Oppo Camp Where Are the Swans At? (Serious Question)

Where are Sydney At?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith - Richards - Rampe
McVeigh - Grundy - Rohan
Jetta - Hannebery - Jack
McGlynn - Franklin - Parker
Reid - Tippett - Goodes
Pyke - Kennedy - Mitchell

That's not a bad starting 18. The obvious issue is that forward line is just so slow. Goodes needs to retire & Reid traded. Get a defensive forward and a small forward and they will be right. I'd also traded Jetta because he is a pea heart though.

Maybe...

Smith - Richards - Rampe
McVeigh - Grundy - Rohan
Jetta - Hannebery - Jack
McGlynn - Franklin - Parker
Robinson - Tippett - Garlett
Pyke - Kennedy - Mitchell

Both players would breach the rumoured no dickhead policy but the reality is Sydney need to be trying for a flag ASAP and both players fill the holes cheaply.

Thats quite brilliant

When you look at their list, and while I agree completely that the defense is a concern, the rest of the list is very strong and primed for a sustained run at success. Premierships, perhaps. Consistently top 4, definitely. Don't think that necessarily constitutes a dynasty but 2 premierships and frequent preliminary finals was North's dynasty in the 90s and Sydney already have 1 flag and three top 4 finishes, think they will probably get the same from the next three years. In any other time in history that is probably a dynasty, but with ours and Geelong's sustained run at success it probably changes the perception of Sydney's run without 2 more premierships to get them to three as well.

From a defensive point of view, they should be looking at moving Reid back. They guy needs to be settled in a position and I think he can become the defender they need down there to relieve Richards.

midfield and forward line strong, with Mitchell and Heeney to come in, plus whatever else they can garner from their little talent factories that are hidden from everyone else.

I actually think they would be better bringing in Membrey in place of Goodes and find another couple of small forwards to assist.

Rebounding defence could be a problem, however if Mitchell can hold down a midfield spot, McVeigh moves back and provides that run. They can also bringing in Laidler (handy, not special) and you'd hope Alex Johnson can finally get a proper crack at it.

I think they will still be there and there abouts for a couple of years.

Guys they're not that bad.

We exposed them, but I'm not sure any other teams could. We were at fl strength and everything clicked.

They've got issues but they've also got a pretty good thing going up there. As mch as I hate them they'll fill the gaps and compete again next year.

Their fearsome tall forward line is completely out of balance, and their backline is really shallow x

Their midfield is quite good, one of the better midfield's in the comp.

It's not a disaster - and buddy will get them over the line in 2 or 3 close ones.

They've got issues but they've also got a pretty good thing going up there. As mch as I hate them they'll fill the gaps and compete again next year.

Their fearsome tall forward line is completely out of balance, and their backline is really shallow x

Their midfield is quite good, one of the better midfield's in the comp.

✓ ✓ ✓

The Sydney based TV ratings for the Grand Final were the lowest of all their 5 GF's ('96, '05, '06, '12, '14)

The NSW populous have not embraced the Swans and no matter how many fluff pieces the North Korean Information Minister provides to the contray (Andrew Wu) the Buddy Franklin trade needs to be questioned...

Whilst membership and attendances have marginally improved (although not to a great degree) they're list development will be cooked in 5 years
I reckon that the low ratings coincide with the improvement in the Waratahs, a resurgent South Sydney & the continued development of the Western Sydney Wanderers. Their market share is rapidly diminishing. I don't think their effort on Saturday would have done them any good at all. Probably alienated the marginals that little bit further.

I'm actually quite looking forward to what the 2015 draw will look like now that they've finished 1st in the regular season and 2nd overall. In all fairness their draw should be very similar to ours. Will have some impact on how well they travel next year.

I'm actually quite looking forward to what the 2015 draw will look like now that they've finished 1st in the regular season and 2nd overall. In all fairness their draw should be very similar to ours. Will have some impact on how well they travel next year.

Would imagine:

Hawthorn v Geelong x 2
Hawthorn v Sydney x 2
Hawthorn v Port Adelaide x 2
Hawthorn v Fremantle x 2
Hawthorn v Collingwood x 2
Hawthorn v Essendon x 2

Sydney v GWS x 2
Sydney v Hawthorn x 2
Sydney v Port Adelaide x 2
Sydney v Fremantle x 2
Sydney v North Melborune x 2
Sydney v Melbourne x 2

Hopefully they are in trouble. They are slow. Tippett, Goodes, Reid, Grundy, Pyke and even Buddy are all big men. Hard for these guys to cover the turf all day. Makes it hard to stick tackles if you cannot catch your opponent and I cannot see us and Port slowing down.

Rampe is not very good. Malceski looks like he is walking. Tom Mitchell must be the greatest seconds player ever yet deemed to be not better than McGlynn, Bird or Lloyd. Laidler was an emergency so they have zero depth.

I think the cheque book may come out shortly.

I reckon the swans have set in motion the most brilliant coup in afl memory. Their plan isn't for this to be their premiership window. This is the time to bring money in with franklin. Their real window is in ten years when franklin is off their list and they suddenly have $520,000,000 in their salary cap. They will buy the entire free agency list at that point.

If they hadn't already got Franklin and Tippett they would be favourites to land Frawley. The outrage would be hilarious.

They could afford to do it if Malceski leaves, Reid gets traded, and Goodes steps away from the game.

Would imagine:

Hawthorn v Geelong x 2
Hawthorn v Sydney x 2
Hawthorn v Port Adelaide x 2
Hawthorn v Fremantle x 2
Hawthorn v Collingwood x 2
Hawthorn v Essendon x 2

Sydney v GWS x 2
Sydney v Hawthorn x 2
Sydney v Port Adelaide x 2
Sydney v Fremantle x 2
Sydney v North Melborune x 2
Sydney v Melbourne x 2

Only 5 teams play twice...

Play each team once... 17 games
Play 5 teams second time... 5 games

We won't get Essendon on a repeat.
Sydney will get Collingwood twice (prob over North) and they won't get Melbourne. If they get Melbourne and GWS twice then there needs to be a royal commission.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only 5 teams play twice...

Play each team once... 17 games
Play 5 teams second time... 5 games

We won't get Essendon on a repeat.
Sydney will get Collingwood twice (prob over North) and they won't get Melbourne. If they get Melbourne and GWS twice then there needs to be a royal commission.

Fair call.

Sydney to get Melbourne twice for the Paul Roos factor LOL. That is where I was heading with that.

They played North in a prelim, Collingwood didn't make the 8. Despite history, I think North-Sydney is more likely.

This is how their 2013 Draw was described
Connolly says: Has got off pretty lightly for a reigning premier. Swans get benefit of two GWS clashes and nice start to season, though finish is pretty challenging.
Connolly says: Hawks have clearly the toughest deal. Play every other member of 2012 top eight in first seven games, and all five return clashes against top eight teams.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ub-analysis-20121031-28imy.html#ixzz3EnXgxz4k

They obviously fixed up their tough run home for 2014 thinking that might have caused the Freo apocalypse last year.
It will be interesting to see what the AFL manufacture this year.
Maybe just try harder to hobble their opposition.

The Swans had an awful game on Saturday, but they're a long way from finished. There are enough stars in that side to make them a genuine premiership threat for the next few years, don't forget this is a team that looked the strongest side in the league for most of the year. I can't seem them falling apart again like that for a long time, just as we bounced back in 2013 they'll be looking to do the same.

Fair call.

Sydney to get Melbourne twice for the Paul Roos factor LOL. That is where I was heading with that.

They played North in a prelim, Collingwood didn't make the 8. Despite history, I think North-Sydney is more likely.

I think the formula for a top 6 team was 3-4 top 6, 1-2 middle 6, 0-1 bottom six.

Sydney will get 3 - 1 - 1
Because GWS is in the bottom 6 along with Melbourne, they'll have GWS. They'll only get 1 middle team which is why I went Collingwood (ANZ fixture). The top 3 would be Hawks (ANZ), Geelong (Sell out SCG) and probably Freo or Port.

Hawks will cop 4 - 1 - 0
Sydney, Geelong, Freo, Port, Collingwood. Port and Sydney likely to be games down in Launceston.

It's the make up of the draw that's going to be interesting. 6 days breaks, travel, and blocks of playing tough teams. Hawks will cop a rough start purely because of Easter Monday against Geelong. I expect Sydney week 2 on a Sunday down in Launceston. Probably Freo on saturday night over there.

The Swans will be back (unfortunately)... And equally bad is the fact that we're the ones that are the catalyst for a scary response from the red and white next year. Their list hadn't got any hugely glaring holes and they have good depth.

Their only issue is Hawthorn.... And thats a doozy!

Malceski is their best defender & is going due to salary-cap constraints with the Buddy & Tippet contracts increasing each year....Also, they lost Mumford, their best Ruckman & midfielder for similar reasons....Just look at what he did for GWS this season. No Mumford, then zero wins for GWS!

Their draw this year was so blatantly slanted in every way imaginable to favour them gaining a top 2 position....A fact ignored by almost every pundit when plonking all their hard-earned on them in the GF!

Will the AFL once more 'manipulate' the draw to such an extent again this year????....Now that it's all out in the open I doubt it, though wouldn't put it past them all the same.....This was the single defining factor in them gaining a Grand final place this year, whereas we have had to deal with the toughest 'handicapped' draw the past 4 years running.

As the 'Squiggle' rightly points out, 2012 was an anomaly.....We were buggered from the effort & the AFL railroading us at the end proved the final straw in tipping the scales that day....We have learnt from that & are now utilizing our squad far better in keeping our 'Guns' fresh for when it matters most!

If Johnson is able to return from his knee then he & Reid will lead their Key Positions in defence, though apparently Patfull from Brissy is heading to the Swans & now Merrett has also become 'gettable' as Brisbane look to load up on Draft picks!

McGlynn had his worst game in the GF for 10 weeks, but they do need 2 small/medium forwards with pace to assist him....4 talls is way too many & unbalances them....If their midfield doesn't win the battle, then they are 'farked' as was amply demonstrated this past week-end!

Probably still Top 4 with another midfield Gun in 'Heeney' to join them this year via their Academy, which, when combined with Mitchell's addition, makes their midfield possibly the deepest in the comp....That's nothing to sneeze at!

They need to strengthen their bottom 6. That's where the difference is.

They improve that by 50% and they are back

Their issue is the same as geelongs in 2008

They spent a season with their opponents refusing to take them on, in fear of what might happen
This meant they were rarely challenged and looked unbeatable
Like Geelong, they also peppered the goals, but never paid the price (I'm actually amazed that they were 8.3 in the grand final)
This season (like Geelong in 2008) they were bullies, seemingly giants, but when stood up to, fall

It will be interesting to see if they regroup (like Geelong) or fall further

Assuming
- Malceski goes
- Shaw continues to drop off then leaves
- Grundy ditto
- Richards ditto
- Tippet misses games due to chronic knee issues
- Franklin ditto

I can see them never making a GF again in Franklins time their.

I don't know much about the younger players on their list, other than Tom Mitchell is on a salary commensurate with the experience of Sam Mitchell, however lets leave that for another thread. The issue I see was what happened to them in 2013. They had a below par run with injury, not like us this year but it was not good and they struggled big time with depth to get them over the line. They were almost thereabouts still but we saw how it effected them when they came up against the bigger boys in the comp (us / Freo). They the get buddy, which ironically forces out a best 22 and more than handy depth (Lamb / Mumford). It now looks as though that decision will be the main reason that Malcieski (BOG for them in the GF by a country mile) leaves as he can't get the coin he is asking for (and deserves).

I said they will be thereabouts again and that is based on the fact they will get a reasonably favorable draw, they play the SCG so well and the still have a good team (obviously). If they get a couple of injuries to decent players they will struggle big time again and may be a risk of missing top 4, though I doubt they will miss the top 4 easily.

Still a good outfit with some issues around depth I think. I could be wrong but I doubt they have the available talent to cover any heavy losses to injury this year.

I think you can go back to recruiting. They stuffed up getting Tippett and Buddy. The mistake is fair enough given they did not know Buddy was available when they got Tippett (maybe they did) but they do not need both of them. 1/ Tippett is not that good - not $800k a year good. 2/ They both want the goal square - the Hawks had exactly the same problem with Rough and Buddy and Tippett is not half the player Rough is. Buddy might get considered a CHF but that position is basically dead. You want Buddy inside 50 taking marks and kicking goals from ground balls. 3/ Having both is the reason Mumford is gone - again Mumford is better than Tippett (and cheaper) and fills a direct need, and 4/ Getting both has completely destroyed Reid's development.

Their list is imbalanced. They are paying 4 key forwards about $2.5-3m a year and leaking required players everywhere else.

They were also immensely fortunate that a handful of first year players stood up this year. That saved them despite them not turning up on Saturday. But it also creates problems. At some point the Swans have to recontract these guys. They have created a list disaster. It has not completely unravelled yet but it will.

And they have to resign the gun midfielders who are on unders as well. And they have to do all of this while Buddy's salary is going north fast and CoLA is getting phased down.

And that is what makes Saturday such a disaster for them. They need to make hay while the sun shines and they didn't.

I do wonder what the smashing in the Grand Final will do to their collective psyche. If we look back at recent history, the sides that have been comprehensively defeated in a GF - St Kilda in 2010, Port in 2007, Collingwood in 2003 & even Sydney in 1996, have had their deficiencies exposed & have gone into a tailspin of form. In every case it has taken a major rebuild of several years - & in St Kilda's case, it will be several more.

The only exception in recent history to this is Geelong who managed to get pounded in the GF in successive years (94 & 95) before having to rebuild.

Back