When you build sans foundations....

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/go...rs-and-god-squad/story-fndv7pj3-1227419578277

Gold Coast lifestyle is like the Russian Winter....it's no military secret....

Yes, this is an Expansion Policy Criticism, not a poke specifically at the Suns. They are doing the best they can in a very difficult environment.

It's a clear example of the AFL thinking they can do best simply because they have dollars and perceive themselves to be the biggest - AND ACT ACCORDINGLY.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I don’t buy the lifestyle bullshit

Party scenes are just as big in capital cities around Australia and players are surrounded and targeted by bad influences.

GC simply completely cocked up their recruiting strategy and recruited no senior leaders. Now they have culture problems. What a shock.

NathanMX

Premiership Player
Dec 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

Party scenes are just as big in capital cities around Australia and players are surrounded and targeted by bad influences.

GC simply completely cocked up their recruiting strategy and recruited no senior leaders. Now they have culture problems. What a shock.

Should send Big Mouth Goddard up there, that guy never shuts up ;) In return you would get yourself a nice young kid

DaVillaBlues

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New England Patriots, Man City
Explain the go home five (and Aish at the end of the season) from the Brisbane Lions, if not for cultural reasons ?

Nope, tend to agree that Gold Coast fudged their experienced recruits, Karmichael Hunt especially was a toxic influence at that club.

The so called 'God Squad' up there concerns almost as much as the party boys, allegedly skipping training sessions to attend church/religious ceremonies.

Roysforever

All Australian
Oct 28, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Fitzroy, Melbourne Storm
On the plus side the AFL has the balls to persevere.

The NRL went through the Seagulls and Giants from 1988 then a few other incarnations and even now the Gold Coast Titans are struggling. They just give up every time.

A lot of sporting bodies seem to struggle building a sustainable and viable entity on the Gold Coast. Even the Suns are the second attempt for a VFL/AFL team to be based on the Gold Coast.

NathanMX

Premiership Player
Dec 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
A lot of sporting bodies seem to struggle building a sustainable and viable entity on the Gold Coast. Even the Suns are the second attempt for a VFL/AFL team to be based on the Gold Coast.

Hopefully the AFL sticks at it longer then the NSWRL and now NRL do usually. I remember even Wally Lewis at the Gold Coast Seagulls was not enough to see them successful. Then again league is different in respects that Brisbane Broncos are one of the power teams, so have a lot of influence, it is no surprise the South East QLD Crushers did not last either.

Roysforever

All Australian
Oct 28, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Fitzroy, Melbourne Storm
Hopefully the AFL sticks at it longer then the NSWRL and now NRL do usually. I remember even Wally Lewis at the Gold Coast Seagulls was not enough to see them successful. Then again league is different in respects that Brisbane Broncos are one of the power teams, so have a lot of influence, it is no surprise the South East QLD Crushers did not last either.

I hope both organisations continue to support the Suns and Titans. Given it's a major population growth corridor in Australia they both will.

NathanMX

Premiership Player
Dec 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
I hope both organisations continue to support the Suns and Titans. Given it's a major population growth corridor in Australia they both will.

Definitely room for both, heck the Melbourne Storm alone prove there is room for all kinds of footy in any state. Perhaps one day the NRL will even resurrect the Adelaide Rams and Western Reds too.

Roysforever

All Australian
Oct 28, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Fitzroy, Melbourne Storm
Definitely room for both, heck the Melbourne Storm alone prove there is room for all kinds of footy in any state. Perhaps one day the NRL will even resurrect the Adelaide Rams and Western Reds too.

The Reds is definitely feasible and could potentially re-enter the league in the not-too-distant future. I wouldn't hold my breathe for the Rams or equivalent Adelaide team though.

but most of the other cities have s**t to do, there's only beaches and coke up there!!! the second part is a fair point though, guys like Krakouer and Bock aren't exactly Nick Riewoldt

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Stick a bunch of young, egomaniacal rich kids on a beach resort surrounded by T&A with plenty of downtime and see what happens. What could possibly go wrong?

Sep 5, 2007
Gippsland, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nashville predators
People in glass houses....

A lot of other players would be glad it's Gold Coast in the spotlight and not their club.

No doubt. No club would be completely clean, that is for sure.

I think the worst part for Gold Coast is they actually asked the players to come forward under the illicit drug code, no penalty, just be honest. No one stepped forward. Now up to 7 players have been implicated by campaigner. This on top of regular issues with alcohol keep cropping up.

Back