When will Alastair Clarkson get the credit he deserves?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been a big fan of this guy without wavering since the story (urban legend?) of his telling Dermott and Dunstall to "get the f### off his training track" first emerged...just brilliant...the 2005 to 2008 years are the most enjoyable I ever had as a Hawk supporter, surpassing the 1980's which happened in my teens...his ability to adapt is amazing...

Great coach, better than everyone else running around at the moment by a street...

Time of season cost him in 2008 but even then I don't think one game should decide who wins, Bomber was clearly the best coach for mine. Should of won in either 2012 or 2013, god knows how Hickely didn't win it this year.

Really, though, I can't imagine a proud and successful man like Horse savouring a Mickey Mouse award, when he missed the real prize.

An amazing coach who is a great teacher too. The best in the business by that far it isn't funny. To get players playing with flair and skill and always backing themselves to win out against negative football is such a tough thing to do: it is much easier getting them to win games by being negative. Hawthorn are the benchmark in the competition and they are the benchmark because of their fantastic coach and teacher who challenges his players to be the best they can be by show-casing their skills. The Hawks are a joy to watch for any true football supporter.

Do we think Clarko will extend past his current end-of-2016 contract?

Hope so. Clarkson needs to coach into 2017 to break John Kennedy Snr's record of 299 games as coach. Would be the final piece in the puzzle.

As an aside this is a terrific pre game article:

AFL grand final: are Hawthorn led by their greatest ever coach

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...are-hawthorn-led-by-their-greatest-ever-coach

The 2014 Hawks are perhaps the best coached team in football history. Alastair Clarkson is now on a par with the great John Kennedy...

I totally agree.

Have never understood the whole coach of the year thing.

Does anybody really think Horse should have that trophy over Clarko?

Stupid award

The "coach of the year" was always an encouragement award for the new coach who managed to rapidly improve one of the bottom teams and get them into an Elimination Final.

It goes without saying the Jock McHale Medal is the real award.

Jeff Kennett cops a lot of s**t for wanting to sack Clarko (or drop him to Box Hill:D) but there were plenty of Hawk fans back in 2005-06 and also 2010-11, who were questioning if he was the right man for the job. It's unbelievable when you think about it. Similar to Bomber Thompson after 2006, or Kevin Sheedy in 1996-97, or Mick Malthouse in 2008-09.

Four of the most fabled coaches of the past 20 years whose jobs were at risk immediately prior to them dominating the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The "coach of the year" was always an encouragement award for the new coach who managed to rapidly improve one of the bottom teams and get them into an Elimination Final.

It goes without saying the Jock McHale Medal is the real award.

Jeff Kennett cops a lot of s**t for wanting to sack Clarko (or drop him to Box Hill:D) but there were plenty of Hawk fans back in 2005-06 and also 2010-11, who were questioning if he was the right man for the job. It's unbelievable when you think about it. Similar to Bomber Thompson after 2006, or Kevin Sheedy in 1996-97, or Mick Malthouse in 2008-09.

Four of the most fabled coaches of the past 20 years whose jobs were at risk immediately prior to them dominating the AFL.

I'll admit I was one of them - our 2009 and 2010 seasons were abysmal considering the talent we had in 08. The mismanagement of Franklin for example, who came back in 2009 as some sort of Tony Lockett-lite was disgraceful. People talk about the injuries but some of them were self-inflicted through training etc.

Clarko also persisted with the cluster as our only game plan for a season too long.

However the club persisted with Clarko and he learned his lessons well. Players came back at the beginning of this year FITTER than they were at the end of last year for example while the use of multiple plans, sometimes within games makes the Hawks at times unplayable. It was quite amusing to see the Cluster back for large parts of the GF as well.

There's a lesson in this about sticking with coaches if you feel you have the right man and giving them the opportunity to rectify the situations. Mid to long term solutions are necessary to build a club - and a couple of bad seasons aren't the worst thing IF they ensure those mistakes don't happen again.

Would anyone care to expand on just how this has been done?

Primarily through elite kicking. We were able to hit up targets to ensure the flood/frontal pressure was effectively taken out. Most sides tried to handball through it and failed, we just methodically kicked our way through it. By doing that we forced more gaps and were then able to run hard and spread well.

Yup, he had learned very well from past failures. He's always been an innovator than the chasing pack. So far is paid off the risks he had taken. I have confidence in him that when we slide down in the next few years, he will be able to bring us back up. Or even keep us up for that duration.

Yup, he had learned very well from past failures. He's always been an innovator than the chasing pack. So far is paid off the risks he had taken. I have confidence in him that when we slide down in the next few years, he will be able to bring us back up. Or even keep us up for that duration.

I would expect some sliding off - however this year shows that a good system can cover the loss of superstars. If we manage the retirements well we should be ok.

Hope so. Clarkson needs to coach into 2017 to break John Kennedy Snr's record of 299 games as coach. Would be the final piece in the puzzle.

As an aside this is a terrific pre game article:

AFL grand final: are Hawthorn led by their greatest ever coach

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...are-hawthorn-led-by-their-greatest-ever-coach
Still have to give the edge to Kanga, JUST, from where we came from. Dragged us from being the absolute laughing stock of the entire league, the ultimate easybeats, to an absolute powerhouse. That must be given its due. But damn Clarko's right up there among the absolute greats now.

I would expect some sliding off - however this year shows that a good system can cover the loss of superstars. If we manage the retirements well we should be ok.
It's a fine line between making the most of our current seniors and allowing the youngsters enough game time to improve enough to either replace them in a few years or know if they're good enough to. I think 2016 we will slide for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back