When does west coast and adam simpson start to face criticism

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a damn lie and you know it. How many seasons was he at the club and how many of those were impacted by injury? In his final year at the club, when he was finally over his OP he still was performing average at WAFL level, rarely gathering big numbers and Swift was offering more.

Slow, lack of any distance in his kicking, and low possession counts. What a fantastic mix!

did you watch his east freo games? he had a decent grand final

i remember him as a high tackling player, developing his inside game. i recall one game where he was in the high 30s disposal count. remember him as someone who would chip in with a goal a game.

Simpson has been there for a brief period at a club that is on the down and rebuilding. I know the media generally don't believe in giving a coach a chance but anyone who coaches these lowly clubs deserves to be given a chance. Building a team back up to competitiveness takes years.

As long as the coach has a realistic view of their list and is making the right decisions to improve it then they're going in the right direction.

did you watch his east freo games? he had a decent grand final

i remember him as a high tackling player, developing his inside game. i recall one game where he was in the high 30s disposal count. remember him as someone who would chip in with a goal a game.

Had about 15 touches in the grad final. Plus, that's probably a little late to be pushing for selection.

Yeah I did. Was happy to see East suck. Again, probably the wrong time of year to be "pretty good".

season 2011 for him was great. got no chance. 2012 was still pretty good. deserved more of a shot. didnt get it so he left.

if you had him now, it'd take pressure off priddis and you'd be more successful

season 2011 for him was great. got no chance. 2012 was still pretty good. deserved more of a shot. didnt get it so he left.

if you had him now, it'd take pressure off priddis and you'd be more successful

We were top 4 in 2011, Kerr and Shuey were flying and he was not even close to playing regular senior football given those ahead of him.

He didn't deserve more of a shot in 2012 either, Swift was playing better than him and as a team we were still functioning reasonably well. Not too many were that sad he left really.

when do we start to face criticism? What, a 300 reply thread on us having the worst midfield in the comp isnt enough?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simpson has been there for a brief period at a club that is on the down and rebuilding. I know the media generally don't believe in giving a coach a chance but anyone who coaches these lowly clubs deserves to be given a chance. Building a team back up to competitiveness takes years.

As long as the coach has a realistic view of their list and is making the right decisions to improve it then they're going in the right direction.

We finished 13th last year, we are currently 11th without Embley, Kerr, Glass and Cox for some parts, yet Simmo is apparently supposed to be under scrutiny, it's hilarious.

We legit have the worst midfield group in the comp, dudes in the Eagles boards need to calm down a little, most of them are still sensitive because they didn't pick Sumich, getting out of the Eagles bubble and getting Simpson from a successful run at Hawthorn was the smart thing to do :thumbsu:

i think it involves trying to turn darling and lecras into midfielders

then playing as many rucks as possible

LeCras is a natural midfielder, and was drafted as one.

Neither he nor Darling have played that much in the midfield this season anyway.

LeCras is a natural midfielder, and was drafted as one.

Neither he nor Darling have played that much in the midfield this season anyway.

adam simpson was on radio earlier this year in which he flagged that darling and lecras would play more midfield

Until Darling trims down he simply isn't capable of being much more than a short impact midfielder. The good midfielders soon have him caught out not running both ways. Why the hell would they want to crucify a natural strong tall forward by dumping him in the midfield anyway?
Simpson just needs to get to the draft and be brave enough to trade equitably as well. There are a few bigger bodied mids at other clubs fringes that may be worth a crack at during trade talks.

Until Darling trims down he simply isn't capable of being much more than a short impact midfielder. The good midfielders soon have him caught out not running both ways. Why the hell would they want to crucify a natural strong tall forward by dumping him in the midfield anyway?
Simpson just needs to get to the draft and be brave enough to trade equitably as well. There are a few bigger bodied mids at other clubs fringes that may be worth a crack at during trade talks.

You know he's is one of our best runners at the club right? Oh that's right, you're commenting on things you have no idea about.

You know he's is one of our best runners at the club right? Oh that's right, you're commenting on things you have no idea about.
Well big Coxy's got a huge nose but that doesn't mean he's an elephant! Darling could be the best runner in the entire AFL for all the good it is . But he has NFI where and when to run - especially defensively. Proof's in the pudding you clown. Otherwise he would be spending serious midfielder type minutes throughout a game. But I'm glad you so obviously take so much notice and are so well informed when you live the width of a continent away!
What a fair dinkum tosser you are. You think that because you support the west coast feebles, you know more. Well watch him closer next time he starts in the middle. He gets lost in there and smart big-bodied mids soon burn him off and he returns to the forwardline.

Well big Coxy's got a huge nose but that doesn't mean he's an elephant! Darling could be the best runner in the entire AFL for all the good it is . But he has NFI where and when to run - especially defensively. Proof's in the pudding you clown. Otherwise he would be spending serious midfielder type minutes throughout a game. But I'm glad you so obviously take so much notice and are so well informed when you live the width of a continent away!
What a fair dinkum tosser you are. You think that because you support the west coast feebles, you know more. Well watch him closer next time he starts in the middle. He gets lost in there and smart big-bodied mids soon burn him off and he returns to the forwardline.

What does any of that have to do with his need to trim down?

"He needs to drop weight to learn where to run"

Simpson has said that some players need to "get bigger", so that's very encouraging. Certainly wouldn't hear that from Worsfold.

On Darling, I think his body type is perfect for what we need and if it's a success then WC will be praised. His problem at the moment is when is running through the midfield he doesn't get himself in the right areas to best receive or to give. That and hand skills need to improve. Not sure if it's always been like that or he's just off in that area at the moment.

Stevens has been okay for the Bulldogs but not exceptional. I don't think you could really chalk him up as a major loss. Ebert has been outstanding the last couple of seasons though. I wish he'd stuck around but like others have said, it seemed fairly inevitable that he would go home.

Compounded by Port bending us over at the trade table.

Our club is in dire straits.

The midfield - the engine room - is horrifically bad. And it's compounded by highly variable "efforts" from a lot of the C-graders we've got left in there.

It will be interesting to see how things go from here for West Coast. If there's a club that can turn things around suddenly and unexpectedly it's the Eagles.

But I wonder whether that long run of success on field and off field (from 1988-2007 they only missed finals three times, and they're close to the biggest money earning club in Australian sport) has led to complacency as a football club, and perhaps a belief that because they are West Coast and have done it before, they won't be out of the finals for long.

Simpson has a pretty hard task if the club he's at has grown stale. West Coast always had an advantage over the rest of the league in being able to identify talent that other clubs ignored, but the way the draft and recruitment has gone truly national (and even international) these natural advantages no longer seem so large.

Especially given the expansion clubs gets so much of a leg up. West Coast would kill to have even a quarter of the WA talent on Gold Coast's books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back