MMA-Other When Did You Start Watching MMA?

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 145668

Thats a crucifix, can also be mounted where the guy is on top. There was a brutal crucifix in one of the first UFC's where the guy who had it just rained down elbows to his unconscious opponent.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/2/1...ehind-gary-goodridges-knockout-debut-at-ufc-8

If you have seen the video of that fight you know exactly what im talking about, its awful.

He learned that position at the school he had a couple of lessons at before the UFC. He wasn't a 4th degree BB in Kuk Sol Woon or whatever they said, it was advertising for them. Anyway they taught him the position but didn't teach him the elbows, that was his own application, clever and brutal.

If you're interested in the early UFCs I couldn't recommend "No Holds Barred: The Complete History of MMA in North America" by Clyde Gentry enough, great read and very detailed.

View attachment 145668

Thats a crucifix, can also be mounted where the guy is on top. There was a brutal crucifix in one of the first UFC's where the guy who had it just rained down elbows to his unconscious opponent.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/2/1...ehind-gary-goodridges-knockout-debut-at-ufc-8

If you have seen the video of that fight you know exactly what im talking about, its awful.
I did see that fight as it happened at the time.

As i said, im probably getting mistaken on the specific thing. Mainly was just talking about how an MMA sanctioned fight is not a representation of a real life fight, and that strikes and certain stand-up clinches and throw-downs are more relevant in real life than ground-fighting in MMA.

Always had a passing interest in MMA but never really started watching or keeping up with it until recently.

Friend of mine has fought in the AFC twice now but I can't justify 90 bucks to watch him fight for 3 minutes.

Want to get involved in some different parts of the board, hopefully if I can keep up with everything I can post here a bit more

Always had a passing interest in MMA but never really started watching or keeping up with it until recently.

Friend of mine has fought in the AFC twice now but I can't justify 90 bucks to watch him fight for 3 minutes.

Want to get involved in some different parts of the board, hopefully if I can keep up with everything I can post here a bit more

Ive been to nearly all the AFC cards, i can tell you its worth the money, long cards and always a few good fights. Not to mention its the new blooding ground for Aussies UFC fighters (Jake Mathews, Dan Kelly, Steve Kennedy even Soa fought there after he got dumped the first time)

Ive been to nearly all the AFC cards, i can tell you its worth the money, long cards and always a few good fights. Not to mention its the new blooding ground for Aussies UFC fighters (Jake Mathews, Dan Kelly, Steve Kennedy even Soa fought there after he got dumped the first time)

If his next fight is in Melbourne then hopefully i'll get tickets, it's nothing against the AFC just the cost involved and going on my own.

Highly recommend the AFC, great night of fights and a good atmosphere. Was only 50 bucks last time I went, well worth it I'd reckon.

Yeah that's my problem my mates supporter tickets were iirc 90 bucks so it's either pay that to sit with people I know or sit on my own for 60

Or get some mates :p

Highly recommend the AFC, great night of fights and a good atmosphere. Was only 50 bucks last time I went, well worth it I'd reckon.
Yeah, I was there last event (AFC13) coach/cornering one of the fighters, Jason Petropolous- who unfortunately got the wrong end of a tough decision (we believed he won the first couple of rounds, but lost the last so he was content to avoid damage and hang on, but he ended up losing a SD). Either way its always a good night of fights and is run very professionally.

Probably be there next event and hopefully get a win this time.

See what you think yourselves:

Last edited:
I did see that fight as it happened at the time.

As i said, im probably getting mistaken on the specific thing. Mainly was just talking about how an MMA sanctioned fight is not a representation of a real life fight, and that strikes and certain stand-up clinches and throw-downs are more relevant in real life than ground-fighting in MMA.

Went looking for this vid last page & saw you put it here already.

Anyway, without the music....

Yeah, I was there last event (AFC13) coach/cornering one of the fighters, Jason Petropolous- who unfortunately got the wrong end of a tough decision (we believed he won the first couple of rounds, but lost the last so he was content to avoid damage and hang on, but he ended up losing a SD). Either way its always a good night of fights and is run very professionally.

Probably be there next event and hopefully get a win this time.

See what you think yourselves:

Ok, my uneducated thoughts written as I watch the fight:

Rd 1:Your boy starts off with a well timed takedown. Holds the dominant position in the other bloke's odd guard for a while, landing some punches which probably won't damage much. Ref stands up, not sure why, didn't seem to be a stalemate but anyway. Then the other bloke works for a good takedown and eventually gets it, seems to be in side control briefly but settles to half guard, not doing much but again not sure why he stood them up. The other blokes lands a decent enough punch on the stand up then not much else happens. I give it to Muhammad 10-9 based on his having a more dominant position for roughly the same time and that punch, geez that's a close round though, flip of the coin.

Rd 2: Seems like an error from Muhammad and in the end seems to pull guard, Petropolous settles into his half guard. Great mount by JP and some decent strikes landed but loses mount, then Muhammad pulls guard again. Again Muhammad has a weird guard, looks like a half butterfly half rubber guard. Some slick work on the ground by both guys, omoplata attempt then triangle attempt then somehow Muhammad gets on top in guard again, nearly gets mount and then WTF gets stood up? That's the worst of the lot! Bit of leather thrown but the late takedown just gets the round for Jason 10-9, again, ******* close.

Rd 3:Lol, * the glove touching, I'm front kicking ya! :D Spices this one up a bit, some decent up kicks thrown by JP. Muhammad into side control, JP trying hard but can't do much here. You could have actually made an argument for standing it up now, just holding him in half guard and not doing much, not a fan of this refereeing. Muhammad gets the mount and starts to work, good defence by JP on the bottom though. But yeah, clear 10-9 round for Muhammad.

So I had it 29-28 Muhammad, but those first two rounds could have gone either way, Very close fight and your boy acquitted himself well, seems to really enjoy himself out there which is good.

Ok, my uneducated thoughts written as I watch the fight:

Rd 1:Your boy starts off with a well timed takedown. Holds the dominant position in the other bloke's odd guard for a while, landing some punches which probably won't damage much. Ref stands up, not sure why, didn't seem to be a stalemate but anyway. Then the other bloke works for a good takedown and eventually gets it, seems to be in side control briefly but settles to half guard, not doing much but again not sure why he stood them up. The other blokes lands a decent enough punch on the stand up then not much else happens. I give it to Muhammad 10-9 based on his having a more dominant position for roughly the same time and that punch, geez that's a close round though, flip of the coin.

Rd 2: Seems like an error from Muhammad and in the end seems to pull guard, Petropolous settles into his half guard. Great mount by JP and some decent strikes landed but loses mount, then Muhammad pulls guard again. Again Muhammad has a weird guard, looks like a half butterfly half rubber guard. Some slick work on the ground by both guys, omoplata attempt then triangle attempt then somehow Muhammad gets on top in guard again, nearly gets mount and then WTF gets stood up? That's the worst of the lot! Bit of leather thrown but the late takedown just gets the round for Jason 10-9, again, ******* close.

Rd 3:Lol, **** the glove touching, I'm front kicking ya! :D Spices this one up a bit, some decent up kicks thrown by JP. Muhammad into side control, JP trying hard but can't do much here. You could have actually made an argument for standing it up now, just holding him in half guard and not doing much, not a fan of this refereeing. Muhammad gets the mount and starts to work, good defence by JP on the bottom though. But yeah, clear 10-9 round for Muhammad.

So I had it 29-28 Muhammad, but those first two rounds could have gone either way, Very close fight and your boy acquitted himself well, seems to really enjoy himself out there which is good.

Thanks man, appreciate your breakdown - yeah it comes down to round one which I thought at worst was a 10-10 as Muhammad really didn't land anything and couldn't pass. It seemed he was content to simply do 'jiu jitsu' rather than MMA. Jason took him down early and at least is striking 2 minutes of jason's control and 2 minutes of muhammad's control. On the break, Jason worked better against the fence with knees and takedown attempts and just landed more strikes in that round, including a couple of accidental shots to the back of the head at the end of the round, oops. I just thought jase was more active when on the less dominant position at all times. Either way, a close round.

Pride style judging I could see Muhammad being more of the winner as he finished stronger, but in that case Jason would have worked harder in that last round - he was kicking himself for not going harder after the fight. Lesson learned.

We're hoping for a rematch which Jason can let his hands go more - he actually has some decent boxing but for whatever reason didn't really strike. He's young and I think the bright lights can get to you at times! He has a clear advantage in that area IMO.

Nonetheless all good experience.

His first fight at AFC was the event prior which he won quickly, so a hard 3 rounder was good. He was certainly tired at the end of round 3, but believed because he had won rounds 1 and 2 was content to 'survive' rather than fight. There were a few mistakes I've tried to make him focus on not doing for next time... such as losing concentration where he was landing good upkicks in R3, he momentarily looked at the ref asking for a standup which gave his opponent opportunity to enter into his guard. Credit to muhammad, his pressure style passing was pretty good as jason is usually tough to hold down. Also on mount, Jason looked to finish via an armbar which he got too excited about, I was screaming at him to simply consolidate and pick his shots. When simply holding and taking his time, his mount is VERY good. Shame because I believe he would have finished the fight in Round 2 with mount.

Here's his first fight against Noodles from my old club Dominance MMA (I hate competing against the old club but had no choice really).

Last edited:
Thanks man, appreciate your breakdown - yeah it comes down to round one which I thought at worst was a 10-10 as Muhammad really didn't land anything and couldn't pass. It seemed he was content to simply do 'jiu jitsu' rather than MMA. Jason took him down early and at least is striking 2 minutes of jason's control and 2 minutes of muhammad's control. On the break, Jason worked better against the fence with knees and takedown attempts and just landed more strikes in that round, including a couple of accidental shots to the back of the head at the end of the round, oops. I just thought jase was more active when on the less dominant position at all times. Either way, a close round.

Pride style judging I could see Muhammad being more of the winner as he finished stronger, but in that case Jason would have worked harder in that last round - he was kicking himself for not going harder after the fight. Lesson learned.

We're hoping for a rematch which Jason can let his hands go more - he actually has some decent boxing but for whatever reason didn't really strike. He's young and I think the bright lights can get to you at times! He has a clear advantage in that area IMO.

Nonetheless all good experience.

His first fight at AFC was the event prior which he won quickly, so a hard 3 rounder was good. He was certainly tired at the end of round 3, but believed because he had won rounds 1 and 2 was content to 'survive' rather than fight. There were a few mistakes I've tried to make him focus on not doing for next time... such as losing concentration where he was landing good upkicks in R3, he momentarily looked at the ref asking for a standup which gave his opponent opportunity to enter into his guard. Credit to muhammad, his pressure style passing was pretty good as jason is usually tough to hold down. Also on mount, Jason looked to finish via an armbar which he got too excited about, I was screaming at him to simply consolidate and pick his shots. When simply holding and taking his time, his mount is VERY good. Shame because I believe he would have finished the fight in Round 2 with mount.

Here's his first fight against Noodles from my old club Dominance MMA (I hate competing against the old club but had no choice really).

Yeah well when a fight is that close the result will always be pretty hard to pick, and I haven't seen too many closer rounds than that first one. To be honest I think judges should be prepared to give drawn rounds more often, but since they don't I don't in my "judging".

Yeah it's not a great plan obviously to try and coast in a round if you think you've had it won, maybe it's a mental thing though. if you think you have to win the round you'll automatically work that 5% harder which can be the difference.

Yeah was a shame he let the guy slip out of mount, looked like he was doing well in that position. Muhammad had good ground skills so he would have known he mightn't get a chance to get a mount later on.

I'll give that fight a watch this arvo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back