News When is Marley getting sentenced? Announced today!

Remove this Banner Ad

Why wouldn't Marley be ready to play VFL this weekend?!! He has been training and must be physically fit. Surely he would be playing football ASAP!

Why wouldn't Marley be ready to play VFL this weekend?!! He has been training and must be physically fit. Surely he would be playing football ASAP!
He's missed sessions this week, but methinks we're playing the quietly quietly approach re. keeping the AFL wolves at bay. Just ease off and let the memory fade a bit. You saw what happened when the poor kid tried to play a friggen praccy match!

He's missed sessions this week, but methinks we're playing the quietly quietly approach re. keeping the AFL wolves at bay. Just ease off and let the memory fade a bit. You saw what happened when the poor kid tried to play a friggen praccy match!
No I didn't see. What happened?

While Marley hasn't been playing this year he has been smashing the gym and getting in 100% top nick. Make no mistake he is 110% physically ready to go.

I don't know, it's what Buckley said though. There is a difference between being mentally fit to play and being physically fit, no point playing if he isn't ready mentally yet.

I assume he will play this weekend but wouldn't be surprised if he didn't nor would I hold it against him.

Marley's a tough nut, but he will need to be to face down the sledging he will get from opposition players and supporters. I'm sure the club will prepare him for it, and then let him play when they are confident he can deal with it. That may be this Saturday in the VFL, or it may not. The last thing anyone wants is Marley losing his cool and being undisciplined, which BTW I've never seen him do on the field. He needs to be strong mentally to get going again. Must say, I'm extremely relieved that he is back with us.

The crime was well over a year ago, his hearing was a few months ago, if anything after his sentencing he should be feeling better than at any point during that time or at least any time since his guilty verdict. The fact that he has been at training and at VFL and AFL matches (I saw him at the Tiges game) gives me the feeling that he is raring to go and will play VFL this weekend, even if it is only ~50% game time. I am sure that he wants nothing more than to get back out there and put all this behind him, especially after seeing his mates play for the past couple of months and being forced to sit in the stands.
Best of luck to him, I am sure he can deal with the sledging after what he has been through. Let's hope he is out on the G before too long.

Marley's a tough nut, but he will need to be to face down the sledging he will get from opposition players and supporters. I'm sure the club will prepare him for it, and then let him play when they are confident he can deal with it. That may be this Saturday in the VFL, or it may not. The last thing anyone wants is Marley losing his cool and being undisciplined, which BTW I've never seen him do on the field. He needs to be strong mentally to get going again. Must say, I'm extremely relieved that he is back with us.

Never seen him lose his cool on the field. Is prone to the odd arrogant bump, but thats what good nuggety stingey defenders do!!

I am comforted in knowing at least he will have Maxwells guidance on the field! Which was shown in last years final loss to Port, Maxwell went straight to Marley to keep him at bay when shaw/marley were getting stuck into monfries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey, saw that Marley is a chance of playing against us in the VFL this Saturday at Windy Hill.
Good luck to him and hopefully we get the chance to slag his game :p As good opposition supporters do.
As to my way of thinking he's received his punishment in the publicity alone so any *stick who slags him over this episode is a small minded loser.

Mods can we have a rule where you just delete posts from these arguments once they stop being relevant to the topic at hand? Its so boring reading pointless tit for tat about who said what when, and it doesnt seem to be that rare anymore. Its just tiresome even having to scroll through it so I'd imagine itd be even worse for you having to actually read the whole thing
76woodenspooners Vicky Park Magpie Girl

PP, I dont think any of us got back to you on this, and I see that the two 'offenders' (;)) have kissed and made up (so to speak). I agree that a long tit for tat argument is distracting and tedious, and best not engaged in. Next time I'll try to be more vigilant, and hover nearby with the 'delete' button!:eek:

PP, I dont think any of us got back to you on this, and I see that the two 'offenders' (;)) have kissed and made up (so to speak). I agree that a long tit for tat argument is distracting and tedious, and best not engaged in. Next time I'll try to be more vigilant, and hover nearby with the 'delete' button!:eek:
Tedious for some, an entertaining diversion for others.:cool:

Marley should have got jail time, mainly because he pleaded not guilty. I would have had no problem with the sentence if he had of plead guilty.

But it was a pretty serious assault with pretty serious consequences. If we as a society are going to give people the benefit of the doubt in cases like this, a guilty plea should be an absolute non-negotiable. How can we believe people will not commit further crimes if they won't even take full responsibility for a crime they have just committed?

I like Marley and don't think he will do anything like this again. But this verdict is part of the reason our assault rates are currently so high.

Marley should have got jail time, mainly because he pleaded not guilty. I would have had no problem with the sentence if he had of plead guilty.

But it was a pretty serious assault with pretty serious consequences. If we as a society are going to give people the benefit of the doubt in cases like this, a guilty plea should be an absolute non-negotiable. How can we believe people will not commit further crimes if they won't even take full responsibility for a crime they have just committed?

I like Marley and don't think he will do anything like this again. But this verdict is part of the reason our assault rates are currently so high.

At the end of the day a rigorous and strict WA legal system and judge came up with this sentence. You are of course entitled to your opinion but I would put a greater emphasis upon what the judge thinks is the correct sentence, and that puts an end to the matter in my opinion.

The person who knows the most facts about the situation and the WA law decided that a 12 month suspended sentence is the best sentence.

I think to say that this verdict is part of the reason our assault rates are so high is a very long bow to draw.

Oh dear did you listen to none of the judges summation???????

Maybe your misgivings over the suspended sentence are ethically correct. However, in the greater scheme of things, in particular the 2014 prospects of our football team, perhaps the sentence reflects a standard of justice far beyond the comprehension of mere mortals not enlightened enough to be Pies supporters. This is no time to allow moral scruples to get the better of black and white allegiance. :)

At the end of the day a rigorous and strict WA legal system and judge came up with this sentence. You are of course entitled to your opinion but I would put a greater emphasis upon what the judge thinks is the correct sentence, and that puts an end to the matter in my opinion.

The person who knows the most facts about the situation and the WA law decided that a 12 month suspended sentence is the best sentence.

I think to say that this verdict is part of the reason our assault rates are so high is a very long bow to draw.

It cannot be proven, but I don't think it is a long bow. People get into punch ups with a higher frequency than they used to, and of course alcohol culture is part of that. But people tend to be subconsciously aware of the consequences, and people know the odds of getting in serious trouble for assault are quite low. Most incidents don't even get dealt with by police at any stage, and only the serious instances they even encounter are actually followed up.

You combine the small percentage of cases that actually go to court with incredibly lenient sentences, and I firmly believe it is having a considerable negative impact. But perhaps the language I used sounded too alarmist - I don't think we should be locking everyone up who gets in a bar fight and I am not suggesting it is the sole cause of some massive wave of violence. I just think sentences have gotten too soft, and plenty of intelligent legal eagles agree with me. Of course, there are also those that don't.

As I said, my main problem is the not guilty plea. If he had of plead guilty, I would agree with the sentence completely.

I expect to cop criticism for my post, seeing as everyone is Collingwood here. But I have a serious problem with a person who has been found guilty of GBH pleading not guilty, being found guilty and then copping a sentence that is what you would expect a person who plead guilty to get.

The judge is basically saying that someone who plead guilty would have got LESS than a one year suspended sentence. And I think that is pretty ridiculous.

It cannot be proven, but I don't think it is a long bow. People get into punch ups with a higher frequency than they used to, and of course alcohol culture is part of that. But people tend to be subconsciously aware of the consequences, and people know the odds of getting in serious trouble for assault are quite low. Most incidents don't even get dealt with by police at any stage, and only the serious instances they even encounter are actually followed up.

You combine the small percentage of cases that actually go to court with incredibly lenient sentences, and I firmly believe it is having a considerable negative impact. But perhaps the language I used sounded too alarmist - I don't think we should be locking everyone up who gets in a bar fight and I am not suggesting it is the sole cause of some massive wave of violence. I just think sentences have gotten too soft, and plenty of intelligent legal eagles agree with me. Of course, there are also those that don't.

As I said, my main problem is the not guilty plea. If he had of plead guilty, I would agree with the sentence completely.

I expect to cop criticism for my post, seeing as everyone is Collingwood here. But I have a serious problem with a person who has been found guilty of GBH pleading not guilty, being found guilty and then copping a sentence that is what you would expect a person who plead guilty to get.

The judge is basically saying that someone who plead guilty would have got LESS than a one year suspended sentence. And I think that is pretty ridiculous.

I think most people will agree the sentence was definitely one of the best possible results marley could of gotten.

I have no problem with first time offenders who are at low risk of re-offending getting a lenient sentence.

If Marley punches another bloke in another nightclub incident soon I also wouldn't have a problem if he went away for 2 years

Don't be the coward?

That's what you took away from this?
Yep. Don't be a person who is contemptibly lacking in the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things.
Unpleasant as it might seem, the right call was to walk away rather than engage in the second incident. I'm damn sure Marley endured with courage and handled himself as much as he could in a 3 on 1 beating, but unfortunately he didn't/couldn't fight on until later when the original fight was over. Obvious the two are linked but he risked a lot by letting pride motivate him to continue on outside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back