When we beat Geelong, Will you forgive everything?

Aug 28, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wondering when we beat Geelong and cement ourselves in the top 8 will you forgive the side?

Everyone was crying in 2013 because we couldn't beat a side in the 8 and when we beat Geelong

we would have beaten Hawthorn, Geelong, Fremantle, Sydney & Port who are the top 5 by a mile.

Will a win over Geelong get you back on the bandwagon or what will it take?

scooby1279

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangaroos
forgiven but not forgotten.... Beating geelong will just show where the players minds are when playing lower rank sides and until they play consistent footy every week no matter who the opponent is then i will forgive them.

I will enjoy the win but I will know in the back of my mind that we could have achieved more this year than we are going to.

I think we will still finish top 6, this meets my expectations from the start of the year.

Given our top end footy, we could have finished in the top 4 and had a go at a flag.

That is gone now.

I don't see a need to forgive anything. I'm and emotionally invested supporter. The losses piss me off, the wins bring me enjoyment. We could have done better and didn't, them having my forgiveness means nothing. Likewise my annoyance only really effects me and those around me and people who read the s**t I spout on here.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I'll be thrilled with winning. Seriously.

However as OF says it'll probably lead to yet ANOTHER nagging post-season feeling of what could've been.

2012 we took out 2 other finals bound teams en route to the finals before collapsing in a heap.

2013 we never got belted and had just about ever side under control before lapsing badly.

We are truly the new coodabeens.

Mr. Blonde

Premiership Player
Dec 16, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Personally, I think a win over Geelong will only add to the frustration. Like everyone else I will thoroughly enjoy the win if it happened, but still have that sinking feeling that another poor performance is just around the corner.

justroyal

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Are you serious? If the players even take a glance of something with such confidence they will most certainly not show up.

Nah, I think for me to get any sense of satisfaction would be a) a win b) the 50-100 gamers contribute the most for four quarters. You know who you are..

May 16, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I will enjoy the win but I will know in the back of my mind that we could have achieved more this year than we are going to.

I think we will still finish top 6, this meets my expectations from the start of the year.

Given our top end footy, we could have finished in the top 4 and had a go at a flag.

That is gone now.

I don't see a need to forgive anything. I'm and emotionally invested supporter. The losses piss me off, the wins bring me enjoyment. We could have done better and didn't, them having my forgiveness means nothing. Likewise my annoyance only really effects me and those around me and people who read the s**t I spout on here.

Nailed it. Bolded parts in particular.

I'll be thrilled with winning. Seriously.

However as OF says it'll probably lead to yet ANOTHER nagging post-season feeling of what could've been.

2012 we took out 2 other finals bound teams en route to the finals before collapsing in a heap.

2013 we never got belted and had just about ever side under control before lapsing badly.

We are truly the new coodabeens.

And that hurts more than any individual loss.

Do people understand how close we could be to actually achieving something if we rocked up to play every week?

Top 4 could have been a reality if we beat teams that are quite clearly inferior to us.

Aug 28, 2011
Beyond Reproach
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
UAE Team Emirates
I just find it strange that many on here would be less upset with the season if we had beaten Brisbane and Carlton but lost to Hawthorn and Sydney.

Forget this "I'll be frustrated" business. We can mix it with the best. Fixing inconsistency is much easier than fixing not being good enough.

I just find it strange that many on here would be less upset with the season if we had beaten Brisbane and Carlton but lost to Hawthorn and Sydney.

Forget this "I'll be frustrated" rubbish. We can mix it with the best. Fixing inconsistency is much easier than fixing not being good enough.

Why couldn't we just beat them all?

Carlton and Brisbane are not better sides than us.

Brisbane is not anywhere near us currently, We should have beaten them by 25 goals the first time round ffs. To go from that to what we served up at the Gabba is season killing.

I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this game. Many on here think it's a foregone conclusion that we will beat the cats. I know opinions on bigfooty don't reflect or effect the team attitude but this is a really important game and one we're gonna have to be 100% switched on to win. They won't make it easy.

Engimal

Cancelled
10k Posts North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor Pantskyle Minecraft Shiny Penny Ruby
Apr 27, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
North Melbourne
"When we beat Geelong?"

Some people putting a bit too much faith in recurring themes. If we play against Geelong like we played against Carlton, they'll absolutely tear us apart.

scooby1279

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangaroos

Forget this "I'll be frustrated" business. We can mix it with the best. Fixing inconsistency is much easier than fixing not being good enough.

i haven't read anyone on here who have said that? Fact is we have beaten the top teams and lost to the bottom teams so expectations should be very high therefore we should have beaten brisbane and carlton.

I'll be bloody pumped if we manage to knock over the Cats, and secretly hoping like hell that it's the re-launching of our assault on the 2014 finals..............same as I was after we beat Hawthorn! *bites nails*

The lost opportunity to sail into September from a lofty and safe posi will not be forgotten, nor forgiven, but the season isn't over yet. We can still roar into the finals on the back of a string of impressive wins and I'll be hoping like hell that a win over the very tough to beat Cats will be the start of that run.

Our insipid performances against lesser sides cannot be swept under the rug, in the broader scheme of things, but I hope like f***ing hell the current break has us coming up with solutions to avoid doing similar again.

I no longer trust or believe in the playing group because I dont know if they will turn up. My stance over the past week is-
I turn up each week VS
The players turn up when they feel like it.

I will forgive when they are consistent in effort.
Doesnt mean the club wont have my support.
You look at the majority of past players today and they will never be as fanatical or passionate about the joint as we are. Hence they are temporary custodians of the NMFC but we members are the life of the place.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Big IF for beating Geelong, who haven't lost a game in Victoria this season and find a way to win even when they are far from their best.

And it's not a case of forgiving. Nothing I do (except possibly wearing the hoodie out and about a bit more) will change whether we beat Geelong or not. I'm in regardless. If we beat Geelong I will be pretty delighted, if not - especially if we play poorly - I'll be pretty disappointed. And then, either way, I'll look forward to the following week.

BowWow1978

All Australian
Feb 6, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't see any reason to forgive. Most on here have summed it up perfectly. I'll be happy with the win, but frustrated about lack of effort and heart in losses and sh*tting myself that it will happen against GWS the week after.
I'm a realist, I don't expect us to win every single game, however I do expect a minimum standard of effort. I'll take a loss if the players have tried their guts out. When we lose to Brisbane/Carlton, it's because the players have not tried as hard as they should. Carlton's uncontested marks last Friday highlight that if you had any doubt.

davefromjerra

All Australian
Mar 3, 2005
Magnetic Island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It really depends on how we play. I've seen Geelong put in some shockers this season and we might beat them without playing particularly well.

Supporters are upset with the Brisbane and Carlton losses, but I think the loss to Geelong was just as bad. They were under strength and if we had been switched on from the start we would have beaten them easily. The excuse that we were playing them at home is just a cop out. The fact that they added Stevie J to their team and got walloped by over a 100 the next week says a lot.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nah.

We start playing with consistency against all teams and then I will forgive and forget.

Back