News When is Marley getting sentenced? Announced today!

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes he is according to the Buckley from the ABC sport news.:p:D
The AFL is going to sift through the judge's comments according to the HS:
THE AFL will sift through the sentencing remarks of the judge in Marley Williams’ case before forming a view on the Collingwood defender’s imminent return to football.

THE AFL will sift through the sentencing remarks of the judge in Marley Williams’ case before forming a view on the Collingwood defender’s imminent return to football.
But the AFL won't stop Marley from playing AFL this year! Surely not? What happens to all the euphoria we've expressed over the verdict if the AFL then decides that Marley will not play in 2014? If a ban is applied to Marley, I am not sure that I could restrain myself from entering AFL headquarters with some sort of assault weapon and wiping out those responsible for his exclusion!:mad::mad:

Didn't know what thread to put in and am happy for it to be moved, but since Marley will be good to go soon:

Toovey. Brown. Marley
. Maxwell
Frost. Keeffe. Fasolo

Lubumba Pendle. Caff (perhaps only if a tagged is needed?)

Elliott. Cloke. Sidey

Reid. White.

Grundy. Beams. swan

From: Young/ball/goldy/Adams/Sinclair/Kennedy/ J Thomas/ Blair/ Langdon /Witts/seedsman

Last edited:

But the AFL won't stop Marley from playing AFL this year! Surely not? What happens to all the euphoria we've expressed over the verdict if the AFL then decides that Marley will not play in 2014? If a ban is applied to Marley, I am not sure that I could restrain myself from entering AFL headquarters with some sort of assault weapon and wiping out those responsible for his exclusion!:mad::mad:

Surely the law is higher than the AFL. He is already committed to working with the Salvos. the AFL just need to be seen to be doing something- probably make him see Anger Management Counselling.

Surely the law is higher than the AFL. He is already committed to working with the Salvos. the AFL just need to be seen to be doing something- probably make him see Anger Management Counselling.
If the AFL do anything I will be angry :mad::mad::mad:
Whatever you think of Marley's sentence, it is for the law to judge a player's actions, not the AFL

Collingwood must go to the Supreme Court on restraint of trade if the AFL try to stop our listed player from fulfilling his employment.
I can think of no other employment situation where a person convicted of a crime, but put on a good behaviour bond, is restricted from doing his job.
The only caveat there would be if your employment contract specifically stated a morals clause. As the AFL is now trawling through a judges comments, I'm assuming such a clause is not in the standard player contract.
I expect Luke Ball, in his AFLPA role to comment.

It would be a disgrace if the AFL does anything.

Already had a 5 game suspension effectively, plus months of community work for the salvos plus the court punishment.

I don't think they are stupid enough to step in here, they just want to make sure they look like they are keeping an eye on it for the image of the game.

Collingwood must go to the Supreme Court on restraint of trade if the AFL try to stop our listed player from fulfilling his employment.
I can think of no other employment situation where a person convicted of a crime, but put on a good behaviour bond, is restricted from doing his job.
The only caveat there would be if your employment contract specifically stated a morals clause. As the AFL is now trawling through a judges comments, I'm assuming such a clause is not in the standard player contract.

If clubs start taking the AFL to court for everything they don't like the competition quickly falls apart.

they just want to make sure they look like they are keeping an eye on it for the image of the game.

Essendon drugs. Hird gets paid 2 years in 1.
Essendon Captain admits to injecting drug, yet retains Brownlow medal.
Former WC player is put into rehab with a long term drug problem. A problem never detected by the AFL.

How's that image of the game going?

Essendon drugs. Hird gets paid 2 years in 1.
Essendon Captain admits to injecting drug, yet retains Brownlow medal.
Former WC player is put into rehab with a long term drug problem. A problem never detected by the AFL.

How's that image of the game going?

Essendon ruined the image of the game, not the AFL.

If clubs start taking the AFL to court for everything they don't like the competition quickly falls apart.

Agreed.
But this is above a "don't like" scenario.
This is an individual who has been judged by the law and found to be guilty, but with provocation. And the law has given him a lifeline to make something of his life. Instead of costing the WA taxpayer 100K P.A., he is free to turn his life around.
How does the AFL consider itself to be above this lawful decision.

And are they about to announce a punishment for the WC player who is actually doing time?

And furthermore, yes one more rant, wasn't it the AFL who only a few years ago embraced, in fact promoted, the return of a jailbird to the ranks as a good and positive thing for the community?
You should know who I'm talking about, and you should know just how the AFL should be bought to account for its hypocrisy.

To me that statement from the AFL is pretty standard.

They cant just turn a blind eye and not make a comment or action on the situation. Nothing will come of it, however they always seem to have a history of wanting to look like they arent condoning any wrong behaviour.

Agreed.
But this is above a "don't like" scenario.
This is an individual who has been judged by the law and found to be guilty, but with provocation. And the law has given him a lifeline to make something of his life. Instead of costing the WA taxpayer 100K P.A., he is free to turn his life around.
How does the AFL consider itself to be above this lawful decision.

And are they about to announce a punishment for the WC player who is actually doing time?

And furthermore, yes one more rant, wasn't it the AFL who only a few years ago embraced, in fact promoted, the return of a jailbird to the ranks as a good and positive thing for the community?
You should know who I'm talking about, and you should know just how the AFL should be bought to account for its hypocrisy.

For the AFL to be acting above the law they would be trying to overrule the courts decision with their own penalties. If they WERE to do something it would be as an addition to the courts decision as they could easily say Marley has brought the game into disrepute. Every player can be fined/suspended/de-registered by the AFL for a number of reasons quite legally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon ruined the image of the game, not the AFL.
Yes.
But the AFL appear to want to protect the image of the game in this case.
The AFL had the opportunity to protect the image of the game tarnished by a Essendon, but meakly rolled over on every point. The Hird wage being the final belly up AFL position.
Why then are the AFL happy to protect the fame from Marley, yet failed to protect the image of the game from Hird, Watson and co?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-23/williams-may-play-in-vfl

AFL deputy CEO Gillon McLachlan suggested Williams had been adequately punished.

"Andrew Dillon and the integrity team have been working through it with [Collingwood CEO] Gary Pert and his team," he told AFL.com.au in Canberra.

"I know he's already been out [voluntarily] for five weeks, so that's a significant penalty in itself."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-23/williams-may-play-in-vfl

Sounds like we're getting worried a bit unnecessarily here.

Its possible to use AFL Rule 1.6 if they wanted to

It would be a disgrace if the AFL does anything.

Already had a 5 game suspension effectively, plus months of community work for the salvos plus the court punishment.

I don't think they are stupid enough to step in here, they just want to make sure they look like they are keeping an eye on it for the image of the game.
yep. He missed 2 pre-season games an now at last 5 AFL games. He plays AFL from round 8, IMO because he needs some gametime in the VFL.

Williams looks a certainty to play VFL this week and AFL after round 8 according to media reports and AFL statements. I think we can now put this discussion to bed and move on to topics of a more pleasant nature, such as how we are going to fit Williams, Seedsman, Reid, Adams and Brown etc into our currently successful line up. We are facing the prospect of having an embarrassment of riches in the playing group. Where is that pesky penguin THATSGOLD? It would be interesting to get his take on the newly formed level of optimism that pervades our forum.

I am not sure if this post is serious or not? I think most employment contracts have the ability to fire someone if they are convicted of a crime, I know most professional industries don't allow you to do that occupation if you are convicted of a serious crime.

The AFL cannot stop Marley playing, that would be a restraint of trade, the law has spoken, he has been handed his punishment and is free to resume normal life but must stay out of any further trouble. AFL just a little behind on this one and trying to catch up me thinks.

I am not sure if this post is serious or not? I think most employment contracts have the ability to fire someone if they are convicted of a crime, I know most professional industries don't allow you to do that occupation if you are convicted of a serious crime.
The contract is with the club not the league

Meh the AFL just has to be seen to be doing something, shuffling some papers around and tut tutting a bit to appease Herald Sun readers.
Marley to play VFL this weekend and AFL week 8 onwards pending form of the team and Marley. Pencil it in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back