When did you get into NBA and what's the reason behind your team??

Remove this Banner Ad

1991-92 season.

San antonio.

The admiral. Went crazy on nba hoops, nabbed a couple of USA gold cards. Studied the dream team inside out and just loved everything that David stood for.... Well maybe has a bit much Jesus, but I let that slide.

Ah the admiral. One of the greatest blokes to ever play the game.

Where would the Fakers be without their scraps for Star trades of Pau, Nash and Howard?

Answer: Kobe would be crying about how he needs to be traded
I really really really want to go into detail about this.

Summation:
Grizz turned out pretty damn well out of the Pau trade.
Nash and Howard? Nobody made the the Suns and Magic GM's make *ed nonsensical trades when better offers were readily available.

Yup people want to play In LA, so what? New York is the hub of expanding your brand etc........

I can't believe a Spurs fan is disillusioned by the league.....

I really really really want to go into detail about this.

Summation:
Grizz turned out pretty damn well out of the Pau trade.
Nash and Howard? Nobody made the the Suns and Magic GM's make *ed nonsensical trades when better offers were readily available.

Yup people want to play In LA, so what? New York is the hub of expanding your brand etc........

I can't believe a Spurs fan is disillusioned by the league.....

he seems mad about LAL. maybe he lost money on them.

what intrigues me is that he's a fan of various big sporting teams internationally. liverpool buy players, im sure the 49ers have traded for players. seems new to the business of sport.

what intrigues me is that he's a fan of various big sporting teams internationally. liverpool buy players, im sure the 49ers have traded for players. seems new to the business of sport.

an richmond..... oh, nm carry on :D

I used to just like players growing up. Blame the lack of coverage. Loved Clyde and Fat Lever, had gold Topps of both my pride and joy.

I took the Thunder up as a fresh start, haven't looked back. Still appreciate the good players though.

Need a team to move in the MLB so I can do the same thing.

I got into it through the hour long NBA Action on ABC late on Friday nights as a 14 year old in 1987.

I'd been playing basketball myself for a couple of years and unlike nearly everyone else I played with I loved the defensive side of the game. I also hate bandwagon supporters so I refused to follow Boston or LA.

Then I found a pack of hard nosed, defensive monsters in the Bad Boys and that was it for me. Joe Dumars and Denis Rodman are still my two favourite players, with a big soft spot for the cheap shot, dirty, dirty bastard that is Bill Laimbeer.

1999. My school's library had this awesome NBA book. It was big, thin, filled with pictures - it was immensely popular. I took it home one day, wrote down all the team names and memorized them. They were the first non-AFL teams I knew. (on an unrelated note: in grade 5, we had an American kid in the class. When he left back to the US at the end of the year, as a gift, the school let him take the book with him. I hated him for that. I wanted that book so badly. 'Merican bastard!)

A few years later I got a PS1 NBA game. Loved the name 'Olajuwon', so I adopted the Rockets as my team despite the fact that my mum was a big Knicks, having grown up and lived in NYC. (another unrelated note: her first husband was an assistant coach to Larry Brown when he was at the Nuggets. He was very close friends with David 'Skywalker' Thompson).

These days I follow the league and players, not a single team, although I will forever have soft spot for the Rockets.

Hated sports when I was younger, could've have loathed Jordan more. Everybody was a fan and I just didn't give a stuff.

I picked Magic because I thought they looked financially secure and Dwight seemed like he was on the way to a championship. I don't like big time teams like Celtics and Lakers, just not for me. I can cheer them to their glory they get so often it just wouldn't mean much to me.

I want to see the Magic triumph through the struggles and the pain, new stadium came after I picked them which was a bit of a surprise but showed financial strength :thumbsu:

I really like the whole team and the culture. Even Dwight is still active in the Orlando area, he just can't help himself. Always felt some weird connection to Florida, like the USA's version of tropical living.

I really like the whole team and the culture. Even Dwight is still active in the Orlando area, he just can't help himself. Always felt some weird connection to Florida, like the USA's version of tropical living.

its the next to nothing income tax

Went to LA during the 2000s, and saw the parade for the Lakers when they won the championship. The festivities were so infectious I fell in love with the NBA!

Not going to lie, Jumped on the Bulls when i was very very little because of the success and MJ and Scotty. Never waived from the bulls but did lose interest a bit in basketball in the early part of the 00's but have loved it more than ever in the last 5 years.

Funny though when MJ and Scotty were playing one of my favourites was BJ Armstrong and the last 2 years my favourite player was Kyle Korver so big guns not always my favourites.

Planning on a sporting tour in the US at the end of 2013 and the mad house on madison will be on top of the list.

Go Bulls

I'm fairly young and wasn't around for the Jordan, Magic, Bird days but I've always loved basketball.

I followed the league as a whole and a few players, I'm also very into the NCAA and that is when I fell in love with Derrick Rose. I loved the way he played and how humble he was so I decided I would follow the team who drafted him. That's how I became a Bulls fan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got into the NBA in about 2004.

For some reason, I always really liked Kobe's playing style. It just particularly seemed to stand out to me. I'm also the type that follows the middle range teams - when Shaq was traded, the Lakers went on a minor downfall. Completely because of these two things, I decided to follow the Lakers.

I was close to following the Cavs, not because they had LeBron, but because I liked the name Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

Also must say I love watching the Grizzlies and the Nuggets.

(Kids singing) "I waaaaannna be like Mike, I really really really wanna be like Mike. I wanna be like Mike"

When I was 4 years old.

Family thing i guess, My grandad played basketball, Both my dad/Uncle played in the WA state leagues when younger, However none really followed NBA, SO i was always playing basketball, Actually since i was 5 (Which means Tim Duncan has been playing basektball about 4 years longer then me.... URggg"

bought NBA jam when i was 12ish, The n64 Remake, Freaking played the s**t out of it, Loved kevin Garnett, Also loved watching Vince Carter Highlights, So I was more of a Raptors fan, had a Toronto Raptors backpack in primary school as well. watching the Olympics in 2000 Vince Carter And Australian Basketball royalty Andrew Gaze get in a little push and shove, Was fiercely going for Australia so suddenly i turned off Carter, Started supporting the Wolves

So i could of either been supporting Timberwolves or the Rators...no wrong choice if they are both as bad?

was never really into basketball and had barely ever watched anything other than some highlights I'd seen on telly... around rolls 06 nba finals. we had just got foxtel and I decided to see what all this hype (cpl of mates were into it) was about. obviously I had heard about shaq but I'd never heard about dwade or dirk lol (talking noob). seeing a young dwade bring the heat back from the death with ridiculous performances back to back to back to back just got me hooked! since then I've been a heat fan and followed the happenings in the league pretty religiously.

Basketball was the first sport I ever played competitively. The first training session I ever attended was interesting - I had no idea what to do.

The NBL was far more accessible in those years (late 1980s), so my awareness of the NBA was a slow-burning discovery. First game I ever watched on TV (ABC?) was a Lakers/Jazz playoffs game, in 1988 I think. I remember being struck by the quaint nature of the nicknames above all else.

My other enduring memory of that game was being fascinated by one player. Magic Johnson? Nah. Karl Malone, James Worthy, John Stockton, Kareem Abdul Jabbar (what a name)? Nope, nope, nope and nope... it was the gargantuan Mark Eaton who captured my imagination. Perhaps it was for that reason that I was barracking for the Jazz to win, but I prefer to think of it as a preternatural instinctual aversion to the evil empire.

I honed my knowledge of the 'A playing 'Celtics vs Lakers' (or NBA Live '89 as I retroactively called it) on the PC. There were a fair few teams represented in that game, but none found their way into my heart

My best friend in school was a Pistons fan in their heyday, before they and even the most ubiquitous of basketball stars - Magic and Bird - all became subsumed by the rise and rise of Michael Jordan. I watched the the ''91 Finals between the Bulls and Lakers, but despite hoping for a Jordan title I still had little emotional investment. The Bulls, Lakers, Celtics, Pistons... none of them did it for me.

There was this one team - they wore distinctive teal uniforms and featured the smallest player in the history of the universe. They weren't much good, but when they won the draft rights to Larry 'Grandmama' Johnson, their visibility began to rise. It felt right - it took me three or four years, but I'd found my team.

A year later, I'd found my player - 'Zo' was going to be the man. That everyone else at school seemed to gravitate towards Shaq only cemented 'Zo heroic status in my eyes - I wanted the underdog.

With 'Zo's iconic series winning shot against the Celtics in the '93 playoffs, it seemed live the perfect love affair, destined to last many glorious years. It never worked out that way. Injuries, fights, George f#$% Shinn... I was utterly dumbstruck when a friend told me 'Zo had been traded to Miami (vale pre-internet days of innocence).

I was hooked - NBA Action on Saturday mornings, One on One and Pro Basketball Weekly, basketball cards, those season preview magazines imported direct from the U.S... I devoured anything and everything basketball I could get my hands on, even after the awkwardness of Zo's trade.

There were tough times though... basketball's declining popularity in Aus meant that all basketball coverage was yanked from free-to-air TV, while Zo's kidney ailment and Shinn's destruction and relocation of the Hornets to New Orleans soured the romance for me. After the farce of the Kings/Lakers 2002 WCF, the NBA became less a passion and more a passing interest for me.

Still, I never kicked the habit completely, even during the NBA's 'lost years' (2002-07) with falling ratings in the US and virtually zero visibility over here.

I don't know if it was the Hornets' Cinderella 2008 season, the advent of league-pass, the general reversal in fortune of the NBA as a whole or a combination of the above that got me back into the groove as a full-fledged devotee, but here I am... a diehard fan of the New Orleans Pelicans :confused:

I got into it when I saw Boston play in 2004. Naturally I went for them.

My 2nd favourite is Brooklyn Nets

My older brother is a massive basketball fan. He's about 11 years older than me and a Nintendo collector so back in the day when I visited him I played NBA Jam 99 on the N64. Used to always play as the Seattle Supersonics so followed them a bit, dispite my brotger's love for the Bulls. Anyway, he didn't lie with us so the less I saw him the less I played, the less I was into basketball. In 2008 my mates at school loved basketball, so I joined them for a day of beers and the Lakers v Celtics Game 7. Hooked again. So the next season I was set to support my Sonics, only to find they no longer existed and had moved to Oklahoma City. So I said bugger that and decided to follow Phoenix as I was already a fan of the Arizona Cardinals of the NFL and one of my mates was a Phoenix fan and was pushing them on me. So yeah, Phoenix, with a soft spot for OKC.

It was only really about 5 years ago when I really started following the league. I think I accidentally stumbled upon a game on ONE HD whilst I was on school holidays and I was hooked. I found myself really enjoying it, and also marveling at the immense athleticism that it takes to play the game. I then bought NBA 2k11, and would just play it and play it everyday (and still do play it). My love for the game has really grown to the point that I really just follow the league as a whole, so I don't specifically have a favourite team. I enjoy watching the Spurs, Mavericks and Knicks play, but really just any game that has any interest around it I'll watch it. Buying League Pass for last season was one of the best purchases i've ever made and I will be renewing my subscription for this season coming up. I can't wait to see what the new season has to offer!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back