closest to collingwood's colours. Became a massive rodman and robinson fan. i have over 300 Rodman cards and about 250 Robinson ones including their rookie cards

Sort of got lucky when TD fell into our laps in 97.been a good run. im actually looking forward to seeing the new generation of Spurs come through

Played junior bball during the summer and winter (aswell at footy) in the early/mid 90's and started collecting NBA cards, still got quite a collection in the cupboard somewhere haha and watching NBA Action and the few games that we could back then. Me and my brother went for the Hornets, think the logo was what got us in, he was a Larry Johnson fan and and I was Alonzo Mourning fan, loved Muggsy Bogues and Glen Rice aswell.

After the local junior comps stopped it sort of died off around here and BMX, skateboarding and of course Footy all took over. Unfortunately that led to missing alot of the early 00's NBA, kept abit of a look out at what was going on, but now regret this period of not paying enough attention :p, looking back with the help of youtube and wikipedia I missed seeing alot of good stuff 'live'.

Got back into it 'properly' when we got Foxtel back and then when ONE HD were showing there games aswell, and of course the internet improvements. Now i'm loving it more than ever.

Don't follow the one team anymore, as with everyone I have a few favourite's just no standout one, I find there is to many players I love watching to be a one eyed NBA fan, however props to those who do it ;)

Played junior bball during the summer and winter (aswell at footy) in the early/mid 90's and started collecting NBA cards, still got quite a collection in the cupboard somewhere haha and watching NBA Action and the few games that we could back then. Me and my brother went for the Hornets, think the logo was what got us in, he was a Larry Johnson fan and and I was Alonzo Mourning fan, loved Muggsy Bogues and Glen Rice aswell.

After the local junior comps stopped it sort of died off around here and BMX, skateboarding and of course Footy all took over. Unfortunately that led to missing alot of the early 00's NBA, kept abit of a look out at what was going on, but now regret this period of not paying enough attention :p, looking back with the help of youtube and wikipedia I missed seeing alot of good stuff 'live'.

Got back into it 'properly' when we got Foxtel back and then when ONE HD were showing there games aswell, and of course the internet improvements. Now i'm loving it more than ever.

Don't follow the one team anymore, as with everyone I have a few favourite's just no standout one, I find there is to many players I love watching to be a one eyed NBA fan, however props to those who do it ;)

hope you post often and always here. you will find many educated posters here.

in your bball bigfooty posting infancy do you find this to be the case?

I never really had much interest in basketball, I would watch some clips but never found it too interesting...

One day my friend showed me this dunk -

I dont know if it was THAT exact play but I just remember seeing that and ever since I have loved the NBA, it has probably overtaken the AFL as my favourite sport because of the way its presented, all star weekend, play offs, etc.

I dont go for any one team but obviously there are a few teams I support more than others, I am more interested in the individuals that play, thats why I love the NBA. Seeing the progression of players throughout the years, the big trades, free agents etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Close to 20 years ago, David Robinson

My interest in the NBA has dropped a lot in recent seasons because of all the BS trades.

Close to 20 years ago, David Robinson

My interest in the NBA has dropped a lot in recent seasons because of all the BS trades.

Lost interest? Haven't the Spurs won 3 titles in the last 10 years? How does one lose interest?

(Aroused by your Av, will tell you on the Richmond board)

I have such a happy existence that I needed something to teach me the cruel realities of life; how unfair it can be.

So I follow the Wolves. Whenever I need a reality check a box score isn't far away.

Oh and the revelation that nbaman1 turned 8 the year I got married is shocking. Just going to get some nursing home brochures.

so you were born in 84? jesus chad i thought you was older than that! i was hanging with phil smyth then!

My first ever job was working in a basketball card shop run by Scott Ninnis and Robert Rose.

My first ever girlfriend was the sister of Jason Williams.

The Adelaide 36ers connections are strongggggggggg

Oh and the revelation that nbaman1 turned 8 the year I got married is shocking. Just going to get some nursing home brochures.
The revelation that I am only a couple of years behind Mess.... send me the brochures when you done son ;)

The revelation that I am only a couple of years behind Mess.... send me the brochures when you done son ;)

I dribbled my oatmeal on it during breakfast. Sorry.

I have such a happy existence that I needed something to teach me the cruel realities of life; how unfair it can be.

So I follow the Wolves. Whenever I need a reality check a box score isn't far away.

I thought I felt old coaching kids the same age as nbaman1. Feel much better that you could have coached the people that coached me.

Cheers fellas.

Well i enjoyed NBA and i liked the Bulls as a young kid cause all i got to see was Jordan and then when i was 10 my family flew over to the states and this was right when the conference finals were on. Chicago were playing New York and it was the series when Starks dunked on Grant and Jordan. I fell in love with the Knicks after watching that series, they were tough, mean, exciting. Its a shame that since then they became none of those things.
My appreciation and love for Michael Jordan changed in the blink of a eye, he quickly became my most hated and despised player in the NBA.
I also liked the Charlotte Hornets due to Alonzo Mourning and Muggsy Bogues as Muggsy was my nickname since i played PG in high school basketball. My 1st ever jersey was a Mourning Hornets one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back