News When is Marley getting sentenced? Announced today!

blaze036

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gumbies FC
Some people will totally disagree with what I am about to say...others may get it.....

I have 4 young children (8-3), numerous times a day, someone comes crying to me saying "B hit me" or "H called me a name" or "L punched me" or "M bit me"....you get the point. It took me awhile, but now my first question is "Why did they do that"?

At first I was always looking after the dobber, then I realised there was most often a lot more to the story. While I do not condone any violence, I do acknowledge that some thing will incite a reaction. Yes, Marley was 18 and much older than my kids, but, still he was immature (mentally). My point is that I am trying to teach my kids from a young age that it is two fold....do not be a tool in the first place, and of course also walk away.

That seems pretty akin to victim blaming

sirene

Cancelled
Collingwood - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2014 Western Bulldogs - Christian Howard/Mark Austin Player Sponsor 2013 Collingwood - Quinten Lynch Player Sponsor 2013 Collingwood Magpies - Alex Fasolo 2012 Player Sponsor
Jun 17, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
wonder what would have happnned if it was you or me who broke the guys jaw we would end up getting sentenced
Yes, exactly as Marley was if we did the same things after the incendent and had the same judge.

sirene

Cancelled
Collingwood - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2014 Western Bulldogs - Christian Howard/Mark Austin Player Sponsor 2013 Collingwood - Quinten Lynch Player Sponsor 2013 Collingwood Magpies - Alex Fasolo 2012 Player Sponsor
Jun 17, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
That seems pretty akin to victim blaming
Really? How is that Blaze? Seriously, argue a point with me that is not an offhand one line comment.

blaze036

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gumbies FC
Really? How is that Blaze? Seriously, argue a point with me that is not an offhand one line comment.

When someone gets raped there is a culture in some parts where people say "well how you dressed/acted you were probably asking for it". That is called victim blaming and is a problem within some sectors in our society. It is exactly the same in assault cases, someone gets punched and instead of blaming the people who threw the punch we start saying "well you were probably asking for it"...

It's the same logic to your analogy albeit on a much much less serious scale.

sirene

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
When someone gets raped there is a culture in some parts where people say "well how you dressed/acted you were probably asking for it". That is called victim blaming and is a problem within some sectors in our society. It is exactly the same in assault cases, someone gets punched and instead of blaming the people who threw the punch we start saying "well you were probably asking for it"...

It's the same logic to your analogy albeit on a much much less serious scale.
That is not at all what I was saying. And suggesting that how someone dresses or acts incites rape, is VERY ******* different to someone verbally and physically abusing (albeit minor) may incite negative reactions.

sirene

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Serious question Blaze, have you ever been a victim?

blaze036

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gumbies FC
That is not at all what I was saying. And suggesting that how someone dresses or acts incites rape, is VERY ******* different to someone verbally and physically abusing (albeit minor) may incite negative reactions.

The point was about the culture of victim blaming, I'm not saying rape and assault are the same thing.

She gave an analogy about her experience, I didn't see any question
She asked a question oF her children after they claimed an assault. She never said they deserve it but she's saying that from experience sometimes kids do stuff like start the whole fight themselves and that the child being blamed was actually just defending himself/herself.

sirene

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Blaze, I am so not a victim blamer....I very much understand that concept and abhor it. I should have asked a you a member of a "minority" that is constantly blamed?

sirene

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
She asked a question oF her children after they claimed an assault. She never said they deserve it but she's saying that from experience sometimes kids do stuff like start the whole fight themselves and that the child being blamed was actually just defending himself/herself.
Thankyou.....normally both kids receive discipline, but, you know it is not always black and white. Which is exactly as this judge did.

sirene

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
The point was about the culture of victim blaming, I'm not saying rape and assault are the same thing.
There is no "culture of victim blaming", not when you are discussing different crimes, different types of victims, etc. Seriously, have you recently started UNI?

blaze036

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gumbies FC
Blaze, I am so not a victim blamer....I very much understand that concept and abhor it. I should have asked a you a member of a "minority" that is constantly blamed?

There is no "culture of victim blaming", not when you are discussing different crimes, different types of victims, etc. Seriously, have you recently started UNI?

I'm not sure whether I am a minority or whether I have recently started uni have much to do with this conversation.

We definitely have a culture of victim blaming, in fact you can even see it prevalent in this thread.

blaze036

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gumbies FC
10eqzoh.jpg

Can you stop taking all the good names

sirene

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not sure whether I am a minority or whether I have recently started uni have much to do with this conversation.

We definitely have a culture of victim blaming, in fact you can even see it prevalent in this thread.
Yes Blaze, there is some evidence of victim blame in or society, however, not everyone that disagrees with you should wear that cloak. My questions to you were somewhat unrelated. I am definitely not a victim blamer. When I asked you if you were a victim, that was to determine if you were coming from a victims POV. When I asked you re: UNI, it was about a difference about your posting from months ago.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Instigators crying foul after initiating a situation seems to be more common than victim blaming.

People have to own up to their actions. Stating that isnt victim blaming. Society in general all too often wont take ownership of their own actions and the positions/situations they put themselves in.

Pacifists believe its cowardly to stand up for yourself apparently TRS :rolleyes:

There is nothing wrong with standing up for yourself, but it is always a decision you make to end something with violence. Pride is the downfall of so many of us, especially in a bar, after a few drinks, with all the pretty girls and our mates watching. The reality is, 5 seconds of standing up for yourself is not worth 12 months in prison, or 3 months, or 25 years if someone cracks their head on the bar. Eventually, after a few more generations we will all come to realise this.

joff

Premium Platinum
Jan 3, 2011
oz
AFL Club
Collingwood
We've been down this track before blaze I respect your right to voice your opinion but as you know I prefer the reality of the street and not the drawing room theories - life just isn't cooperative enough at times to allow us to make nice, sensible considered decisions.

Why don't we just steer clear of each other here and not snarl up the thread?
why isn't there an unlike option im sure it would get used;)

sirene

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
why isn't there an unlike option im sure it would get used;)
Seriously, do most of this board live in a strange universve that I have never seen?????????????

sirene

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
sorry lobagia I was agreeing with jonbe
My bad, I am sorry, I agree with you and Jonbe.....to some extent. I have 3 sons, I am a female, but truthfully I wonder am I just too old to converse on a board like this?

Adam Marrett23

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2014
Sorry to intrude but as a Port fan I'm happy for Marley that he can move on with his career and life and good luck to him.The kid made a mistake,he has been sentenced and dealt with.If he cops s*#t and flack from opposition fans or the usual Collingwood flack like Eddie paid em off etc, then those people need a look at themselves.A suspended sentence isn't getting off light as some "experts" have claimed on talkback radio here in Perth have claimed, that stays with him if he re-offends or commits any crime even after the suspended sentence is over.Anyway leave you lot to it and good luck to Marley hopefully see him back amongst the footy soon enough.

Back