Mega Thread 2014 Drafts complete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys -

The Sandringham Dragons were kind enough to allow my Youtube show - Beyond the Boundary - to interview highly rated inside midfielder and potential top-10 draft pick Angus Brayshaw this week.

We spoke to Angus about the challenges and pressure of being a highly rated youngster, his future goals both in and outside of football, his strengths and weaknesses as a player, and much more.

It's a great watch - I'd love for you to check it out!

I'm already picturing him in a Demons guernsey.

I'm watching the U18 Champs on foxtel atm... Stretch is playing well for South Aus, and is getting decent raps from the commentators (including Shifter) who reckon we will probably take him with our second round pick.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Apart from Boourns, Neelds recruiting wasn't a total disaster... Just his coaching was

At best the jury is still well and truly out on that one. Everyone recruited in 2011 is gone now. Can't see any raging success stories out of his recruiting yet.

Clark - quit
Taggert - dud
Tynan - dud
Sellar - dud
Sheehan - dud
Couch - dud
Magner - tool and dud
Williams - dud

Viney - F/S, so credit to him for picking up Son of Todd...
Byrnes - dud
Gillies - dud
Rodan - dud?
Dawes - serviceable?
Barry - TBD
Hogan - promising, but TBD
Toumpas - TBD... Wines
Kent - TBD
M.Jones - serviceable
Terlich - serviceable?
Stark - dud
Clisby - TBD

butters88

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
At best the jury is still well and truly out on that one. Everyone recruited in 2011 is gone now. Can't see any raging success stories out of his recruiting yet.

Clark - quit
Taggert - dud
Tynan - dud
Sellar - dud
Sheehan - dud
Couch - dud
Magner - tool and dud
Williams - dud

Byrnes - dud
Gillies - dud
Rodan - dud?
Dawes - serviceable?
Barry - TBD
Toumpas - TBD... Wines
Kent - TBD
M.Jones - serviceable
Terlich - serviceable?
Stark - dud
Clisby - TBD
Did he have a lot to do with the 2011 draft?

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

He was hired in September, and the draft is in November. If he was competent and serious about his job he would've been involved, so I don't know.

Taggert and Tynan were both meant to be tough, nuggety types drafted to balance out the soft flankers of the Bailey era. Oops.
Neeldy was so pleased when Rory sent him that follow up email.

wowlace

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2010
Kewarra Beach
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Washington Wizards

Clark - quit
Taggert - dud
Tynan - dud
Sellar - dud
Sheehan - dud
Couch - dud
Magner - tool and dud
Williams - dud

Byrnes - dud
Gillies - dud
Rodan - dud?
Dawes - serviceable?
Barry - TBD
Toumpas - TBD... Wines
Kent - TBD
M.Jones - serviceable
Terlich - serviceable?
Stark - dud
Clisby - TBD

Where is PEDO?

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Prendergast quit shortly after this draft, and I remember the inference was that he wasn't in much control over the strategy and picks once Neeld had turned up.

To be fair to Neeld, he was right that BP probably shouldn't have been in charge of drafting - it's just a shame that neither should Neeld.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Where is PEDO?

Whoops, add him to the 2012 list. That one has probably been his best signing to date (on this season's form, not last year's).

butters88

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
To be honest when you look at our recruiting 2008 onwards, I don't think Bailey and Neeld were the problem in that area.
I wonder if our drafting has really been that bad? Look at what Roos has done with some real spuds, ie. Pedo, Jetta, even Watts and Viney seem to have stepped up

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I wonder if our drafting has really been that bad? Look at what Roos has done with some real spuds, ie. Pedo, Jetta, even Watts and Viney seem to have stepped up

Yep, our development environment was total garbage as well. Seems like there was very little done to AFL standard in all areas.

Pedo was very useful at North - I don't think anyone had any issues with bringing him in, more that we gave up Gysberts to get him (another high draft pick) when we had zero midfield depth (and still do).

Not sure Viney has stepped up, he was one of our best midfielders last year despite it being his first season.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Petracca looks perfect. Strong, tall and kicks goals. He finished school last year so that, along with his size, means he'll be more "ready to go".

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Pettraca looks the goods to me

I know a guy who is a family friend

He reckons he just excels at every thing he does
Yeah I went to school and played footy with his brothers, they were always gun footballers and he is obviously the pick of the bunch. Bit of aggression to go with that size aswell, will be very much an Ollie Wines but with a better ability to go forward take marks and kick goals.

Would hate us to pass over him, if we finish where we are there is a good chance he will be available as saints and Brisbane a crying out for KPF. GWS codcod take him although I would think they will look at a KPD.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Petracca had 32 possessions, 10 marks and 5 goals on the weekend.

Callum Twomey seems to think he's firming as the number 1 pick.

Disappointing in that he is the absolute prototype of the classy, big bodied, high output mid that we really need. The players that most are rating around picks 2-5 are all talls.

I can see us trading out of an early pick again.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Petracca had 32 possessions, 10 marks and 5 goals on the weekend.

Callum Twomey seems to think he's firming as the number 1 pick.

Disappointing in that he is the absolute prototype of the classy, big bodied, high output mid that we really need. The players that most are rating around picks 2-5 are all talls.

I can see us trading out of an early pick again.

Depends on where we finish, If we can't beat GWS or Brisbane then there is still a chance that we finish in the bottom 2. Meaning if we think Petracca will be available we will most likely keep that pick and take him, if Roos thinks he wont be available at our first pick then we are better off trading our top pick and trying to get in some talent.

Will be an interesting remaining 5 rounds.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
"Top 4" can still go any way, although looks likely that St Kilda will finish bottom given their run home and percentage. Then again, they just dusted up Freo. We've got games against GWS and Brisbane, both at home, so we're probably in the box seat to finish 4th last.

15 GWS Giants 17 4 13 0 1387 1887 73.5 WLLLL RICH 16
16 Melbourne 17 4 13 0 1040 1425 73 LLLLL BL 16
17 Brisbane Lions 16 4 12 0 1033 1632 63.3 LLWLL GCFC 16
18 St Kilda 17 4 13 0 1127 1831 61.6 LLLLW GCFC 16

Remaining games:
GWS - Richmond (a), North (h), Melbourne (a), Collingwood (h), Bulldogs (a)
Melbourne - Brisbane (h), Hawthorn (a), GWS (h), West Coast (a), North (a)
Brisvegas - Gold Coast (h), Melbourne (a), Adelaide (h), Collingwood (a), Fremantle (h), Geelong (a)
St Kilda - Gold Coast (a), Bulldogs (h), Sydney (a), Richmond (a), Adelaide (a)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back