Where are they now (delistings / retirements since 2005)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Schneider and Simon Taylor - "outs" at Vermont

VERMONT

Coach: Steve Cochrane

Last year: (14-4, 2nd, preliminary finalists)

Ins: Corey Cassidy (VAFA), Nathan Jumeau (Forest Hill), Daniel Mendes (Wimmera FL), Cal McConnon, Kirby McConnon, Wade McConnon, Joel Perry, Cam Purdy (East Ringwood).

Outs: David Barton, Justin van Unen (both Mt Eliza), Thomas Carmody, Nick Johnson, Dean Waller (all Wantirna South), Ash Froud (Warrandyte), Nathan Henley, Dean Millhouse, Ryan Mullett, Simon Taylor, (all Rye), Lachlan Johns, Rory Lehman (both Coburg VFL), Tom Schneider (injured).

Coach’s comments: “It’s a real step change. We might be really good this year, or it might be a year of rebuilding. Out of those guys that have left, six were around 32. They were fantastic players but with a new, young side, the vibe has been really refreshing. With young players you’re going to have great days and bad days. We’ll aim to make finals, but we have no grand plans.”

Tom Schneider and Simon Taylor - "outs" at Vermont

VERMONT

Coach: Steve Cochrane

Last year: (14-4, 2nd, preliminary finalists)

Ins: Corey Cassidy (VAFA), Nathan Jumeau (Forest Hill), Daniel Mendes (Wimmera FL), Cal McConnon, Kirby McConnon, Wade McConnon, Joel Perry, Cam Purdy (East Ringwood).

Outs: David Barton, Justin van Unen (both Mt Eliza), Thomas Carmody, Nick Johnson, Dean Waller (all Wantirna South), Ash Froud (Warrandyte), Nathan Henley, Dean Millhouse, Ryan Mullett, Simon Taylor, (all Rye), Lachlan Johns, Rory Lehman (both Coburg VFL), Tom Schneider (injured).

Coach’s comments: “It’s a real step change. We might be really good this year, or it might be a year of rebuilding. Out of those guys that have left, six were around 32. They were fantastic players but with a new, young side, the vibe has been really refreshing. With young players you’re going to have great days and bad days. We’ll aim to make finals, but we have no grand plans.”

reason for tommys out was he did his acl

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember Luke McEntee - former rookie listed ruckman?? Running around in Adelaide and played in the Southern League A grade GF and being named BOG!

Reynella wins Southern Football League premiership
September 27, 2015 10:39pm
Matt TurnerMessenger Community News

THIS one was all about redemption.
Redemption for a Southern Football League flag that slipped away 12 months ago after Reynella coughed up a 38-point lead in the grand final against Noarlunga.

And to help erase from their thoughts the heartbreaking end to that game, which the Wineflies never trailed until the Shoes’ Waylon Johncock booted a goal after the siren.
v1

Back in the grand final at Hickinbotham Oval on Saturday, Reynella never looked like throwing it away in an 18.7 (115) to 8.8 (56) hammering of Brighton.

“I know it (last season’s grand final) has stuck with them all year, as much as we don’t like to bring it up,” Wineflies coach Gianni Petrucci said.

“It’s been sitting in their guts and they even mentioned it before the game that they didn’t want that feeling again.
“Now they’ve got the opposite feeling.

“I’m just really proud of the boys and stoked for them, after last year especially.”

Reynella jumped out of the blocks on Saturday and was 24 points ahead at half-time.

It controlled possession through slick foot skills, unselfish play and a dominant midfield, led by best-on-ground ruckman Luke McEntee.

The Wineflies turned the screws – and sealed their second premiership in three years – with a seven-goal-to-two third term.

“It was about finishing the job and not getting caught up in what happened last year,” Petrucci said.

“We knew if we were able to roll out what we wanted to do and play the sort of game style we wanted, we would comfortably account of them.”

725f44a0bce146a1903bc9ee20f8edd8

Reynella’s Luke McEntee was best on ground in the SFL grand final. Picture: Roger Wyman.
McEntee’s older brother James booted five goals, while Codey Ellison, Ryan Mahony, Ryan Frick, Adam Broadbent and Shane Bradshaw were also in the Wineflies’ best.

Reynella’s A grade capped a huge day for the club, which also included B grade and under-16 premierships.

“We’ve been building for years to have sustained success,” Petrucci said.

“To have our B grade win today and under-16s as well means a hell of a lot.

“There’s so many people that put so much time into our footy club and this is just rewards for them.”

End of the road

FORMER Crow Michael Doughty fought back tears when he realised he was going to bow out of football with a second A-grade flag at his boyhood club, Reynella.

Doughty, 36, returned to the Wineflies in 2013 after retiring from the AFL and won a premiership that season.

In a short but stoic speech in the Reynella change rooms after Saturday’s grand final, he announced he was hanging up the boots entirely.

“It’s the club that I grew up with and it’s very special to go out with another flag,” Doughty told the Guardian Messenger.

“I knew it was my last game going in and I’ve never been so nervous, even playing AFL.

“I was soaking it in (during the fourth quarter), had a few tears and it was just a huge relief when the final siren went.”

Former Adelaide Crow Michael Doughty retired from football after winning the SFL grand final with Reynella on Saturday. Picture: Roger Wyman.
Doughty grew up around the corner from Reynella Oval and went on to play in four junior flags with the Wineflies.

His football journey took him to South Adelaide and then the Crows, where he played 231 games, but he rejoined Reynella to line up alongside mates.

He won the first senior flag of his career with the Wineflies in 2013 and last year played in the club’s heartbreaking four-point grand final loss to Noarlunga. “Last year was eating away at us for 12 months so to come back and get that redemption was great for the club and great for all the players.

“Ruthless footy was our mantra and today was the final piece of the puzzle.”

Doughty said finishing his football career at his childhood club had been really enjoyable. “It’s time for me to let it go and let the young blokes do their stuff.

“I’m sure there’s more premierships in this footy club yet.”

Probably not the place to put this, but I didn't want to create a separate thread.

There have been terrible fires to the north of Adelaide. It's just been reported that Luke McCabe has lost his property.

My thoughts are with him.

Probably not the place to put this, but I didn't want to create a separate thread.

There have been terrible fires to the north of Adelaide. It's just been reported that Luke McCabe has lost his property.

My thoughts are with him.

Forgot that Luke McCabe was from Adelaide
Hope he didn't start it!

He was a stalwart in a difficult time at the Hawks, so I wish him well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back