Status
Not open for further replies.

theta

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Most of us are quietly confident ahead of Saturday, seemingly more-so then any of the other GFs in recent years. But despite that, every side has their weaknesses. Where do you think ours will be this weekend?

I've already said my bit on Reid.

Other places that might be exploited.

Defense - Roughead/Hale - Teddy's been a little off lately.

Midfield - The outside run of Hill and Smith (and Rioli?). Who goes to them?
My calls -
Cunningham to Hill
?? to Smith

Forward - ??? We just have to kick straight.

Ruck - Big ask for Pyke. He has said Hale is the most dangerous ruck in the league. He'll have to deal with Hale and Cegler/McEvoy mostly by himself, in the best 'points from center bounce' team in the league. Something tells me we will see more of Tippett in the ruck this game than we have all year.

Where else do you see our weaknesses?

Where will Hawthorn likely attack us?

What will Hawthorn's strategies be?

Thread has been posted twice for some reason. Mods please remove the duplicate thread.

Last edited:

I say our clearance work because if you look at our clearances compared to teams we have been playing we lose the clearances a lot.

Good point. I've found this a little surprising this season given the quality of our midfield. May be Pyke being the no.1 has taken some time to adjust to.

Good point. I've found this a little surprising this season given the quality of our midfield. May be Pyke being the no.1 has taken some time to adjust to.

It hasn't just been this season either. It has been quite a while now that we have been losing the clearances and losing them quite comfortably. I just worry that giving Hawthorn first use of the ball could really be our downfall.

It hasn't just been this season either. It has been quite a while now that we have been losing the clearances and losing them quite comfortably. I just worry that giving Hawthorn first use of the ball could really be our downfall.
I'm probably wrong, but I thought our lower clearance numbers last year were due to Kennedy being injured (groin) and the change in structures Horse implemented (McVeigh playing in defense and the midfield rolling back to help our support an injured backline. This view is probably too simple though.

This year I dont see a good explanation for them not returning to 2012 numbers, apart from Pyke's 1st year as no.1 ruck.

If anyone knows or has a theory fill me in.

Certainly not ideal to lose clearances, but pretty sure we're up there for scores from turnovers. The ol' Geelong way when they were in their prime was to force a poor clearance through pressure then start a chain of movement from the HB line worked pretty well for us too.

I see our main weakness as bombing in our entries. First half of the Freo final was frustrating, and if we do that again, Suckling, Burgoyne et al will be hard to stop from exiting.

One on one contests like against Norf are the way to go.

Certainly not ideal to lose clearances, but pretty sure we're up there for scores from turnovers. The ol' Geelong way when they were in their prime was to force a poor clearance through pressure then start a chain of movement from the HB line worked pretty well for us too.

I see our main weakness as bombing in our entries. First half of the Freo final was frustrating, and if we do that again, Suckling, Burgoyne et al will be hard to stop from exiting.

It is actually why Reid is so important to the structure of the Swans as he is very good at forcing opposition defenders to split which means guys like Buddy and Tippett get a lot more one on one contests.

I remember seeing a stat on AFL360/OTC a couple of months ago. I think Sydney ranked no.1 for locking the ball in our 50 once it entered, but middle of the field for scoring from i50s (this a part of having a tall forward line imo, less effective below the knees). Scoring from turnovers was 3rd or 4th iirc.

Bombs will be gobbled up this weekend. Will be very frustrating if they rush too many kicks forward.

This weakness could be exorcised this week by our much vaunted midfield living up to their well lauded reputation.

1) Ted Richards on the lead against any forward
2) Ruck when Reid is in there
3) Nick Smith in marking contests inside 50
4) Josh Gibson as he inevitably won't have an opponent and will attempt regular fistings as 3rd man
5) Clearances when Kennedy is not there
6) Whoever of Smith/Hill that Cunningham isn't playing on

Not much really, plenty of areas of strength too

1) Ted Richards on the lead against any forward
2) Ruck when Reid is in there
3) Nick Smith in marking contests inside 50
4) Josh Gibson as he inevitably won't have an opponent and will attempt regular fistings as 3rd man
5) Clearances when Kennedy is not there
6) Whoever of Smith/Hill that Cunningham isn't playing on

Not much really, plenty of areas of strength too

That's 6 that are all feasible but how many do you think Hawthorn would have in regards to where we could gain the upper hand ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's 6 that are all feasible but how many do you think Hawthorn would have in regards to where we could gain the upper hand ?

Well our forward line is the obvious answer but I think we could potentially gain the upper hand off half back as well. If Malceski, Shaw and Rohan all have good to really good games then we will win.

I think our biggest weakness is probably pyschological - not being ready for Hawthorn's intensity, the way we got caught out by the Eagles in 2006. Unfinished business is a great motivator.

Goal kicking
Unable to get back on level pegging when our midfield gets dominated (Collingwood, Hawthorn) game.
Defenders isolated we operate as a team defence.
Opposition we play has beaten us 4 of the past 5 times.
Clarkson has a way of dismantling us unlike any other coach.

My take on our biggest weakness would be not playing with gears as we tend to do and as we did against them a few weeks ago at the G. Maintain momentum by maintaining intensity. Get the upper hand and put the foot on their throats and see how they respond. Freo done it in the second half a couple of weeks ago in Perth and they had no answer. Make no mistake they have some great players who make them the team they are but they have an equal number who are capable of jumping ship when it is sinking.

Goal kicking
Unable to get back on level pegging when our midfield gets dominated (Collingwood, Hawthorn) game.
Defenders isolated we operate as a team defence.
Opposition we play has beaten us 4 of the past 5 times.
Clarkson has a way of dismantling us unlike any other coach.

Out of Sydney and Hawthorn if one of the teams will lose this final due to inaccurate kicking it will be the Swans as our shots on goal this year have not been brilliant. Doesn't help that our two key forwards can both be unreliable in front of goals.

Think Hale or Ceglar/BB will get a hold of Pyke or just tapes to advantage in the centre allowing there mids first use ?

I just think our ruck division is relatively average pyke is serviceable, reid very average, tippett good but more s forward

I think we are gonna win so short answer is no mate

I think Rioli will be put in the forward pocket. This could definitely be a problem for our backline.

3) Nick Smith in marking contests inside 50 against Breust

I'd make that specifically against Breust. He's been strong against every other player but Breust has given him trouble, so strong is he.

Enormous match up this one. Ditto Gunston and Rampe. If we keep those two quiet (say under 4 goals between them), we'll be in a very good spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back